Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How famous are Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi in the USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS View Post
    Courtney Love is more famous in the US, although I know who Messi and Ronaldo are.
    Back in the early 90's Courtney Love hit the sweet spot being the perfect combo of hot, slutty, and being dumber than a rock. Now she's still doing the dumb whore on drugs thing but at her age that's just pathetic.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by a.kitman View Post
      why do you care barnabas?
      I wanted to see to which extenct soccer/football is not popular in the USA. From the results I guess there is almost no coverage of Spanish, Italian, English leagues if you buy a regular American newspaper (not that there is anythig wrong about it, just a different culture)
      I need a foot massage

Comment

Areas with large immigrant communities (especially from Latin America or Europe) do get coverage in the local newspaper but even the local TV news in those areas won't cover it. Even in those areas the coverage is limited to the biggest games.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I remember them from the 2006 WC.
          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
            I wanted to see to which extenct soccer/football is not popular in the USA. From the results I guess there is almost no coverage of Spanish, Italian, English leagues if you buy a regular American newspaper (not that there is anythig wrong about it, just a different culture)
            In a paper? No. Not unless it's something big.

ESPN does cover soccer a bit, though. They have a highlight segment on SportsCenter with the best plays of the week and there's always a few soccer ones.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

When I was younger Ronaldo was pretty well known amongst my friends. It was the Brazilian one though...

Comment

That Steve guy Heraclitus likes once said, it is true, the rest of the world prefers broccoli, referring to the popularity of Soccer/football around the world.

edit:

That guy also said soccer is popular because white people can be as successful as blacks in that sport, so Euros like it, and because it is cheap (you only need a ball) so third worlders like it.
                Last edited by Barnabas; November 16, 2011, 18:10.
                I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post

And I haven't heard of those people either, Alby.
                  Surely you know Larry Fitz and AP from the IHOP and Verizon commercials!

"I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                    Courtney Love is more famous in the US, although I know who Messi and Ronaldo are.
                    QFT

Ronaldo and other Brazilian soccer players of his era are better known than most in the US because of their victory in the 1994 World Cup.

Comment

That Steve guy Heraclitus likes once said, it is true, the rest of the world prefers broccoli, referring to the popularity of Soccer/football around the world.

edit:

That guy also said soccer is popular because white people can be as successful as whites in that sport, so Euros like it, and because it is cheap (you only need a ball) so third worlders like it.
                      Racist as ****. Why can't white people be good at any other sport?

Comment

No, it will not be in a regular American newspaper. If somebody clinches the Premier League, they might have a short note, for instance. Spanish and Italian would not warrant any notice, except perhaps if there is a huge match-fixing scandal.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                          Racist as ****. Why can't white people be good at any other sport?
                          I made a mistake, I wanted to write whites can be as successful as blacks. He tried to imply that it not such a demanding sport if whites can compete with blacks.
                          I need a foot massage

Comment

I made a mistake, I wanted to write whites can be as successful as blacks. He tried to imply that it not such a demanding sport if whites can compete with blacks.
                            It's not you. It's on that Steve Sailor guy. Racist as ****.

Comment

you can read all of it here

Whites on the other hand, tend to have more endurance than West Africans. The American urge to fix soccer’s rules to make it more exciting is a compulsion, in effect, to make soccer a better game for blacks. White American sports administrators have so succeeded in making basketball and football more electrifying spectator sports than soccer that they’ve largely succeeded in pushing whites out of the NBA and NFL.

So, FIFA could change the rules to make the game more appealing to American spectators, which would benefit black athletes. But it doesn’t want to. It thinks soccer is fine the way it is, as a white-dominated sport.

The rest of the world seems to agree.
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

There is so much wrong and reprehensible about that quote, it's hard to begin. "a compulsion to make soccer a better game for Blacks"? What the ****? It's like he thinks there's a 'white American sports administer' conspiracy to rid sports of white people. And what the **** is he talking about? They are plenty of white players in the NFL and NBA. The NBA, in fact, is becoming quite Europeanized over the past few years.

Take the wide receiver position in football, a position predicated on speed. Who is the league's leading WR so far this season?

This guy:

And all 5'9" and 185lbs of his meager white frame.

Racist Heraclitus ****.

Comment

Working...
                                X