Russian Anti-Terror troops deployed to Syria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Anti-Terror troops deployed to Syria

So much for no international intervention.

A Russian military unit has arrived in Syria, according to Russian news reports, a development that a United Nations Security Council source told ABC News was "a bomb" certain to have serious repercussions.

Russia, one of President Bashar al-Assad's strongest allies despite international condemnation of the government's violent crackdown on the country's uprising, has repeatedly blocked the United Nations Security Council's attempts to halt the violence, accusing the U.S. and its allies of trying to start another war.

Now the Russian Black Sea fleet's Iman tanker has arrived in the Syrian port of Tartus on the Mediterranean Sea with an anti-terror squad from the Russian Marines aboard according to the Interfax news agency. The Assad government has insisted it is fighting a terrorist insurgency. The Russian news reports did not elaborate on the Russian troops' mission in Syria or if they are expected to leave the port.

The presence of Russian troops in Syria could be a "pretty obvious" show of support to the regime, according to Russian security expert Mark Galeotti.

"No one thinks of the Russians as anything but Assad's last friends," said Galeotti, professor of global affairs at New York University.

The Iman replaced another Russian ship "which had been sent to Syria for demonstrating (sic) the Russian presence in the turbulent region and possible evacuation of Russian citizens," the Black Sea Fleet told Interfax.

RIA Novosti, a news outlet with strong ties to the Kremlin, trumpeted the news in a banner headline that appeared only on its Arabic language website. The Russian embassy to the U.S. and to the U.N. had no comment, saying they have "no particular information on" the arrival of a Russian anti-terrorism squad to Syria.

Moscow has long enjoyed a cozy relationship with the Assad regime, to which it sells billions of dollars of weapons. In return Russia has maintained a Navy base at Tartus, which gives it access to the Mediterranean.

Last week Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Russia had no plans to send troops to Syria.

"As for the question whether I consider it necessary to confront the United States in Syria and ensure our military presence there… in order to take part in military actions -- no. I believe this would be against Russia's national interests," Lavrov told lawmakers, according to RIA Novosti.

Russia's Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov denied reports that Russian special forces were operating inside Syria. He did say, however, that there are Russian military and technical advisors in the country.

U.S. State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said the U.S. government had not heard of the reports of Russian troops in Syria and declined to comment.
    A Russian military unit has arrived in Syria, according to Russian news reports, a development that a UN Security Council source told ABC News was "a bomb" certain to have serious repercussions.

Mad Monk saw it first here!
    Last edited by PLATO; March 19, 2012, 21:24. Reason: Nod to The Mad Monk
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Amazing that while the rest of the world (including the Arab world) condemns the atrocities of Assad's government, Russia supports them.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Yeah, the Arab League even sent the guy responsible for the Darfur Genocide in Sudan to mediate.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        Amazing that while the rest of the world (including the Arab world) condemns the atrocities of Assad's government, Russia supports them.
        Good.

Maybe we can be seen as the good guys for once and people can direct their ire somewhere else.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Not even a nod? That's dirty pool.

edit: Thank you.
          Last edited by The Mad Monk; March 20, 2012, 10:54.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
            Fixed.
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Yeah. Amazing. So out of character.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The radicalization of Russia would be bothersome if it weren't for the fact that they are a declining power that is weaker by the year.

Cue Serb
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

At least they're protesting the alleged election.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

you see this hair? he ****ed it up
                    he said he was the best at perm
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Russia seems to be all about eliteist capitalism these days. Sending in troops to protect their billion dollar arms deals seems almost par for the course for them these days.

Putin: Rebuilding The Evil Empire one Proxy at a time.

Comment

The radicalization of Russia would be bothersome if it weren't for the fact that they are a declining power that is weaker by the year.

Cue Serb
                        Considering the problem a ragtag bunch of guys living in caves can cause us, despite Russia no longer being a super power they are way more enemy then we want.
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Having elite Russian forces on the ground there complicates matters. They don't even have to do anything to make direct intervention difficult, their mere presence serves as a tripwire.

Comment

Perhaps they are there to protect the Russian base.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Perhaps, but I see a parallel with the American presence in South Korea.

Comment

Working...
                              X