Anti-semitism in the work place!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-semitism in the work place!

A coworker brought donuts into work the other day and sent out an email to the whole office to let people know the donuts were there for the taking. Nice. Then, she sent an email to me, and me alone, telling me that next time she would be sure to bring in bagels and cream cheese and lox for me. Because, I guess, I'm Jewish?

I've never mentioned having Jewish ancestry to anyone in the office (although it's obvious from my last name), and while I have eaten the occasional bagel with cream cheese, I don't like lox. What could possibly possess her to tell me this? I was so flabbergasted that I just ignored the email. I had no idea how to respond.

Then, yesterday, as we were leaving for the day, she asked me if I liked bagels and cream cheese and lox. I told her I liked bagels but not lox. And then she proceeded to tell me a story. When she was a small child, she was at the house of a Jewish family, and they were eating bagels and cream cheese and lox! She said she didn't like the lox, so they made her an omelet instead, and she thought that was very nice of them. She never forgot those nice Jews. And to this day, she has many Jewish friends! I just sort of nodded, and then left. wtf?

Now, a few more pieces of information. I am in no way whatsoever offended. I mean, if she had asked me if I wanted a gas chamber with my donuts, I would have smiled and nodded just the same. So it's not as if I'm bothered by her stereotyping; I'm just wholly confused as to her motive. She's not flirting with me, that's for sure. She's old enough to be my mother and she's married.

There's one extra piece of information that might be relevant here, which is that I went to school with two of her children and even grew up in the same neighborhood. But as far as I'm aware, she's completely ignorant of this nugget of information. That, or she's done just as good a job as I have at hiding the fact that she knows this connection exists.

So the question is, what do I do about this? Do I contact the Anti-Defamation League, report her to HR, offer to get her traditional Shinto foods because she's married to a Japanese man? Clearly, I have to do something, or it's possible she might try to make conversation with me again, and I just can't have that. Can't have that at all.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

The Shinto offer sounds good. You could offer to serve it on a samurai sword as shish kabobs.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Jews have very long toes...
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Ignore it. She's awkwardly trying to be friendly. She thinks it's important to tell you that she doesn't dislike you because you're jewish.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
          She's not flirting with me, that's for sure. She's old enough to be my mother and she's married.
          While this might rule out your interest it might not necessarily rule out hers. Not that I'm suggesting such a thing - she's probably just weird. Call the police just in case.

Comment

Tell her that you are not Jewish but Palestinian, see what she does next
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
              A coworker brought donuts into work the other day and sent out an email to the whole office to let people know the donuts were there for the taking. Nice. Then, she sent an email to me, and me alone, telling me that next time she would be sure to bring in bagels and cream cheese and lox for me. Because, I guess, I'm Jewish?

I've never mentioned having Jewish ancestry to anyone in the office (although it's obvious from my last name), and while I have eaten the occasional bagel with cream cheese, I don't like lox. What could possibly possess her to tell me this? I was so flabbergasted that I just ignored the email. I had no idea how to respond.

Then, yesterday, as we were leaving for the day, she asked me if I liked bagels and cream cheese and lox. I told her I liked bagels but not lox. And then she proceeded to tell me a story. When she was a small child, she was at the house of a Jewish family, and they were eating bagels and cream cheese and lox! She said she didn't like the lox, so they made her an omelet instead, and she thought that was very nice of them. She never forgot those nice Jews. And to this day, she has many Jewish friends! I just sort of nodded, and then left. wtf?

Now, a few more pieces of information. I am in no way whatsoever offended. I mean, if she had asked me if I wanted a gas chamber with my donuts, I would have smiled and nodded just the same. So it's not as if I'm bothered by her stereotyping; I'm just wholly confused as to her motive. She's not flirting with me, that's for sure. She's old enough to be my mother and she's married.

There's one extra piece of information that might be relevant here, which is that I went to school with two of her children and even grew up in the same neighborhood. But as far as I'm aware, she's completely ignorant of this nugget of information. That, or she's done just as good a job as I have at hiding the fact that she knows this connection exists.

So the question is, what do I do about this? Do I contact the Anti-Defamation League, report her to HR, offer to get her traditional Shinto foods because she's married to a Japanese man? Clearly, I have to do something, or it's possible she might try to make conversation with me again, and I just can't have that. Can't have that at all.
              Dunno, but great story

Now why would Jews prefer bagels and stuff over donuts? Or is it just her thinking Jews prefer bagels and stuff over donuts?? But then, why would they??? I mean, what's wrong with donuts?

:confused :

Also:

She's not flirting with me, that's for sure. She's old enough to be my mother and she's married.
              Not that this would exclude anything...
              Blah

Comment

Why wait for the cops? Shoot her in self-defense.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                  Ignore it. She's awkwardly trying to be friendly. She thinks it's important to tell you that she doesn't dislike you because you're jewish.
                  This is like when I mentioned off hand that my mom was a jew (she converted a few years ago) and then I somehow became the office jew. People asking me about channukah and passover and all this ****. It was ridiculous. It's hard to imagine how bad real jews have it especially with this whole "going out of the way to be polite even if everything I know about jews is one giant bizarre stereotype".

What you should do is definitely release your inner bear jew.
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
                    Jews have very long toes...
                    Do you mean feet?
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I didn't know MRT is Jewish. Where were you when I had a debate with HC about the selling of pork to gentiles?
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

This sounds more like philo-semitism than anti-semitism to me.

Comment

Wiki tells me that:
                          Bagels with cream cheese and lox (cured salmon) are considered a traditional part of American Jewish cuisine (colloquially known as lox and a schmear).
                          Stop rejecting your traditional cultural heritage!

Or eat a donut every time she comes near you.
                          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

She's probably just staking you out to try and steal your Joo-gold, Lorizael.

Comment

Little does she know, I lost my joo-gold.

Comment

Working...
                              X