Finally got a job!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    You're also a lot further out of high school than I am. Right now TJ is the most impressive thing on my resume. Around here, it's even bigger than Carnegie Mellon. If you were a college student looking for work in Philly then you'd definitely put that down. At this point, though, I don't think it's gonna be doing much legwork for you.

I expect at some point (maybe in a few years) CMU will be bigger for me than TJ, and work experience bigger than both. For the moment, as an undergrad, it's a very helpful thing for me to brag about, however.
    Yeah. I had it on my resume when I was in school and it did get comments from hiring managers. But putting it on now at age 27 would look strange.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
      No.
      My experience has been that it is. It may be somewhat circumstantial. CMU certainly hasn't helped me pull any jobs yet though. I'll reserve final judgement until after I've graduated CMU.

EDIT: Also dad is of the opinion that it is a bigger deal than CMU, but I think dad just hates CMU for whatever reason. Maybe because it costs so much...
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Maybe because it costs so much...
        Your dad is paying for your college education?
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
          Pretty much both. Or is there some kind of undercurrent I'm missing where saying someone from TJ is a ****** specifically offensive for this specific individual?
          Because he's my brother.

EDIT: and his bragging about it early and often doesn't help.
          Kid's 19, cut him some slack.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            Your dad is paying for your college education?
            He insisted on it, as a matter of fact. Believes it's his responsibility. I figure, not worth arguing about.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

My experience has been that it is. It may be somewhat circumstantial. CMU certainly hasn't helped me pull any jobs yet though. I'll reserve final judgement until after I've graduated CMU.

EDIT: Also dad is of the opinion that it is a bigger deal than CMU, but I think dad just hates CMU for whatever reason. Maybe because it costs so much...
              Do you have any scholarships?

Comment

Because he's my brother.
                Everyone's is someones brother/son. I get that you're standing up for him, but come on.

Kid's 19, cut him some slack.
                That argument doesn't resonate too well with someone who enlisted in the military. Old enough to hold a rifle/vote old enough to take his lumps on the Internet if he acts silly.
                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                  Everyone's is someones brother/son. I get that you're standing up for him, but come on.
                  It was a dumb insult because it didn't even make sense. "Hurr hurr you're stupid!"

Comment

It was a dumb insult because it didn't even make sense. "Hurr hurr you're stupid!"
                    It was in the context of me mentioning that Post article about remedial maths and English at TJ, you Philistine.
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

And it still only makes sense if you assume that he's a high school sophomore and you don't actually read the article...

Comment

And it still only makes sense if you assume that he's a high school sophomore and you don't actually read the article...
                        It still makes sense after reading the article. What kind of "best of the best" school allows in underachievers?

(Yes, I know it was for Quota reasons)

Comment

The "remedial" math was only such compared to TJ's usual standards.

(This should not be taken as an excuse for the atrocity that was last year's admissions process.)

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                            What's youth unemployment like in yurp?

Those trip things may be related. I generall earned 8-10 an hour during summer jobs, 20 an hour for tutoring.
                            Found some stats from april: Total unemployment was 3.7%, while youth unemployment was 9.8%.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                              Interesting. Considering that tuition at even affordable state schools is 10x that and gasoline is 14x that... talk about wage inflation not catching up.

Assuming no taxes, it would have only took 156 hours of work to pay for a semester; with 20 hour work weeks, that's about 8 weeks of working.

A minimum wage earner today would need to work 666 hours to afford the typical $5K/semester college tuition. That's 33 20-hour work weeks!

Given that you need to work more than half the year to pay for a single semester, it's impossible to work part-time to pay for a college education today.
                              That's right, back in those days working your way through college was easy.
                              Did I mention that a brand new Mustang cost about $6000 back then?
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I remember when that new Mustang cost about 3 Grand. We needed gas wars to see 25 cents a gallon in college. MY freshman tuition at the University of Illinois in the Engineering College was all of 345 dollars for a semester.
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X