Warren Buffet speaks common sense; alarms most Republicans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Funny, how 25 states have better unemployment numbers but only 20 have better workforce participation. Odd that. Apparently you can be unemployed and yet not count as 'unemployed'.

North Dak - 72.3
    Nebraska - 71.1
    Minnesota - 71.9
    South Dak - 70.9
    Iowa - 70.9
    Vermont - 70.6
    New Hamp - 69.5
    Kansas - 69.3
    Alaska - 69.2
    Wyoming - 69.1
    Wisconsin - 68.7
    Virginia - 68.5
    Colorado - 67.9
    Connect - 67.8
    Rhode I - 66.8
    Maryland - 66.7
    Utah - 66.5
    Illinois - 66.0
    D of C - 65.9
    Texas - 65.6

Historically, the Northeast has always had the highest workforce participation. Certain midwestern states are holding on too.
    Yes, more stay-at-home parents is never a good thing. Mothers should enter the workforce and bring up the participation rates. Wait, why make that assumption?

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
      What makes you think tech people in banks understand finance?

Oh, and for the record, Asher, I do have a job.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• So Vermont and New Hampshire are states with a particularly high number of stay at home parents?

Bzzt, try again.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
          How's that working out with the US's Chinese creditors?
          I have no idea what this even means. Are you just producing noises that sound appropriate, or do you have a point?

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
            This. He is making a public policy argument and using his own experiences to show how he and similarly situated people can get away with paying less % of tax (and all rational actors would do so). He is arguing the government should reduce the incentives to get away with paying less, and that he'd be willing to take on those increased burdens.
            No he assumes in his own arrogance a superior moral position.

By that you mean he feels his philanthopy is better suited to reflect his personal preferences and/or believes that he is more efficient with his philanthropy than allowing the government access to his wealth.
            He obviously feels others of the uber rich persuasion do not share his passion and/or wisdom in administrating philanthropy and thus is more than willing to sign his collegues up for government revenue generation. I might add he likely feels so strongly that others are degenerate in their social obligations/duties as to allow that the loss in efficiency of directed philanthropy and/or adminstrative costs are offset.
            Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; August 16, 2011, 14:55.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• I do think that quantitative easing would help (why doesn't the fed do this?), but it is not at all clear to me that there are not structural problems caused by the concentration of wealth. I can't think of any society where higher wealth concentration benefits it.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• I do think that quantitative easing would help (why doesn't the fed do this?)
                Where is the money going to come from Jon? The debts already at 98 percent of GDP. IF QE 3 is another trillion, that's going to put the US at 108 percent debt to GDP assuming that the economy does not grow, or decline further.

Canada's peak, at 4 percent deficits (the US is running 10+) was 104.

I can't think of any society where higher wealth concentration benefits it.
                Every wealthy society has income stratification. Every single one, Jon. The greater the stratification, the larger the economy.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Ben, QE does the exact opposite of what you think it does. It puts more dollars into the government's hands, not fewer.
                  "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

• Ben, QE does the exact opposite of what you think it does. It puts more dollars into the government's hands, not fewer.
                    How so? Explain.

Comment

• The Fed literally creates new dollars in its accounts electronically to purchase financial assets from banks. The government isn't issuing new debt, but rather, it is creating dollars to buy debt back up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
                        No he assumes in his own arrogance a superior moral position.
                        Would it help that he does have a superior moral position?
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• The Fed literally creates new dollars in its accounts electronically to purchase financial assets from banks.
                          Ok, now from supply and demand, what does that do to dollar holders like myself? Would you expect my portfolio to rise or drop?

The government isn't issuing new debt, but rather, it is creating dollars to buy debt back up.
                          Couple things here Jag.

One, privatization is an increase in efficiency. Everything that the government buys has to be managed by someone who's funded from taxpayer dollars.

Two, taking those assets off the market decreases the percentage of the economy that is privatized. This is a problem. As the size of the government increases, then so does the taxpayer burden on the private economy. What has been happening is that QE is getting sucked up in the massive deflationary crush that is weighing on the Fed right now. There's something like more loans out there then there are assets to cover the loans. As the QE gets printed, the banks take the money and use it to try to unwind some of their bad bets.

The money will not go down to people, simply because that's not the purpose of QE. QE is lighting a torch. But the torch burns down, as commodities increase in the face of the dollar. This is good for dollar denominated debt, and good to stave off deflation, but not so great for the rank and file.

The problem is that QE can't be done to actually push off the deflationary pressure, not without destroying the dollar. BofA just about fell apart last week. What's going to happen when people take their money out and buy gold or silver? What do the banks do then, when they are trying to cover their loans, but their asset ratios drop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            TX, with about 25 million people has routinely half the job creation in the nation with a state only consumption tax. Imagine what would happen if the feds and all the states switched over?
                            I'm sure the Texas job growth has nothing to do with high oil prices and a resurgent US energy sector.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• I'm sure the Texas job growth has nothing to do with high oil prices and a resurgent US energy sector.
                              Resurgent energy sector? Have you seen what Obama's done to drilling, and the EPA crap they are dumping on TX? It's the taxes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                                Warren Buffet is making a number of points. One of his points is that some income that is treated as investment income or capital gains under the current tax code is, properly speaking, wage income (and therefore should be taxed as wages). This is a reasonable point that would be totally obviated if we moved from an income tax to a consumption tax.

His other point, regarding the intertemporal elasticity of consumption, is completely unfounded and almost certainly wrong.

The deficit is irrelevant to this discussion. If raising taxes on them closes the deficit, fine, but since it doesn't alter the total quantity of goods and services and since it doesn't redistribute any of those goods or services it cannot actually increase the real wealth of any people.
                                It's not at all irrelevant. The impetus for the article is the deficit/debt crisis.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X