Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    I have never made that much.
    I've never earned that little, but Lori is right, it depends on living standards and such things.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Sheesh, my high school summer job was $3.60 / hour, but gasoline was $.25 / gallon and tuition was $560 / semester.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
        Sheesh, my high school summer job was $3.60 / hour, but gasoline was $.25 / gallon and tuition was $560 / semester.
        Interesting. Considering that tuition at even affordable state schools is 10x that and gasoline is 14x that... talk about wage inflation not catching up.

Assuming no taxes, it would have only took 156 hours of work to pay for a semester; with 20 hour work weeks, that's about 8 weeks of working.

A minimum wage earner today would need to work 666 hours to afford the typical $5K/semester college tuition. That's 33 20-hour work weeks!

Given that you need to work more than half the year to pay for a single semester, it's impossible to work part-time to pay for a college education today.
        Last edited by Al B. Sure!; June 19, 2012, 17:56.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

my first paycheck pumping gas was $4.25
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Thanks everyone!
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Congrats, HC! You'll find teaching to be fantastic experience. You'll learn a lot yourself, but not from the students. Those little ****s won't teach you anything.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Jesus christ. Just got a call from General Dynamics, they were about to give me a phone interview but I had to say I'd already accepted a position. Oh well. At least I feel popular now
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                  I've never earned that little, but Lori is right, it depends on living standards and such things.
                  What's youth unemployment like in yurp?

Those trip things may be related. I generall earned 8-10 an hour during summer jobs, 20 an hour for tutoring.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                    Jesus christ. Just got a call from General Dynamics, they were about to give me a phone interview but I had to say I'd already accepted a position. Oh well. At least I feel popular now
                    Don't forget that they have no loyalty to you.

At Sodexo, I trained my replacements and they were pretty much ready to go with me still having 2 weeks til leaving for OCS. I informed my boss (Director of Operations) that they were ready and she fired me on the spot. The assistant director told me to hang around and when our boss left, he told me to stay the rest of the day and he'd make sure I'd get paid without her knowing.

Guess what? Two days later, I get a call from them. My replacement was missing money and completely bungled his job and they fired him. They needed me back.

My ***** ass came back and worked until I left for OCS, training an internal.

But the lesson was seared in my mind. They have no loyalty.

My boss at Wells Fargo who fired me... she fired another teller recently who had cancer. The girl had to be hospitalized and was told by doctors not to work for 2 weeks. She showed up the next day to work but because she called out when she was hospitalized, she was reprimanded and fired after her shift. Her attempts to get unemployment were blocked.

I've dealt with employees with long-term medical issues and at Sodexo, if it was serious enough and would affect their ability to work or even come to work, we would layoff the employee (allowing him to collect unemployment and/or disability) but keep his position open for his return when his health improved. I saw this first hand with a number of employees.

Wells Fargo apparently doesn't give a **** if an employee gets cancer.

The corporate world is cold, uncaring, and there's no loyalty. They should never expect us to be any different to them.
                    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; June 19, 2012, 21:32.
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Albie, see your job thread for the most practical advice i've ever given you.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Congrats... they didn't discover your posts here during their due diligence, I guess.
                        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

he uses an assumed name here Sparky

congrats anyway, whoever you are
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I worked in a Bowling alley
                            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                              he uses an assumed name here Sparky
                              Yeh, its a character from The Catcher in the Rye, or something like that...

My 1st summer job was in summerstock theatre.
                              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
                                Yeh, its a character from The Catcher in the Rye, or something like that...

My 1st summer job was in summerstock theatre.
                                That's Holden Caulfield.

Comment

Working...
                                X