Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Private sector or public sector: Which is more efficient?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have some consideration for your quality of life, man.

Comment

• Breaking a caffeine addiction is easy. Wusses
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• You've never experienced the real work and real responsibility that makes caffeine necessary.

Comment

• Caffeine isn't necessary. You're just weak.

Comment

• Caffeine is the blood in your veins. It is life. If you're against caffeine, you're against life itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
              Caffeine is the blood in your veins. It is life. If you're against caffeine, you're against life itself.

Comment

• This brings up an important question: Do Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman drink coffee?
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• A lot of years back I worked for a law firm that represented doctors and attended a few disciplinary hearings. Discussions about fraud in the public system largely centred on how difficult it was since fees were mandated and daily/weekly and monthly amounts, while not capped back then, were routinely monitored and if a doc claimed the equivalent of say 18 hours of office visits in a day he might find himself flagged for review. Also since docs were in relatively short supply ( a result of essentially government mandated prices being fixed below "market" -- meaning the rates US hospitals were willing to pay to lure them away---) no doc needed to ever invent patients or illnesses to keep busy. Oh and unnecessary tests? Wouldn't happen much since an xray or scan or bloodwork was at a hopsital and the doc billed nothing for the test -- might get a small fee for reviewing the results, but thats about it .

The main area of focus for fraud investigations was basically on overstating the nature or length of an appointment. They never found much . . . . probably becasue it was such a freaking small place that everyone knew everyone in the medical community

IN my sons case in Florida, I don't know if some thiongs were padded or not. Did they need two scans of his abdomen at something like 3 grand each . I had no idea and never cared . I was a worried parent with full insurance so I did not care about efficiency-- that was for the insurance company to worry about (their case nurse called me pretty much every evening and always seemed to be pretty current -- about 6-8 hours behind what was happening )
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                    There is loads of evidence to suggest that this is simply not true in all cases. Much preventative medicine has negative expected value relative to allowing illness to present itself.
                    I won't dispute you . I am sure discovering prostate cancer early and curing it at a cost of hundreds of thousands with all those annoying expensive follow-up tests-- has a far worse "expected value" to the system than say me finding out in time to be told I was rife with cancer and had a week to live--- But for me as an individual its GOLD.

THis goes to the goals of a health care system. The cheapest system might simply be to "kill the ill" although I am sure KH can do a more complex analysis and find that in certain cases it is best to save people (based on their statistically likely probable contribution to society)-- So perhaps we save the 23 year old with a ruptured appendix but the 50 year old with colon cancer is treated with a single morphine shot??
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                      I won't dispute you . I am sure discovering prostate cancer early and curing it at a cost of hundreds of thousands with all those annoying expensive follow-up tests-- has a far worse "expected value" to the system than say me finding out in time to be told I was rife with cancer and had a week to live--- But for me as an individual its GOLD.
                      I can't imagine that the studies I've seen don't somehow credit patient outcomes, but it's been a year since I looked at them, so
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                        Tupac, how did you learn so much about life and the wonders of a free market economic system?
                        "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

• Rappers are the ultimate capitalists...

Comment

• 12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                              I can't imagine that the studies I've seen don't somehow credit patient outcomes, but it's been a year since I looked at them, so
                              I know that any legitimate study has to "credit patient outcomes". The question though is how you do that. Obviously some preventative medicine is too expensive or resource consuming. Even if a test would completely diagnose and lead to the cure for 6 people and prevent their deaths, you are not going to do it if the test costs 5 grand a person and needs a person to attend at an appointment for 4 hours. People wont expend that much time or money to do a specific test to find something thats 6 in 300 million. But a general physical can fairly cheaply check you out for a number of ailments

I suspect the studies might have less problem with things like routine physicals and bloodwork and may take issue with other more extensive routine testing but I haven't read them either so I'll leave it at a suspicion for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X