Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's with the US budget and recession stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cockney, there's no such thing as a cb with a fiat currency trying and failing to reduce the value of their currency*

*unless they are competing with a cb on the opposite side of the cross which is fighting them and which also has fiat currency. this is manifestly not the case with the ECB
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• err...maybe i'm missing something, but it's pretty clear that the SNB has intervened in the currency markets this year and before, clearly with the aim of lowering the value of the franc, and the franc has kept on rising (obviously until the peg was announced). i mean obviously when they have intervened it has lowered the value of the franc, but very soon after each intervention the franc has risen again.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Halfhearted gestures don't mean ****. As soon as the scb actually decided to do what it took to lower the value of the franc, they succeeded.

The scb can no more try and fail to lower the value of their currency than I can try but fail to not eat sweets; the only possible failure is one of will.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
          Halfhearted gestures don't mean ****. As soon as the scb actually decided to do what it took to lower the value of the franc, they succeeded.

The scb can no more try and fail to lower the value of their currency than I can try but fail to not eat sweets; the only possible failure is one of will.
          True in the immediate term, as the markets take advantage of the willingness of the SCB to lose money for short-term results, but not true in the long term. In the long term, the only way the SCB can lower the value of their currency is to print enough currency to reduce its value through inflation.
          The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
          - A. Lincoln

Comment

• Comment

• Now days central banks can print or unprint money at will simply via computer. They can increase liquidity or remove it simply at the touch of a button.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by grumbler View Post
                True in the immediate term, as the markets take advantage of the willingness of the SCB to lose money for short-term results, but not true in the long term. In the long term, the only way the SCB can lower the value of their currency is to print enough currency to reduce its value through inflation.
                Did you comment without reading the thread?
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• therefore they ought to be printing more CHF to meet demand! Aside from satisfying the market's demand they can also reap the seigniorage income.
                  Which is why the policy will fail. Why not just let it float with market demand? If the swiss can't maintain their high value, than their dollar will drop. If they can, then long term stability would suggest that the market is setting the true value.

I'm not clear how the CHF policy is at all beneficial to them. To the Euro, yes, but not to the CHF.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                  X