Falkland Islanders to hold referendum over sovereignty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
    Really? It doesn't surprise me (that an Irish guy would be a wanted terrorist, that he would flee to America, or he'd end up serving drinks and a crappy college age establishment) too much but I would think a wanted terrorist would be extradited to the UK.
    Except some judges and American politicians especially those reliant on Irish Catholic votes) had a tendency to view the I.R.A. as 'political' cases, thus making extradition somewhat more difficult. Of course all that's quite different now that more 'terrorists' are brown skinned and have suspiciously Arab sounding names....
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Deaths on 9/11 = 2,996

Deaths at Canary Wharf = 2

It's pretty obvious which group was primarily out to kill and which group was primarily out to make political statements.

Comment

• Well after that incredibly fair comparison, here's some more political statements, from just part of 1984 :

CAIN Web Service

02 January 1984 Robert Elliott (25) Protestant
        Status: Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR), Killed by: Irish Republican Army (IRA)
        Off duty. Shot outside his home, Lislaird Road, Castlederg, County Tyrone.

10 January 1984 William Fullerton (48) Protestant
        Status: Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC), Killed by: Irish Republican Army (IRA)
        Off duty. Shot by sniper while driving his car along Warrenpoint Road, Newry, County Down.

20 January 1984 Colin Houston (30) Protestant
        Status: Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR), Killed by: Irish National Liberation Army (INLA)
        Off duty. Shot at his home, Sunnymede Avenue, Dunmurry, near Belfast, County Antrim.

27 January 1984 Daniel McIntyre (28) Catholic
        Status: Civilian (Civ), Killed by: Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF)
        Shot from passing car while walking along Manor Drive, Lurgan, County Armagh.

30 January 1984 Mark Marron (23) Catholic
        Shot while travelling in stolen car, Springfield Road, Belfast.

31 January 1984 William Savage (27) Protestant
        Killed in land mine attack on Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) armoured patrol car, Drumintee Road, near Forkhill, County Armagh.

31 January 1984 Thomas Bingham (29) Protestant
        Killed in land mine attack on Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) armoured patrol car, Drumintee Road, near Forkhill, County Armagh

13 February 1984 James Young (41) Catholic
        Status: Irish Republican Army (IRA), Killed by: Irish Republican Army (IRA)
        Found shot, Blaney Road, near Crossmaglen, County Armagh. Alleged informer.

21 February 1984 Paul Oram (26) nfNI
        Status: British Army (BA), Killed by: Irish Republican Army (IRA)
        Killed in gun battle between undercover British Army (BA) members and Irish Republican Army (IRA) members, Dunloy, near Ballymoney, County Antrim.

21 February 1984 Declan Martin (18) Catholic
        Status: Irish Republican Army (IRA), Killed by: British Army (BA)
        Killed in gun battle between undercover British Army (BA) members and Irish Republican Army (IRA) members, Dunloy, near Ballymoney, County Antrim.

21 February 1984 Henry Hogan (21) Catholic
        Status: Irish Republican Army (IRA), Killed by: British Army (BA)

02 March 1984 Thomas Loughlin (40) Protestant
        Off duty. Killed by booby trap bomb, attached to his van, outside his home, Castlederg, County Tyrone.

03 March 1984 Herbert Burrows (37) Protestant
        Status: Civilian (Civ), Killed by: Irish Republican Army (IRA)
        Killed by booby trap bomb attached to garage door, at his workplace, Alexander Road, Armagh.

06 March 1984 William McConnell (35) Protestant
        Status: Prison Officer (PO), Killed by: Irish Republican Army (IRA)
        Off duty. Shot outside his home, Hawthornden Drive, Belmont, Belfast.

08 March 1984 David Montgomery (24) Protestant
        Off duty. Shot at his workplace, a petrol station, Airport Road, near Moira, County Down.

13 March 1984 Ronald Funston (28) Protestant
        Status: ex-Ulster Defence Regiment (xUDR), Killed by: Irish Republican Army (IRA)
        Shot at his farm, Lowery, near Pettigoe, County Fermanagh.

27 March 1984 David Ross (31) nfNI
        Status: British Army (BA), Killed by: Irish Republican Army (IRA)
        Killed by remote controlled bomb, hidden in parked van, detonated when British Army (BA) civilian-type mini bus passed, near Gransha Hospital, Clooney Road, Derry.

