Finally got a job!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
    I am not actually certain what the huge increase is going to pay for.

(I know you are attempting to be stupid and implying that the increase is due to increase wages/inflation or do to being 'modern' but I have shown that that (The first, at least) is not the case.)

JM
    No, I am not talking about inflation. It is obvious that most things have not inflated in price anywhere near that much. I was not being sarcastic.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
      It wasn't that far out of wack. Remember this was 40 years ago. Everything is at least 10 times more. A mustang is closer to 30000, and gas is more than 10x. My daughter just graduated from there a few years ago and her tuition was just under 4k so not much more than 10x. (granted it has gone up since) The biggest increases seem to have been in room and board.
      No, you seem to be exaggerating. "Everything" is 5.5x more than it was 40 years ago, not 10x more.
      The following form adjusts any given amount of money for inflation, according to the Consumer Price Index, from 1800 to 2022. Enjoy!

Comment

Sorry, I misread you (it was your last part: 'what a waste' that caused me to misread you).

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well I'm old, I'm expected to exaggerate. But I don't think it's as much as you think. Smokes were 50 cents a pack when I started smoking. When I quit, they were over 7 bucks (yes a lot of that increase was in taxes. My parents house was built for 47 grand and when they sold it (pre bust) it went for 500 k. So I'm not sure what is included in that index but it doesn't match my memory (memory ) and it is most likely that my memory extends prior to the 40 years and including things as far back as 50 years. I will concede that my estimates are not scientific since it's a limited number of examples.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
            Well I'm old, I'm expected to exaggerate. But I don't think it's as much as you think. Smokes were 50 cents a pack when I started smoking. When I quit, they were over 7 bucks (yes a lot of that increase was in taxes. My parents house was built for 47 grand and when they sold it (pre bust) it went for 500 k. So I'm not sure what is included in that index but it doesn't match my memory (memory ) and it is most likely that my memory extends prior to the 40 years and including things as far back as 50 years. I will concede that my estimates are not scientific since it's a limited number of examples.
            the thing that's really jarring though is that in the last 10 years alone the price of tuition doubled at most state universities, even when accounting for inflation.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Hmmm, I was only on the equivalent of $11.66 per hour when I was 18, so good for you!

That was back in 1990 though - **** I'm old!
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                That vast majority of universities in the US are funded by the government.
                My university is $16,973 per term. Thank goodness my father also insists on paying for it.
                Also making a bit over $15 at my co-op job.

Also, Congrats HC!

Comment

What university? You have co-ops too? Are they mandatory?

I'm getting $20/hour at my co-op at the federal reserve.

With my scholarships I spend ~$30k annually on tuition.

Comment

Wow. I graduated in 2008 and it was a little more than $8K/year at Temple University.

Scholarships and financial aid covered almost all of it except for my extra semester.

Damn. I see Temple is currently $13K/year. Wow. That's a hell of an increase in 4 years.

Still a lot cheaper than what you guys are paying. I guess if you have the money, mightaswell not go to a state school.

I was using the old Temple's tuition as my estimate of how many part-time weeks you have to work at minimum wage to pay for a semester of school and even that was impossible.

It's a shame. Fortunately, the government doles out money.
                    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; June 20, 2012, 19:06.
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• I should clarify: the $30k is actually tuition, room, and board.

Comment

• One has to remember that Norway is subsidized by Statoil
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                          Wow. I graduated in 2008 and it was a little more than $8K/year at Temple University.

Scholarships and financial aid covered almost all of it except for my extra semester.

Damn. I see Temple is currently $13K/year. Wow. That's a hell of an increase in 4 years.

Still a lot cheaper than what you guys are paying. I guess if you have the money, mightaswell not go to a state school.

I was using the old Temple's tuition as my estimate of how many part-time weeks you have to work at minimum wage to pay for a semester of school and even that was impossible.

It's a shame. Fortunately, the government doles out money.
                          Is a Temple degree any better now than four years ago? Why isn't there more outrage about this kind of thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang View Post
                            One has to remember that Norway is subsidized by Statoil
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                              Is a Temple degree any better now than four years ago? Why isn't there more outrage about this kind of thing?
                              I do remember petitions and protests when the tuition increases were being put into effect but there must have been more increases after that.
                              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• One standard trick when they raise tuition is to just charge the increase to the incoming freshmen class and leave it the same for all the current students. This keeps campus protests to a minimum.
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X