This female really blocked my number...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    Kitschum, in English we don't abbreviate "have" in the possessive sense like that
    "i've no love" gets over a million results on Google...
    "i've no money" gets over 4 million...
    "i've no job" gets ~700,000...

Comment

albie correcting the English skills of Swedes who are better English speakers than him:
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I've seen... I've got...

No one says "I've money".
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Only when it's an auxiliary verb does it usually get combined with the pronoun. Not as a main verb with its possessive meaning.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Maybe not in the ghetto.

Comment

I have never seen 'have' contracted with the pronoun except when 'have' is an auxiliary verb.

Not saying it's incorrect. I'm saying it's not common usage.

Am I entering the Apolyton Twilight Zone?

Comment

I'm assuming albie is now explaining that people choose to not use a grammatical contraction in philadelphia -> it is incorrect to use this grammatical contraction
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'ven't either.
                  "

Comment

Does any of this sound right to a native English speaker?

You've a car.

They've a house.

He's a cat. (NOW HOW THE **** IS THIS ONE SUPPOSED TO WORK?! How do you know if it's He has or He is?)

As opposed to...

You've got a car.
                    They've got a house.
                    He's got a cat.

Comment

You know you've hit rock bottom when you've no other way to feel good about yourself except trying to correct a Swede's English grammar.

Comment

I was trying to help him out by telling him something a native speaker wouldn't contract.

Entering Apolyton Twilight Zone where suddenly everyone loses familiarity with the English language in 3... 2... 1...

Comment

Here:

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          You know you've hit (see! Auxiliary verb so contraction is common) rock bottom when you've (not typical American English) no other way to feel good about yourself except trying to correct a Swede's English grammar.

Comment

American English only contracts forms of have when used as auxiliaries
                            I win.

Comment

All of those are perfectly legitimate, if slightly irregular in certain regions.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                                Here:
                                So your objection is that a Swede isn't typing in American English?

Comment

Working...
                                X