Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to buy a Browning model 1911 automatic pistol.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot a jackoffs talking **** about the 9x19 in that forum. I wonder how many of them got shot with a 9mm and then went to go grab a beer afterwards.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

The better stopping power of the .45 cannot be downplayed, as shown by the history that led to it being designed:

In response to problems encountered by American units fighting Moro guerrillas during the Philippine-American War, the then-standard Colt M1892 revolver, in .38 Long Colt, was found to be unsuitable for the rigors of jungle warfare, particularly in terms of stopping power, as the Moros had very high battle morale and frequently used drugs to inhibit the sensation of pain.[4] The U.S. Army briefly reverted to using the M1873 single-action revolver in .45 Colt caliber, which had been standard during the last decades of the 19th century; the heavier bullet was found to be more effective against charging tribesmen.[5] The problems with the .38 Long Colt led to the Army shipping new single action .45 Colt revolvers to the Philippines in 1902. It also prompted the then-Chief of Ordnance, General William Crozier, to authorize further testing for a new service pistol.[5]

There are situations where a much smaller round just won't do.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I checked on cheaperthandirt, and the 9x19 has nearly the muzzle energy of the .45 ACP.

BVAC sells bulk loads of each in FMJ. The 9mm has 337 ft/lbs. to the .45 ACP's 358 ft/lbs. That's a difference of about 6%. There's no comparable ammo for .38 Long Colt for sale, but wikipedia says it's 201 ft/lbs. at best. I don't doubt that the .45 was a huge improvement on the .38, but the 9mm is no slouch.

The only thing you can really say against the 9mm is that it might overpenetrate and not deliver the full power of the bullet into the target. I still think that the 9mm haters are ****ing silly, and if you shoved an M9 in my face, I'd do whatever you told me to do.
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
          and if you shoved an M9 in my face, I'd do whatever you told me to do.
          It's a date!
          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
            There are not many machines which retain their relevance for 100 years in the modern era. The model 1911 is one of them.
            Another is link
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
            X