Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The great American linguistic divide: Soda vs Pop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great American linguistic divide: Soda vs Pop.

That map shows differences in word usage across the US when it comes to describing sugary carbonated beverages, A.K.A. soda. As you can see the Northeast and California prefer to use the term "soda" as the generic term for a soft drink (there are also large pockets of sanity in the upper midwest ) while most of the north of the country goes with "pop". Now, to my ears "pop" sounds slightly strange a vaguely yokelish but it is at least a reasonable phrase to describe a generic soft drink, that said, WTF is up with the south? Why do you rebel scum have to refer to everything as a "coke"? Don't you know that's a specific brand and not a generic term? I've remarked on this southern colloquialism several times in my travels but I always thought it was more confined to specific areas (especially around Atlanta due to Coca-Cola having it's HQ there) but it turns out just about all of you use the wrong word.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

This is very old stuff. But hey, I'll play:

I had a college roommate from Alton IL (St Louis/Belleville area, all-white, blue collar) who called it "sody pop." He was a brilliant guy (PhD in biochem), but it made him sound like an idiot.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

NPR recently posted some stuff about the Soda vs Pop debate.

Comment

Coke, by default. Soda, if thought about.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

What about "tonic"?
          VANGUARD

Comment

Tonic is not any of the above.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

On the upside the US is currently experiencing a revival of the old soda counter with soda jerks mixing up authentic classic 19th & early 20th century soda mixtures using fresh ingredients right at the counter as customers wait.

Mixologists at cutting-edge restaurants around the country are digging up old recipes from the soda fountains of the past. The renaissance in beverages made with mineral water and unique blends of sweet syrups and bitters reflects a shift away from industrial soft drinks.

Comment

Funny, "other" is predominant here.

I wonder what that other is. Pop just sounds right to me. My granny loves to use "coke".
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

It kills me that people up here in seattle call it pop. ****ing drives me crazy.
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                    On the upside the US is currently experiencing a revival of the old soda counter with soda jerks mixing up authentic classic 19th & early 20th century soda mixtures using fresh ingredients right at the counter as customers wait.

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/01/140093...-from-the-past
                    This may be the most oerdin post in all of history.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Used to call it Pop until my military days. Then it switched to soda where it has stayed.

Further, what about 'drinking fountian' and 'bubbler'?
                      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

No.

Comment

It's Soda, of course.
                          "

Comment

Pop pop!
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Pop now makes me think of pringles.
                              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                              X