Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just another reason San Diego is better than Calgary.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just another reason San Diego is better than Calgary.

We have the best beaches in America. Take that, Asher.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Not with people like you on them.

Fact: San Diego isn't even on that list.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Coronado is San Diego. It's just a bedroom community on the other side of the bay.

Comment

This might make Asher a little more sympathetic. San Diego recently became the first city in America to name a street after Harvey Milk a civil rights leader for the gay community who was assassinated in 1978 because of his civil rights work. Harvey Milk was stationed in San Diego in 1954 as a Navy diving instructor.

Harvey Milk Street unveiled in San Diego

The nation’s first Harvey Milk Street was unveiled in Hillcrest Tuesday at 5 p.m. on what would have been the slain San Francisco supervisor’s 82nd brithday.
        The two-block road leading up to the San Diego LGBT Community Center in Hillcrest will be renamed from Blaine Avenue to Harvey Milk Street in honor of the first openly gay man to be elected to public office in California.
        Milk’s life was cut short at age 48 when he was assassinated in 1978 along with then-San Francisco Mayor George Moscone by Dan White, a former San Francisco supervisor who had resigned but wanted his job back.
        Milk was stationed in San Diego as a Navy diving instructor in 1954. Supporters of the name change, including Councilman Todd Gloria, who is openly gay and represents the neighborhood, said naming a street after Milk honors the late-supervisor’s contributions to the fight for equality.
        “Harvey Milk Street will long serve as a symbol of San Diego’s respect for all and our celebration of diversity,” he said in a statement.

Comment

Seriously, what the **** is with you and San Diego?

It's a pleasant enough place to visit, but its taxes are high, its cost of living high, and its people insufferable.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

California's median tax burden is with in two percentage points of Texas when all taxes are counted so it's a crock of **** to claim there is a huge difference between "high tax" California and "low tax" Texas. Further more you're one of the most arrogant people I've met online so you claiming other people are "insufferable" is a good laugh.

Just keeping it real and trying to tweak your nose a bit with a thread like this as I know it always gets to you. BTW median home prices between San Diego and Calgary are very close together; not that far apart at all so if it's high cost to live here (and other than housing everything is very cheap) then it's high cost there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
              Seriously, what the **** is with you and San Diego?

It's a pleasant enough place to visit, but its taxes are high, its cost of living high, and its people insufferable.
              And from what I've heard it's a very "fake" city. Nothing grown up naturally about it (bound to happen when you are a military town, I guess). For a city that tends to be all pro-organic, it is funny that nothing about the city is such.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Define "fake". I'm really curious what you mean by that. The people aren't fake nor as materialistic as other places (though like any big city you see all kinds) but, yes, most of it has been built since the 1950's so much of it is suburbia but that's true with most of America including Atlanta which seems to be an endless suburb when I visited there.

Comment

Coronado beach sucks ass, give me Mission or Pacific Beach any day.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I prefer those as they're better for people watching and attract a younger crowd so you're more likely to see young hotties in bikinis but Coronado does have the classic long and wide white sandy beaches. To bad the crowd is mostly older pensioners.

Comment

California's median tax burden is with in two percentage points of Texas when all taxes are counted so it's a crock of **** to claim there is a huge difference between "high tax" California and "low tax" Texas. Further more you're one of the most arrogant people I've met online so you claiming other people are "insufferable" is a good laugh.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                        Define "fake". I'm really curious what you mean by that. The people aren't fake nor as materialistic as other places (though like any big city you see all kinds) but, yes, most of it has been built since the 1950's so much of it is suburbia but that's true with most of America including Atlanta which seems to be an endless suburb when I visited there.
                        As in more of a "planned city" than grown organically. More like when the Navy came in, in force, the city was built for their specifications rather than neighborhoods and portions growing by themselves.

Atlanta has many suburbs, but the city itself and the so-called "intown suburbs" (ie, cities inside "the perimeter") have had a good deal of organic growth, and now, a lot of gentrification as people are moving back from the suburbs into the old neighborhoods. Of course it is no way like cities such as New York and Boston because it was burned down in 1864 and therefore to rebuild it there was some planned growth rather than just letting it grow in whichever way it wanted.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                          It's true. As long as you don't make over a certain amount you don't pay much in income taxes, property taxes are actually lower in California, and both states have sales taxes. I remember a thread from a few years ago over at city-data forum where the difference in total taxes in each state was just two percentage points of of gross income plus you actually get much better services in California compared to Texas. Heck, there are even fewer government workers per 100,000 population in California compared to Texas so the reality is very different from the propaganda you've been fed by Faux Noise and other such right wing groups. They're trying to make a big deal about a very small difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            As in more of a "planned city" than grown organically. More like when the Navy came in, in force, the city was built for their specifications rather than neighborhoods and portions growing by themselves.

Atlanta has many suburbs, but the city itself and the so-called "intown suburbs" (ie, cities inside "the perimeter") have had a good deal of organic growth, and now, a lot of gentrification as people are moving back from the suburbs into the old neighborhoods. Of course it is no way like cities such as New York and Boston because it was burned down in 1864 and therefore to rebuild it there was some planned growth rather than just letting it grow in whichever way it wanted.
                            Well, that's true. The parts built prior to WW2 were more or less organic growth while post WW2 it has been almost entirely planned communities designed to be suburbs. Some of the older suburbs have had planned redevelopment but most of it is still original planned communities.

Comment

Torrey Pines is far superior to Coronado. From Oceanside Pier down to Carlsbad is pretty nice too. Great sand and water in both locations. The closer you get to San Diego (or the other direction to LA) the worse the sand, water quality, and tourists get.

Comment

Working...
                              X