Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How famous are Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi in the USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't that basically a Christian?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
      "My feeling as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded only by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was his fight against the Jewish poison. Today, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed his blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice."

Adolf Hitler. Munich 12th April 1922.
      I guess you didn't know that he told people what they wanted to hear.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• I guess you don't know that it's not safe to assume someone is certainly an agnostic or atheist if they keep invoking God and religion.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• It's safe, considering his actions.

Comment

• Right... because religious people are never sinful.

Comment

• People who ACTUALLY fear God are more righteous. Some people just like to be called christian because the're politicians or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                Obviously he was a Christian.
                Not to those Christians who like to claim him as some kind of supreme example of how bad atheists are supposed to be. They usually forget to demonstrate just how lack of a belief in the traditional Judaeo-Christian deity (or any other) was supposed to be responsible for Dachau, Belsen, Operation Barbarossa, et cetera.

They gloss over things like the Vatican's concordat with Hitler, the members of the Catholic German hierarchy who enthusiastically supported the Nazis (along with those Lutherans and Calvinists who also did so) and the existence of a state church in Nazi Germany. They neglect to mention the Christian faith of people like Goebbels.

Hitler had a fairly ordinary Roman Catholic upbringing, and Stalin trained as an Orthodox priest. Believers in Christianity never seem to assert that these formative experiences may have been responsible for Auschwitz and Oradour sur Glane, Soviet anti-semitism or the show trials and purges after Lenin's death, or the massacre at Katyn.
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                  One could only hope that everyone would see that someone like Hitler could only be an atheist, not even agnostic.
                  Yes, because only atheists could conceive of exterminating people based on their suppose racial inferiority or religion.

Like in the atheist mediaeval period, when the atheist Crusaders killed Jews and Muslims. Or in the Iberian peninsula during the Reconquista and after, when those suspected of not being properly Christian were burnt alive or forced into exile.

Or in France's Wars of Religion when Roman Catholics gleefully massacred Calvinist Huguenots and the Pope celebrated the event with a 'Te Deum' and a special medal.

Or in South Africa where the Dutch Reformed Church used the Bible to justify apartheid.

In reality Christian anti-semitism is rooted in the New Testament- where the Jews are supposed to say:

Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.
                  Matthew, 27:25

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

It's safe, considering his actions.
                    Sure thing. No Christian ever killed anybody, certainly not other Christians.

Are you frequently mistaken for a rock or a piece of particularly dense wood, say, lignum vitae ?

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
                      Not to those Christians who like to claim him as some kind of supreme example of how bad atheists are supposed to be. They usually forget to demonstrate just how lack of a belief in the traditional Judaeo-Christian deity (or any other) was supposed to be responsible for Dachau, Belsen, Operation Barbarossa, et cetera.

They gloss over things like the Vatican's concordat with Hitler, the members of the Catholic German hierarchy who enthusiastically supported the Nazis (along with those Lutherans and Calvinists who also did so) and the existence of a state church in Nazi Germany. They neglect to mention the Christian faith of people like Goebbels.

Hitler had a fairly ordinary Roman Catholic upbringing, and Stalin trained as an Orthodox priest. Believers in Christianity never seem to assert that these formative experiences may have been responsible for Auschwitz and Oradour sur Glane, Soviet anti-semitism or the show trials and purges after Lenin's death, or the massacre at Katyn.
                      They were psychopaths you idiot. Their upbringing doesnt mean anything.

Comment

• I don't know if Hitler was a Christian or not, but he definitely wasn't a Scotsman.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
                          Matthew, 27:25
                          Jesus's blood is such a good thing that we aim to ingest it once a week. At minimum.

EDIT: Yes, I'm sure that said verse has been used to justify antisemitism many a time. However, given the extensive way Christ's sacrifice is associated with the Passover lamb in both the NT and church tradition, saying His blood is a bad thing is...highly questionable.

SECOND EDIT: OSB's note on this verse contains an unsourced quote from St. John Chrysostom that even though they "acted with such madness, so far from confirming a sentence on them or their children, Christ instead received those who repented and counted them worthy of good things beyond number." Then again, Chrysostom was a notorious Jew-lover.
                          Last edited by Elok; November 25, 2011, 11:26.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Messi will now represent EA Sports' FIFA:

A multi-year agreement has been reached between EA Sports and FC Barcelona/Argentina superstar Lionel Messi to represent the FIFA division for the company. Beginning with FIFA Street in March, on which he is featured as the cover athlete, Messi will be heavily utilized in all facets of marketing for the FIFA products.
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

They were psychopaths you idiot. Their upbringing doesnt mean anything.
                              I'm astonished. Not only are you now a Christian, you are also a medically qualified psychiatrist !

Or are you using 'psychopath' in its loose sense of 'Anyone I think is horrible and would like to think is an atheist' ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                                Jesus's blood is such a good thing that we aim to ingest it once a week. At minimum.
                                Yes, I'm familiar with the dafter notions of transsubstantiation. And its implications for Roman Catholic/Protestant relations.

However, the verse is meant to state that the Jews, not the Romans, were responsible for the death of Jesus. Which is just plain unhistorical, given the method of death and who tried him.

It just happens that the Jewish Revolt had made the Jews extremely unpopular across a wide swathe of the Roman Empire, and so of course some Christians needed to point out that although the faiths were, err, blood relatives, they weren't like those nasty Jews, and of course the nice Romans couldn't have put a prophet or rabbi like Jesus to death without some Hebraic trickery or incitement involved.

Comment

Working...
                                X