No announcement yet.

Move over NASA II -- US private commercial spaceflight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...which has nothing to do with this rocket.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Except, as I said earlier, the Dragon capsule is intended for human spaceflight. It's not there yet, but that's part of its purpose. SpaceX expects to be sending astronauts into orbit by 2015, but who knows when/if that will actually be achieved.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

This is just a BDR with an improved guidance package on the payload. None of it represents a leap in understanding beyond what was already known with the V2s.

Comment

In terms of human spaceflight -- which, after all, is just allowing humans to live in an unpressured environment -- the first steps were taken by the likes of Auguste Piccard and Russell Colley. Again, later improvements were just that. Nothing really mind-blowing in and of themselves.

Comment

Obviously, the person who invented the first tool is the true pioneer of human spaceflight.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
              In terms of human spaceflight -- which, after all, is just allowing humans to live in an unpressured environment -- the first steps were taken by the likes of Auguste Piccard and Russell Colley. Again, later improvements were just that. Nothing really mind-blowing in and of themselves.
              ...and Colley worked for NASA.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

He worked for Wiley Post first. He refined his designs as he went on, and was picked up by NASA because of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                  I woke up at 3:15 this morning (and went back to sleep at 4:15) to watch the launch. It was pretty rad. That said, this isn't a situation of private companies stepping in because the US is broke. NASA has invested a good deal in SpaceX.
                  Well, the government is hardly broke if it is paying for this. But this is a much more cost effective method of space travel. Despite the inane argument about pioneering, this is an excellent example of where government can help create a market that could never be formed by private industry alone.

As far as Planetary Resources is concerned, it's a really great idea if done carefully and gradually. They won't be turning a profit any time soon, however.
                  Exactly why it would have to be government supported to start. Currently, no government is in a position to do this, but I can definitely see the Chinese mining asteroids this century. Too bad the rest of you won't.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

This is just a BDR with an improved guidance package on the payload. None of it represents a leap in understanding beyond what was already known with the V2s.

I, personally, am enjoying the thrust of your argument.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Currently, no government is in a position to do this, but I can definitely see the Chinese mining asteroids this century. Too bad the rest of you won't.
                      SpaceX might not have caught up with the big players but they've already surpassed China. In another year, they'll be ahead of everyone.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

China has already sent armed men into space. They are way more prepared for what's out there than us.
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                          Not quite true. The rocket itself is a refinement (although a pretty big one). The Dragon spacecraft is new.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Its operation looks very familiar. :\

Comment

No. V-2s didn't have stage separations. Stage separation is one of the most complex aspects of a rocket capable of spaceflight.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

You're right, I don't know how I forgot that.

Comment

Working...
                                X