Canada-Europe free trade agreement could be final in 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
    How much of Quebec's effected industry is agri-business and how much small farmers?

The impression I get is that we are taxing ourselves to make business easier and more profitable mostly for a few corporations. I'd like to know if I have this wrong.

I think the difference between price at the farm and retail price is much smaller.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Goddamn, I should be smuggling Cheese.

Amazing. Who would have thought this possible? A reunion of the Anglosphere. Now all we need to do is rope in the Kiwis and the folks from Oz.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
        I think the difference between price at the farm and retail price is much smaller.

I've read that retail milk is closer, but we pay through the nose for milk used by processors. People don't see how much the system is costing us as consumers.

A price from the farm that is double what it should be is going to be paid by someone along the way. Do you think food processors are eating it?
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Exact comparisons are not easy, but...

1 lb butter in 2012.
          US average $3.35
          Can average $4.37

(\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

If 30% is the price to protect rural areas, then so be it.

Comment

Protect rural areas from what?
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Depopulation and precarity.

I believe in the virtues of free trade between countries of similar development levels. Certain things should be excluded for the greater good: agriculture, culture, education, and valuable natural resources.

Comment

My impression is that we are protecting the shareholders and owners of large agri-business.

It may have started out as helping small family farms, however the cost of entry is huge due to the quota system so slowly over time the quota ends up concentrated in the hands of what would be termed big business.

Who pays the largest share of income for food? The poor? You want to tax the poor to prop up big business?
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

Depopulation and precarity.

I believe in the virtues of free trade between countries of similar development levels. Certain things should be excluded for the greater good: agriculture, culture, education, and valuable natural resources.

This issue is about free trade even within our own country.

Even if an average Joe wanted to become a dairy farmer, his cost of entry is doubled by the need to buy quota before he can sell a drop.

The establishment of quotas is equivalent to issuing rights to sell a certain quantity at administratively set prices. Milk quotas were initially distributed free of charge but later changed hands on centralized exchanges, becoming increasingly expensive. An average of more than $22,000 was required to make use of a cow and sell its milk in Canada in 2002. In 2003, according to Statistics Canada, quotas amounted to an average of nearly $1.1-million per dairy farm and a total of almost $17.6-billion for all dairy farming operations in Canada. This represents close to half the entire permanent long-term asset base of milk producers. To set up a dairy farm, almost as much would have to be spent on quotas as on the assets truly required for milk production, such as animals, land, buildings, farm machinery and equipment.

and then the system is not flexible for inter-provincial trade.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Why do you want to protect rural areas? What makes them so special? I don't understand why you would want a select few benefiting from favoritism from the government.
                      Last edited by giblets; April 25, 2012, 14:35.

Comment

Stability is important in food supply, I believe.

Comment

How do $20,000 cows provide that stability? Just try gaining access to that market.

Marketing boards hurt farmers and consumers.

Production is controlled by a quota system. Any farmer who wants to produce milk must have a quota. They were free in the early days of supply management but not any more. The price for one quota, essentially one dairy cow, has jumped from an average of $16,000 in the 1990s to more than $20,000 today. In some provinces a quota can cost more than $30,000. Considering that a typical dairy farmer has about 70 cows, that’s roughly $2-million worth of quotas. Critics say high quota prices make it impossible for new farmers to enter the business.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I understand.

The thing is that farming is highly volatile; you're better off with stable prices, even if they average higher. You know that despite these quotas, most dairy farmers are struggling?

Look at what happens to developing countries when the price of corn rises.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                              $1.1-million per dairy farm and a total of almost $17.6-billion for all dairy farming operations in Canada.
                              What this suggests is that quotas have protected family farms... that would be an average of 60 cows per farm.

Comment

I think Fake Boris may be a bigger ****** than Oerdin.

Comment

Working...
                                X