08 April 1984 Mary Travers (22) Catholic
        Status: Civilian (Civ), Killed by: Irish Republican Army (IRA)
        Shot during gun attack on her Resident Magistrate father, Thomas Travers, shortly after leaving St Brigid's Roman Catholic Church, while walking along Windsor Avenue, Malone, Belfast.

12 April 1984 Margaret Whyte (51) Catholic
        Status: Civilian (Civ), Killed by: non-specific Loyalist group (LOY)
        Killed by time bomb left on the windowsill of her home, University Street, Belfast.

The longer index is here: http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/sutton/chron/index.html

I prefer my politics limited to public debates or broadsheets, interviews and the like, but I can see how some might prefer this method:

Former members of the Provisional IRA have claimed that the soldier's body was disposed of at a local meat processing plant. It is believed the officer's remains were disposed of to hide the terrible injuries he suffered before he was killed.

I can see that method becoming quite popular in the U.S. .
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
          Deaths on 9/11 = 2,996

Deaths at Canary Wharf = 2

It's pretty obvious which group was primarily out to kill and which group was primarily out to make political statements.
          You should definitely go **** yourself. All those post 9/11 horror scenarios about how Al Queda might get smart and start bombing heartland America or attacking your government? That **** happened in Britain for decades. I grew up in a time when those murderous ****s were blowing up shopping centres and pubs in UK cities, and where there was a high chance that each days news report would include a shooting or bombing or kneecapping or kidnapping etc etc. Oh and then we got to hear about how the lovely Americans in Boston and elsewhere were helping fund it.

So seriously, go **** yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
            Oh and then we got to hear about how the lovely Americans in Boston and elsewhere were helping fund it.
            We even elected some of them to Congress

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• I thought the Troubles didn't actually have more than a few thousand casualties total? Considering it was a 30 year conflict that's pretty low intensity.
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                I thought the Troubles didn't actually have more than a few thousand casualties total? Considering it was a 30 year conflict that's pretty low intensity.
                Terrorist campaigns do not need to be back to back spectacular attacks, just the endless non-stop drip feed of death and horror and fear is enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  I thought the Troubles didn't actually have more than a few thousand casualties total? Considering it was a 30 year conflict that's pretty low intensity.
                  quick wiki search says IRA killed more (1,824) during the troubles than Israelis have died between 1987 and 2011 (1503)

low intensity
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
                    I prefer my politics limited to public debates or broadsheets, interviews and the like, but I can see how some might prefer this method:
                    Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. - Mao Zedong

Say what you will about Mao, but the man knew what he was talking about when it came to insurgency.

Comment

• Having a near infinite supply of gullible tools like yourself didn't hurt either. Nor did having a large cadre of enforcers to make sure the gullible tools actually went out and died "for the people."
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                        I grew up in a time when those murderous ****s were blowing up shopping centres and pubs in UK cities, and where there was a high chance that each days news report would include a shooting or bombing or kneecapping or kidnapping etc etc. Oh and then we got to hear about how the lovely Americans in Boston and elsewhere were helping fund it.

How many of those shootings, bombings, kneecappings, and kidnappings in "UK cities" were committed by the British Army and their Protestant thugs in Northern Ireland? The Provos were actually admirably restrained in their response to British provocations, as laid out in the link I provided.

Comment

• I was expecting the "could have made it stop by giving them their freedom" troll.
                          Last edited by regexcellent; March 21, 2013, 18:29. Reason: spelling

Comment

• They didn't even have to give them their freedom; the UK bought peace in the Good Friday Agreement for so much less. All the British really had to do was promise to stop being complete ******, which proved exceptionally difficult for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                              I was expecting the "could have mad it stop by giving them their freedom" troll.
                              you have much to learn, young one.
                              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                                How many of those shootings, bombings, kneecappings, and kidnappings in "UK cities" were committed by the British Army and their Protestant thugs in Northern Ireland? The Provos were actually admirably restrained in their response to British provocations, as laid out in the link I provided.
                                Admirably restrained when they bombed Manchester injuring 200 people? How about the 220 injuries and 29 deaths in Omagh which included a woman pregnant with twins, six children and six teenagers? Were those little kids admirably maimed and murdered you ****ing piece of ****? How about people like mother of 10 Jean McConville, who went to the aid of a wounded British soldier right outside her front door in Belfast and was kidnapped and murdered by the IRA, who then hid her body so her family couldn't even lay her to rest for the next 30 years?

Seriously, STFU. This is the equivalent of someone mocking America over 9/11. If it's a troll it's in ****ing disgusting taste.

Comment

Working...
                                X