Appeals Court Rules Against Federal Marriage Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appeals Court Rules Against Federal Marriage Act

A federal appeals court ruled unanimously Thursday that the Defense of Marriage Act, passed by Congress in 1996, discriminates against married same-sex couples by denying them the same federal benefits afforded to heterosexual couples. The decision will have no immediate effect because it anticipates an appeal to the United States Supreme Court.

In upholding an earlier decision by a lower court, Thursday’s ruling, by a three-judge panel of the First United States Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston, is the first time an appeals court has declared the federal law unconstitutional.

The ruling dealt narrowly with the question of federal benefits for same-sex couples, not with the legality of same-sex marriage itself.

“We think today is a great day and look forward to the next round,” Mary L. Bonauto, who argued the case for Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders, told reporters on a conference call.

Strategically, Ms. Bonauto said, the plaintiffs could not have asked for a better decision as they prepare to test their arguments in the Supreme Court. She called it “crisp, solid and well-reasoned,” adding that it was “rooted in the last 50 years of equal protection jurisprudence.”

Supporters of the law said they hoped the Supreme Court would reverse the appellate court’s decision.

“Society should protect and strengthen marriage, not undermine it,” said Dale Schowengerdt, counsel for the Alliance Defense Fund, a group of Christian lawyers.

“In allowing one state to hold the federal government, and potentially other states, hostage to redefine marriage, the First Circuit attempts a bridge too far,” he said. “Under this rationale, if just one state decided to accept polygamy, the federal government and perhaps other states would be forced to accept it, too.”

The Defense of Marriage Act, known as DOMA, defines marriage as being between a man and a woman. It was signed into law by President Bill Clinton.

“Today’s landmark ruling makes clear once again that DOMA is a discriminatory law for which there is no justification,” Martha Coakley, attorney general of Massachusetts, said in a statement. It was under Ms. Coakley’s direction that Massachusetts became the first state, in 2009, to complain formally that DOMA was unconstitutional.

A federal judge in Massachusetts found in 2010 that the law violated the equal protection clause of the constitution by denying benefits to one class of married couples — gay men and lesbians — but not to others.

The appeals court on Thursday agreed, saying the law interfered with the right of a state to define marriage. The benefits denied to same-sex couples range from the right to file joint tax returns, which can reduce a couple’s payments, to the ability to collect death benefits.

While both sides wait to see whether the Supreme Court takes the case — Ms. Bonauto said that every expert she had talked to predicted it would — the ruling will not be enforced, meaning that same-sex couples cannot begin to collect federal benefits.

The first circuit covers Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Puerto Rico.

Since DOMA was passed, eight states and the District of Columbia have approved same-sex marriage; the states are Connecticut, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont and Washington. Maryland and Washington's laws are not yet in effect.

President Obama campaigned against the law in 2008 and said in 2011 that his administration would not defend it. That has left the Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group, appointed by the Republican majority in the House, to defend the case. The group has said that Congress wanted to preserve DOMA because it provided a traditional and uniform definition of marriage, helping the federal government to distribute federal benefits.

Today is a sad day for bigots

won't somebody think of those poor bigots whose marriages are damaged by letting two men or two women get married.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

As the court itself said, SCOTUS will be the final arbiter.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I feel my marriage becoming less meaningful by the second.

26 years and counting.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

My evil plan to destroy the fabric of society is progressing along just fine.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Don't you all see?

It is WE who are the bigots, for we are bigoted against those fine, upstanding Christians who have devoted their life to the defense of morality and

I'm sorry, I just can't finish that sentence without laughing.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Yes, it's time for me to fess up. I'm a bigot for not tolerating bigotry.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                As the court itself said, SCOTUS will be the final arbiter.
                But its a narrow decision that the SCOTUS would likely feel comfortable with - federal benefits which attach to a state determination of marriage shouldn't be denied to some states' determination due to federalism concerns.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

But its a narrow decision that the SCOTUS would likely feel comfortable with - federal benefits which attach to a state determination of marriage shouldn't be denied to some states' determination due to federalism concerns.
                  Two edged sword. There are far more states that you'd be compelling to abide by a standard contrary to their wishes via federal taxation. Reynolds is pretty clear that you cannot have two marriage standards in the US. Having some states approving X and other states approving Y, is actually unconstitutional. The Feds have the power to set the marriage law in this example (as they did previously outlawing polygamy).
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

You are so full of crap. Different age limits to marry indicate that there are multiple marriage standards in the US. Also see certain states allowing 1st cousins to marry and other states banning the practice.

In addition, Reynolds v. United States applied to Mormons living in Utah TERRITORY, meaning they had no state government, but the United States was their "state government". Reynolds was decided in 1878, while Utah wasn't made a state until 1896.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You are so full of crap.
                      Not at all. Part of the constitutional powers of the federal government includes control over naturalization. That includes spousal immigration visas to the United States. Changing the definition of marriage changes the immigration visas. Essentially, you would end up with a conflict between states that would not recognize a marriage, to which someone had recieved a visa. And we all know how that would end up working out.

Different age limits to marry indicate that there are multiple marriage standards in the US. Also see certain states allowing 1st cousins to marry and other states banning the practice.
                      Reynolds discusses both of these, and argues that the tradition of the Common Law provides for variances along age and 1st cousins. It does not provide accommodation for polygamy and homosexuality, arguing that one man and one woman is a core part of marriage, whereas changes in the age limit is not.

Reynolds also argues that while the federal government has the responsibility to enforce the common law definition, they do not have the right to change the definition, any more than they could change habeaus corpus. Hence prohibiting changes to the Common Law definition.

In addition, Reynolds v. United States applied to Mormons living in Utah TERRITORY, meaning they had no state government, but the United States was their "state government". Reynolds was decided in 1878, while Utah wasn't made a state until 1896.
                      Reynolds goes on to say that admission as a state would require adherance to the English Common Law definition. If it were a state power, then Utah could have simply became a state and then passed laws permitting polygamy. Reynolds explains why that doesn't work, and why the definition has to be uniform across the United States, and goes on to finish with why that definition should permit only one man and one woman to marry.

So, in short - setting age limits and degrees of consanguinity, ok. Polygamy and homosexuality, not ok.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Reynolds v. United States, 98 U.S. (8 Otto.) 145 (1878), was a Supreme Court of the United States case that held that religious duty was not a suitable defense to a criminal indictment. George Reynolds was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), charged with bigamy under the Morrill Anti-Bigamy Act after marrying Amelia Jane Schofield while still married to Mary Ann Tuddenham in Utah Territory.

I don't know what Ben is talking about. No one is arguing that they have a religious duty to marry someone of the same sex.

Comment

I don't know what Ben is talking about. No one is arguing that they have a religious duty to marry someone of the same sex.
                          Read the whole decision. Reynolds clearly explains why it has to be one uniform definition across the United States.

Comment

Reynolds also states quite clearly, "And BTW, if two homos ever want to get married a century or so from now, then this decision about religious polygamy should be applied. Because that's obviously what I'm talking about. Also, remember to avoid eating pork and shellfish, even if we develop the technology to make it safe."
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I think looking at 19th century Supreme Court decisions to answer social questions is bold and daring.
                              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X