Dateline-China's Ghost Cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's racist!
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

But a little funny.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
        reminds me of dwarf fortress

JM
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
          Yes they need to liberalize their terms of sales, but if the average urban family is making $6000 / year they're still not going to be able to afford $ 500,000 apartments. A 10% down payment would be 9 years of wages and the average balance paid off each year would be 2 1/2 times their annual earnings. That's not counting the interest paid. To bring housing into the range of their workers they'll need to bring the prices down to around $20,000.
          I wonder what the actual unit cost of these apartments is?
          I'm purely guessing but assuming actual cost of land & construction is 40% of sale price (which is likely way too low) then we're still talking $200,000 on the high end half million places and half that on the typical quarter million dollar place. Assuming two incomes both at $6k we have $12k per year per household on average so five times earnings (the old level of how much someone should pay max for a house) we have $60k. Even if Chinese save more for a larger down payment and even if the interest rate was low they're still priced out by a large margin.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
            reminds me of dwarf fortress

JM

Please explain.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

64 million vacant apartments is a lot, but should be put in context of a population of 1.33 billion people.

By comparison, the US has some 15 million vacant homes, with a population of 310 million.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                I'm purely guessing but assuming actual cost of land & construction is 40% of sale price (which is likely way too low) then we're still talking $200,000 on the high end half million places and half that on the typical quarter million dollar place. Assuming two incomes both at $6k we have $12k per year per household on average so five times earnings (the old level of how much someone should pay max for a house) we have $60k. Even if Chinese save more for a larger down payment and even if the interest rate was low they're still priced out by a large margin.
                For the couple interviewed in the linked videoi it was $ 6000 together. That's about right considering China's current per capita GNP.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Even taking into account the population, the rate of vacancy is higher in China than in the US. Wow. That's not a good thing.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

this is why the panda has been voted into the top 5 most dangerous animals
                    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Working...
                    X