Are you offended by blasphemy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you offended by blasphemy?

Given the mix of religious/atheists here, I'm interested to hear how many of you are actually offended by posts that you might consider blasphemous. Do off colour comments about god/jesus/allah etc get you all riled up, or do you just consider it par for the course?
    I'm religious and am offended by blasphemy. It makes me angry you ****ing heathens!
    7.14%
    I'm religious and am offended by blasphemy. It makes me sad and hurt. :(
    0.00%
    I'm religious and am not offended by blasphemy. I'm not the one going to hell sucker!
    28.57%
    I'm an agnostic/atheist and am not offended by blasphemy, bible ****er!
    64.29%
    I'm an agnostic/atheist and am still offended by blasphemy! I am confused!
    0.00%

Can't be too offended or you wouldn't come here.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

How many religions actually have blasphemy laws? I know the 3 middle eastern ones with the same god do, but what about some of the polytheistic ones?
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Oohh good question. A quick google seems to indicate that Hindu's don't have it as a concept. Maybe if you have a pantheon of gods, blaspheming one might just mean you're supporting their rival.

Comment

I guess you will have to try harder to offend us kentonio.

Comment

I'm just interested to see how many people actually get offended and how many just don't care.

You forgot to vote btw.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
              I'm just interested to see how many people actually get offended and how many just don't care.

You forgot to vote btw.
              You forgot banana option noob!

It's not that I don't care, but I wouldn't say I get offended because people might get the wrong idea.

Comment

So you do get offended, you just don't want us to know that you do.
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                  So you do get offended, you just don't want us to know that you do.
                  As I tend to not say anything about obvious blasphemy, yes. Any sin is offensive to me. If you aren't offended by sin that's too bad.

Comment

Is blasphemy sin?

Comment

Given the mix of religious/atheists here, I'm interested to hear how many of you are actually offended by posts that you might consider blasphemous. Do off colour comments about god/jesus/allah etc get you all riled up, or do you just consider it par for the course?
                      Not really, no. Nothing I haven't said or done myself.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I guess it depends what you mean by "offended" and "blasphemy." When somebody posts something deliberately offensive just to be an *******, I mutter, "geez, what an *******." And then, generally, take pains not to respond to the troll. Especially not when it's Moby trotting out his one addle-brained excuse for an argument over and over again. If, OTOH, it's someone like you or gribbler asking a question about religion somewhat indelicately, I try to ignore the phrasing in the hopes of having something like an intelligent discussion--I assume the rudeness is largely unintentional or chalk it up to a marathon session with BK.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Not for the casual comments. Most people don't even know they're doing it sometimes. But when it's over the top, I find it a touch crass.
                          But then I feel the same for the other side of the coin. I'm ok with the casual comments but when some sanctimonious ass starts preaching, I find it annoying.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                            Oohh good question. A quick google seems to indicate that Hindu's don't have it as a concept. Maybe if you have a pantheon of gods, blaspheming one might just mean you're supporting their rival.
                            Isn't there a thread here on 'poly discussing actions taken against a "blasphemer" in India? Since Hindus make up the overwhelming majority of India's politicians it would seem likely that such a law would have to have been passed by Hindus.
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                              I guess it depends what you mean by "offended" and "blasphemy." When somebody posts something deliberately offensive just to be an *******, I mutter, "geez, what an *******." And then, generally, take pains not to respond to the troll. Especially not when it's Moby trotting out his one addle-brained excuse for an argument over and over again. If, OTOH, it's someone like you or gribbler asking a question about religion somewhat indelicately, I try to ignore the phrasing in the hopes of having something like an intelligent discussion--I assume the rudeness is largely unintentional or chalk it up to a marathon session with BK.
                              Your comments would be far more plausible if you stuck to what you yourself perceive to be the moral high ground. Instead, you find yourself right where you claim I'm supposed to reside...

Of course, I won't stoop so low as to claim you're trying to troll me, because if I disagree with someone I don't simply fall on the crutch of screaming 'troll' or 'anti-semite' or whatever other epithet or mud-slinging exercise someone resorts to when they can't defend their position in a more eloquent manner. What I would ask, however, is why you think it's perfectly acceptable to call me a troll when you're the one who's been following me through several threads lately and insulting me without any direct provocation against you...?

Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
                              X