On Recalls and Referendums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
    Yes, and it's called a court decision. They lost that one too.
    So something cannot be hugely unpopular but also legal? You're the one who want's to step away from simply the Wisconsin thing so try it, thing about the possibilities. What if a party gains power but then passes laws which 99% of the population hate? Should they have to wait 4 years to reverse those?

Comment

Yes. Period. The courts are a legitimate place to go if you think the executive is overstepping it's bounds. Other than that there are the periodic elections.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yes. Period. The courts are a legitimate place to go if you think the executive is overstepping it's bounds. Other than that there are the periodic elections.
        So if you elect a party who then pass legal but completely unpopular bills that are contrary to their campaign promises, people should have no recourse for potentially 4 years?

Comment

How many ways do you want me to say it?

Comment

I just wanted to make sure I was understanding you.

Comment

You have to remember, I'm a conservative who spent most his life in New Jersey. I'm used to it.

Comment

You might want to try that argument out on Mojo, see what happens.

Comment

Well, now that that's over, I really am interested in whether people think recalls and referendums are worth it.
                  Since when?
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

So if you elect a party who then pass legal but completely unpopular bills that are contrary to their campaign promises, people should have no recourse for potentially 4 years?
                    Yes! That's what elections are for.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

To be fair, aren't there state congressional offices to vote for? It's not like Walker was voted King.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Am I allowed to fence sit on this issue?
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Realistically, elected officials should be entitled to some time to do what they got to do. Democracy is a slow process and if we started expecting results after 6 months or a year in office and recalling officials as a result, we'd be in trouble. Likewise, officials changing their stances constantly because of temporary swings in public perception would only make ineffective government.

Our elected officials are already re-election-focused from day 1 of their terms, which comes with a lot of benefits to constituents but also negatives with regards to long-term politics. Common recalls would intensify that focus on the short-term vote-getting.
                          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I don't see anything inherently wrong with having gubernatorial elections every two years instead of every four years. Of course, there is the possibility that voters would get tired of having so many elections but if the requirements for holding a recall are strict enough that should protect against the possibility of constant elections that voters are sick of. If you are offended by the proposition that people in positions of power should have to keep the public satisfied throughout their term and not just once every four years, you hate democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                              Realistically, elected officials should be entitled to some time to do what they got to do. Democracy is a slow process and if we started expecting results after 6 months or a year in office and recalling officials as a result, we'd be in trouble. Likewise, officials changing their stances constantly because of temporary swings in public perception would only make ineffective government.

Our elected officials are already re-election-focused from day 1 of their terms, which comes with a lot of benefits to constituents but also negatives with regards to long-term politics. Common recalls would intensify that focus on the short-term vote-getting.
                              Virginia's solution to this problem is to forbid governors from seeking immediate re-election. I'm not sure if this is actually good or not. If I had to give an opinion, I think that we should probably go with 5 or 6 year governor terms and require a gap between seeking re-election.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

There's pros and cons. We want public officials to be held accountable and not just do whatever the hell they want once they get elected; facing re-election forces them to not reneg on campaign promises, etc. But this leads to a short-term focus, a lot of empty populism and pork, etc.

Actually, I think the cons ultimately are problems with a democratic system in general.
                                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                                X