Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
    Did I say I was the one judging God?

When did I say that? You said Loin was being dishonest when he said "they were only making fun of his baldness." I said that on the contrary, Loin was giving a very fair reading of the text; I don't believe that the text provides good support for an argument that they were doing anything but insulting him for being bald. I don't believe that one should oppose God and/or a prophet thereof, but the passage doesn't indicate they were opposing him as a prophet. It's possible the kids in question didn't know he was a prophet at all. I imagine that, had they known he was a genuine prophet with the power to call down the wrath of God in ursine form, they would have been a bit more respectful.

I posted in Loin's defense largely because he was on your ignore list, concerning only the narrow distinction I just elaborated on above. It's only fair, I think, to defend a true statement, regardless of who makes it.
    The Bible teaches us how to live, but we have to make the right assumptions when reading it. If you assume that they didn't know he was a prophet then you miss out on the lesson. That isn't God's intentions. So that's why I say the correct interpretation teaches the right thing.

But anyway, that's fine. The thing with loinburger and I was just getting old.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
      The Bible teaches us how to live, but we have to make the right assumptions when reading it. If you assume that they didn't know he was a prophet then you miss out on the lesson. That isn't God's intentions. So that's why I say the correct interpretation teaches the right thing.
      It wasn't an assumption so much as the lack of an assumption; if there is no evidence within the text to support the belief that they knew he was a prophet, only a circumstantial argument along the lines of "well, he had just performed a miracle in the city, etc." then I don't consider it a very strong assumption to make. The idea that one should not insult a prophet is quite clear regardless. "Don't harrass your elders" is also a fine lesson, whether they knew he was a prophet or not.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• I think that if the lesson were not to jeer your elders it would just be an old man they jeered, not a prophet.

Really I hadn't thought of it that much. If I see what the lesson is, then I'm salisfied. That's all you need.

I really wasn't in any mood for it to tell you the truth since nothing loinburger was saying seemed to intentionally make sense.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Really I hadn't thought of it that much.
          I'm shocked
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

• Taunting someone to go up to a town just doesn't make any sense. Taunting someone to go up to heaven after they've been spreading the story that that's what happened to Elijah (Elisha is the only one there when it happens, so how'd we get the story otherwise...) makes perfect sense. It makes even more sense when you take into account that the author definitely knows what happened to Elijah, and almost certainly wasn't at the occurrence with the youths.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
              Taunting someone to go up to a town just doesn't make any sense. Taunting someone to go up to heaven after they've been spreading the story that that's what happened to Elijah (Elisha is the only one there when it happens, so how'd we get the story otherwise...) makes perfect sense. It makes even more sense when you take into account that the author definitely knows what happened to Elijah, and almost certainly wasn't at the occurrence with the youths.
              It doesn't follow from our knowing what happened through the book that he necessarily let everyone know then, or at any given moment. As I said earlier in the thread, the text seems to indicate that Elisha kept quiet about it at the time. If you want to speculate about what it was possible for the author to know, bear in mind that the book in question involves a flaming chariot coming out of the sky, a man parting a river with a cloak, the aforementioned bear-curse...all things are possible.

"Go up" could make sense in a number of ways: it could, as JM suggested, be a common phrase meaning simply "go," as in "beat it, baldy." They could be mock-cheering him on. He could be struggling to ascend a difficult path. We don't know. Besides, if they were mocking his claims to have seen a man ascend into heaven (as opposed to simply saying something rude but irrelevant), don't you think it would have been made more clear? As in "why do you not call a chariot of fire/join your master" or what-have-you. In any case, when was the last time you were taunted by teenagers? Flippancy doesn't need to be witty, or even make logical sense, for a fourteen-year-old to think it's clever.
              1011 1100

Comment

• "Perhaps the Spirit of the LORD has picked him up and set him down on some mountain or in some valley."

You say we don't know, but the author has already given us a context that fits. He's a prophet who has just witnessed Elijah going up to heaven, and then performing some miracles of his own. Obviously told the people that Elijah was lifted up (since they want to look for where he might have been set down).

