No announcement yet.

Why isn't this murder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing is stopping you from polite, reasonable discourse. If you claim it's because I don't offer it to you, it's only fair that I can claim the same.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• And I'm going to state this for everyone. I am not responsible for your behavior!
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
        Relatively, no.
        Maybe compared to the general population but among people I've talked to on facebook (friends and friends of friends), it's quite common. A lot of people are appalled he was even granted bail. A lot of them (though not all) also thought murder two was too lenient.

Remember the poll showing racial disparities in attitudes towards the case? The poll is old now but 51% of Black respondents thought Zimmerman was 'definitely guilty' of a (non-specified) crime. Definitely is the key word for me there.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Maybe you need different facebook friends.
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• TMM, the topic is still open if you want to discuss it civilly.
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Maybe you need different facebook friends.
              That doesn't mean that my perception of what the majority of Blacks think in this case is wrong.

To make it worse, their socio-economic tier is a bit higher. The people I argued with were all college grads and students. The image I posted, though, was from a friend who doesn't have that background, however, and it was her friends saying such violent things about Zimmerman. The attitudes are nearly as strong among college-educated Blacks I know, though.

The direction of my arguments went to absurd places about general oppression and brought out all the light-skinned Afrocentric ideologues who always try to prove their Blackness by railing against some all-encompassing oppression... but the Zimmerman case is consistently viewed as a race crime among the majority of Blacks.
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• But it doesn't mean that your perception is right either. You're facebook friends are not a representative sample.

I'll agree that some people are getting far too worked up about this. But I don't believe those people, on either side, are the majority.
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• The only Black guy I saw defend Zimmerman was a Marine captain from Florida. He's a friend of a college friend and not my personal friend. I thought our mutual friend (also Black) was the most fair and balanced on this issue. The majority of Blacks, though, are a different story.

I think white conservatives also defend Zimmerman as a bloc, too. Some of the discussions turned into guns rights debates and they view this case as dangerous to the preservation of the Second Amendment. There are also anti-Sharpton and racial components to my perception of white conservatives defending Zimmerman.

Comment

But it doesn't mean that your perception is right either. You're facebook friends are not a representative sample.

I'll agree that some people are getting far too worked up about this. But I don't believe those people, on either side, are the majority.
                    By majority, I mean the majority who have an interest in this case, to be clear.

While it's possible that my Black friends are not representative, I don't think that's likely, except for their higher average educational attainment.

Comment

• Again, I disagree that it is the majority of Blacks.

Why are you adding qualifiers to the white conservative side of the argument? Don't you think that those angry black people have their reasons as well?
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Again, I disagree that it is the majority of Blacks.

Why are you adding qualifiers to the white conservative side of the argument? Don't you think that those angry black people have their reasons as well?
                        Of course and those reasons are obvious so I didn't feel the need to clarify. There is anger about the racial profiling, anger about the police response, anger from the perception that Zimmerman is an evil racist, anger from the perception (proved wrong by the Daniel Adkins case) that had the roles been reversed, Zimmerman would have been arrested immediately, and a general belief among the afrocentric minority that institutional racism is rampant in Amerikkka.

Comment

• Could you show me some posts that spell it "Amerikkka"?

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                            Could you show me some posts that spell it "Amerikkka"?
                            Not from them, no, but it's the nomenclature that afrocentrics have a tendency to use.

When I noted the very real basis for the racial profiling (high crime rate among Black males), I got responses that white Americans are the real criminals because of the history of oppression and rape; crimes perpetrated by white America against Blacks.

Comment

• I thought Dashi was a troll. I guess not though, since not many people see him as one.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• It's easier to attack the poster than the post.
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X