Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare and contrast:

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• AAHZ what I meant was cats or hep-cat, which later became used for hip, hipster, hippies, etc, was first used around the 1920s or so, begun in the blues crowd by African Americans originally. I took this knowledge from Melvyn Bragg's "The Adventure of English". Also Albie, in the story of the film Pulp Fiction "The Gold Watch", the scene starts with Captain Koons (Christopher Walken) talking about coming back from Veitnam, being a POW for about 5 years or so. This date could be within 1970 to 1976, and Bruce Willis' character Butch is only a kid, perhaps ten or twelve, which makes his adult age at the time being around mid-30s, thereby setting the present in the 1990s. Quentin Tarantino was very influenced by the 70s as that was the majority of films he saw as a child which got him into working at a video store.
      "Life is the only RPG you'll ever play, The religious want to be one with the moderator, the scientists want to hack the game, and the gamers want to do both."

Comment

• Originally posted by MattBowron View Post
        AAHZ what I meant was cats or hep-cat, which later became used for hip, hipster, hippies, etc, was first used around the 1920s or so, begun in the blues crowd by African Americans originally. I took this knowledge from Melvyn Bragg's "The Adventure of English". Also Albie, in the story of the film Pulp Fiction "The Gold Watch", the scene starts with Captain Koons (Christopher Walken) talking about coming back from Veitnam, being a POW for about 5 years or so. This date could be within 1970 to 1976, and Bruce Willis' character Butch is only a kid, perhaps ten or twelve, which makes his adult age at the time being around mid-30s, thereby setting the present in the 1990s. Quentin Tarantino was very influenced by the 70s as that was the majority of films he saw as a child which got him into working at a video store.
        And that has what to do with your original post or anything at all to do with 'jive talk', particularly the fact that Samuel L Jackson's character, at least in the quote you referenced, did not speak in 'jive'? Matter fact, why was 'jive talk' even brought up? I know this thread went off on a different tangent but, as far as I could tell, a reference to 'jive talk' was even irrelevant to the tangential topic. You come in asking "What if they're speaking jive?", as a question to what? Who is 'they'? Are you suggesting this was a response to our discussion about contractions of the verb 'have'?

That was why I asked 'What the ****?' Your post made no sense.
        Last edited by Al B. Sure!; May 30, 2011, 21:34.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• I missed this...

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
          I know a guy who worked at a call center and mastered the african american accent
          And what would that be? You do realize a Black guy from Brooklyn sounds nothing like a Black guy from Mississippi, right?

Comment

• Sorry Albie, I'll explain. You guys were talking about the girl who blocked. Then it turned into a conversation about grammar with the I've and so forth. When the discussion went about the phrase He's a Cat or He've a Cat, I thought you were confused over the term Cat, which I now realise was deadset wrong. Thus I mentioned the origin of the term I was told from a documentary I saw about the history of the development of the English language. I interpreted the 1920s and 1940s terms such as "hep-cat", "cool", "groovy" etc as being the beginning of what would later evolve into 1970s African-American jive talk. Why I say jive, is because I interpreted jive as being purely based around the slang of African Americans in the 20th century, not just during the 1970s. If I have offended you in any way or annoyed the crap out of you, I apologise. I hope my explanation gives a good answer to your "what the ****" statement.
            "Life is the only RPG you'll ever play, The religious want to be one with the moderator, the scientists want to hack the game, and the gamers want to do both."

Comment

• Awesome; this has devolved into a discussion between aahz, albie and matt bowron.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by MattBowron View Post
                Sorry Albie, I'll explain. You guys were talking about the girl who blocked. Then it turned into a conversation about grammar with the I've and so forth. When the discussion went about the phrase He's a Cat or He've a Cat, I thought you were confused over the term Cat, which I now realise was deadset wrong. Thus I mentioned the origin of the term I was told from a documentary I saw about the history of the development of the English language. I interpreted the 1920s and 1940s terms such as "hep-cat", "cool", "groovy" etc as being the beginning of what would later evolve into 1970s African-American jive talk. Why I say jive, is because I interpreted jive as being purely based around the slang of African Americans in the 20th century, not just during the 1970s. If I have offended you in any way or annoyed the crap out of you, I apologise. I hope my explanation gives a good answer to your "what the ****" statement.
                Thank you, sir. I apologize for my rudeness.

The "He's a cat" (He've a cat wouldn't make sense since 'he have a cat' isn't correct; the form is 'he has a cat') confusion was just because of its ambiguousness with that verb contraction, not because someone can't be a 'cat' in a slang context. I am well-aware of calling someone a 'cat'. Also, 'dog' is another slang term for another man.

Again, sorry for the rudeness.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                  Awesome; this has devolved into a discussion between aahz, albie and matt bowron.
                  It is pretty awesome. Especially with the excruciatingly detailed explanations and X-treme politeness.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• sorry, my bad

Comment

Working...
                    X