There's no need to go further than that and invent a difficult path or rely on it being a bad translation of "go". (It could very well be a bad translation of anything, but without something to suggest that it's not very useful to speculate.)

As for the kids, the author of their words was someone else, many years later, writing down a story of something that probably never even happened (certainly not the way it's described). The story has context that the author knows about, and a moral to teach. In both cases it makes more sense that "go up" is referring to being able to do the same thing as in the main event of that story, which was Elijah's transcendence to heaven.

Comment

No good youth ever grew up to be an evil man or was ever harmed by God.
                  Right. Because you KNOW. Because God told you in a special revelation. Or because this is ungodly behaviour.

Oh, who cares ? You have so many 'get out of logical traps free' cards it's hardly worth the bother arguing with you.

Then there's the whole issue of your being able to redefine what words mean in your own personal linguistic domain, along with your ability to divine the REAL truth about Adolf Hitler.

You're so SPECIAL. It's a wonder no one's claimed you as a new Messiah.

Il y avait sous sa fenêtre une ruche à miel, et quelquefois les abeilles, tournoyant dans la lumière, frappaient contre les carreaux comme des balles d'or rebondissantes. Quel bonheur dans ce temps-là ! quelle liberté ! quel espoir ! quelle abondance d'illusions ! Il n'en restait plus maintenant !
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                    God is very merciful with us.

JM
                    Epidermolysis bullosa seems particularly kind.

The outlook for a type of JEB called Herlitz JEB is very poor. As many as 9 out of 10 children with this form of the condition will die from a serious complication developing during their first two years of life.
                    Epidermolysis bullosa (EB) is a general term used to describe a group of rare, inherited skin disorders that cause the skin to become very fragile.

Suffer the little children. Or, Suffer, the little children!

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

You and Molly Bloom have decided that you don't have to be honest with me, and that you can both harrass me to no end.
                      We aren't acting in concert, nor have we jointly prepared a programme for your public humiliation. I have not been dishonest with you, even though through your own inability to read simple English phrases and understand simple English tenses you have called me a liar.

Try not being an illogical cry baby.

I think it's both terribly immoral and downright stupid.
                      You have demonstrated some expertise in the latter field, certainly.

If you were right you could be honest and present intelligent debate.
                      Ah. Your idea of humour ?

Regardless it shows a severe lack of character on both of your parts.
                      Well boo hoo, Mary Poppins. Somehow I'll try to live with that crushing judgment....

At this point I'm putting you on ignore
                      Oooh, promises promises. You told me this before, and you didn't. Were you bearing false witness ?

It's probably your own wish
                      Don't be tempted to prognosticate. It's a sin.

but I think you made a bad decision by resorting to what you did.
                      Aw, shucks. Je ne regrette rien.

Comment

• Aeson, I'm just not going to argue with you in the future.
                        1011 1100

Comment

. You are aiding a troll against me. You're against God.
                          Hitler suffered from paranoia too, you know. How do you feel about Jews ? You know, the people in Mark's Gospel that are shown as being particularly argumentative, untrustworthy and generally a bad sort ? Feel any antagonism towards them ?

What about uniforms ?

Do you like them in black, tan and battleship grey ?

How about marching styles ?

Are you feeling hemmed in ?

Need some more room to live in ? Ever been to Poland ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            Aeson, I'm just not going to argue with you in the future.
                            WTF? Are you implying you have no free will?????????

Comment

Oh, so you don't mind if he tries to drag me off to hell? You're gonna help?
                              I doubt loinburger believes in the existence of such a domain.

He's more likely to consider it being stuck with you on a long journey with no other seats available, a shortage of reading material other than back issues of 'The Watchtower' and Chick comics, and having a chronic earache.

Comment

So God kills people for that? No.
                                Why not ? He kills them for not being Hebrew. For being offspring of Egyptians. For falling over and touching the Ark (the death penalty for inner ear infections ? Seems a tad harsh.).

That God- what a kidder.

Comment

Working...
                                X