Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 2012 Off Topic Celebrity Dead Pool

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DaShi
    replied
    I would support a committee ruling in this instance.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wezil
    replied
    Shall we strike a committee to examine the issue?

    Does Ozzy need to provide an alibi for June 4th?

    Just what are you asking for here?


    edit - btw, Ozzy doesn't have a backup list (he joined late)

    Leave a comment:


  • DaShi
    replied
    Originally posted by Wezil View Post
    I'll put this down as a secondary concern.
    This is not a secondary concern. I'm quite serious. To bend the rules like this would remove legitimacy and fairness from the game. Otherwise, why bother having such rules at all?

    Leave a comment:


  • Wezil
    replied
    Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
    Eh, I think it is fine to pick a terrorist, it is only a game after all.
    It is just a game but we do keep score for a reason.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wezil
    replied
    Ray Bradbury was 91 and a choice of three teams -

    Robert Plomp (14) = (171 - 14) + (100 - 91) = 166 points
    MRT144 (16) = 164 points
    SlowwHand (18) = 162 points

    Little

    Leave a comment:


  • Wezil
    replied
    Abu Yahya al-Libi was 49 (reported age) and 20th member of Charon's Canoe.

    = (171 - 20) + (100 - 49) + 20 (Unnatural Causes Award)
    = 222 points for OzzyKP

    Leave a comment:


  • Wezil
    replied
    Originally posted by DaShi View Post
    Again, I contest it. Anyone murdered when we don't know who the murderer is should not be valid, because it may be in violation of rule 21a. Since we can't prove it either way, I suggest allowing one of Ozzy's back up to enter his main list as a replacement.
    I'll put this down as a secondary concern.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wezil
    replied
    Originally posted by ColdWizard View Post
    I'd support not allowing terrorists for future picks. Too much uncertainty in the confirmations = too much pain in the ass for the person running the pool.
    This is the main concern. I don't want to award points only to find out years later that the guy is still alive.

    Leave a comment:


  • DaShi
    replied
    Originally posted by Wezil View Post
    We still have this to deal with:

    Reports of death

    It was reported by Pakistani sources on December 11, 2009 that Abu Yahya al-Libi was killed in a U.S Drone strike in Pakistan; however, later reports identified the man killed as Saleh al-Somali.[23]

    On June 5, 2012, U.S. officials confirmed that Libi was among 15 militants killed when a US drone fired four missiles at a militant compound in Mir Ali, North Waziristan.[24] Additionally, The White House later confirmed it.[25]

    A senior Pakistan Taliban later told The Daily Telegraph that Libi was not caught in the attack. The commander stated “the vehicle belonged to al-Libi but at the time he wasn’t in the vehicle."[11][12] However, this claim was contradicted by another senior Pakistan Taliban commander who told Reuters Libi was in fact killed.[13]


    I'm inclined to award the points but I'm also leaning toward making wanted terrorists ineligible picks in the future.

    Thoughts?
    Again, I contest it. Anyone murdered when we don't know who the murderer is should not be valid, because it may be in violation of rule 21a. Since we can't prove it either way, I suggest allowing one of Ozzy's back up to enter his main list as a replacement.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dinner
    replied
    Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
    It looks like that girl will never get her chance to **** Ray Bradbury.

    Leave a comment:


  • ColdWizard
    replied
    I'd support not allowing terrorists for future picks. Too much uncertainty in the confirmations = too much pain in the ass for the person running the pool.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guynemer
    replied
    Eh, I think it is fine to pick a terrorist, it is only a game after all.

    Leave a comment:


  • Uncle Sparky
    replied
    Terrorists and/or freedom fighters and/or Chinese dissidents and/or heads of states we don't currently like and/or Dick Cheney...
    A person that might be defined as "Terrorist" in December may be the head of state before the end of the next year and vice versa...
    And when did the spelling of vis versa change?

    Leave a comment:


  • Hauldren Collider
    replied
    Terrorists should be eligible, but perhaps a point penalty if their death is questionable?

    Leave a comment:


  • Wezil
    replied
    We still have this to deal with:

    Reports of death

    It was reported by Pakistani sources on December 11, 2009 that Abu Yahya al-Libi was killed in a U.S Drone strike in Pakistan; however, later reports identified the man killed as Saleh al-Somali.[23]

    On June 5, 2012, U.S. officials confirmed that Libi was among 15 militants killed when a US drone fired four missiles at a militant compound in Mir Ali, North Waziristan.[24] Additionally, The White House later confirmed it.[25]

    A senior Pakistan Taliban later told The Daily Telegraph that Libi was not caught in the attack. The commander stated “the vehicle belonged to al-Libi but at the time he wasn’t in the vehicle."[11][12] However, this claim was contradicted by another senior Pakistan Taliban commander who told Reuters Libi was in fact killed.[13]


    I'm inclined to award the points but I'm also leaning toward making wanted terrorists ineligible picks in the future.

    Thoughts?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X