X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hudson Hawk is an entertaining movie.
    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Yeah, I kind of liked Hudson Hawk also. It's easier when you watch it with no expectations since everyone said it sucked.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        An excellent mystery sci-fi.
        The mystery is how an actor as good as Charlize Theron could come across as so wooden and uninterested.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I can only assume that she doesn't bare her chest like she does in "Reindeer Games"
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

promethius is dope

Comment

Ratings wise, Prometheus beats Hudson Hawk and Deep Blue Sea pretty handily, however:

Hudson Hawk (22%):
              Thief extraordinaire Hudson Hawk (Bruce Willis) has just been released from prison and all he wants is a nice cappuccino. However, before he can savor his favorite beverage, the highly eccentric and wealthy Darwin Mayflower (Richard E. Grant) and his equally odd wife, Minerva (Sandra Bernhard), rope Hawk into an ambitious series of heists. Soon Hawk is stealing no less than major works by Leonardo Da Vinci, priceless pieces that the Mayflowers plan to use in an exceedingly nefarious way.

Deep Blue Sea (57%):
              On an island research facility, Dr. Susan McAlester (Saffron Burrows) is harvesting the brain tissue of DNA-altered sharks as a possible cure for Alzheimer's disease. When the facility's backers send an executive (Samuel L. Jackson) to investigate the experiments, a routine procedure goes awry and a shark starts attacking the researchers. Now, with sharks outnumbering their human captors, McAlester and her team must figure out a way to stop them from escaping to the ocean and breeding.

Prometheus (73%):
              The discovery of a clue to mankind's origins on Earth leads a team of explorers to the darkest parts of the universe. Two brilliant young scientists lead the expedition. Shaw (Noomi Rapace) hopes that they will meet a race of benevolent, godlike beings who will in some way verify her religious beliefs, while Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green) is out to debunk any spiritual notions. However, neither the scientists nor their shipmates are prepared for the unimaginable terrors that await them.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

dp
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I don't have hard data to back this up, but I've noticed that review aggregators seem to suffer from a kind of inflation near the time of a movie's release. They're either far too high or far too low. With time, the results seem to settle on the "true" value.

That said, who cares; it was a crap movie regardless of what the reviewers say.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                    I can only assume that she doesn't bare her chest like she does in "Reindeer Games"
                    No rah, but she did expose more than she did here in the Snow White/Huntsman movie
                    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                      I don't have hard data to back this up, but I've noticed that review aggregators seem to suffer from a kind of inflation near the time of a movie's release. They're either far too high or far too low. With time, the results seem to settle on the "true" value.

That said, who cares; it was a crap movie regardless of what the reviewers say.
                      What Lori said.
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

sounds like someone made ancient aliens into a movie

I'd rather see a movie taking us back in time to the first civilizations and show the aliens running the world

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          Technically so does the title "Alien"
                          Holy ****! Is that what that thing was? I thought it was someone's pitbull.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post
                            Oh, but they make that effort! Jesus H. Christ it's bad. As far as I can tell, the premise is that, 50 years before we fly to the stars to seek an alien race, somehow our collective unconscious is wiped clean of all memories of science fiction narratives. Among the many amazing things we then have to learn anew are (and I don't thing these are spoilers, per se):

1) Landing in one valley on a planet and not seeing anyone there does NOT mean the planet is uninhabited.
                            2) If you're stuck in an enormous structure for a while, and one part of it has a whole bunch of dead bodies piled up, that is NOT the one place you should decide to hunker down.
                            3) If you are a biologist and encounter an alien life form that you describe to your ship's crew as "four feet long, reptilial, with translucent skin," your first instinct should probably not be to try to play with it.
                            4) The creepy robot seems creepy for a reason.

That's just the idiocies. Don't even get me started on how bad the script is overall or how inane the whole premise is. Seriously, if you want to see "Prometheus" and your girlfriend wants to see "What to Expect When You're Expecting," just take her suggestion and use it as a bargaining chip for something new to do in bed after; you'll get better sex AND a better movie.
                            What part of Charlize Theron did you not understand?
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                              The new Ripley is pretty hot, too.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                                I understand every part of Charlize Theron, though no part as well as I would like. But if all I wanted was to ogle Charlize and didn't mind her being surrounded by a positively idiotic sci-fi flick, I'd stay home as rent Aeon Flux.

Also, Lori is wrong: Shaw bears about as much resemblance to Ripley as Ralph Maccio does to Chuck Norris.

There's a good film inside Prometeus, trying like an alien fetus to get out; that film develops David, McVickers, and even Shaw into deep, complex characters and pits them against each other in a psychologically-compelling narrative. That film also gets around to explaining why Weyland is Guy Pearce in old-guy make-up instead of just an actual old actor. That movie would be the brilliant love-child of Alien and Bladerunner; but this movie is the result of a shabby one-night-stand between Alien and a stoned sophomore Religious Studies major.
                                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                                X