Hail and Farewell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hail and Farewell

So, as you all probably noticed (or are noticing now, if you didn't care), it's been quite some time since Lent ended and I was free to post here again. Well, here's the thing: I gave up Poly for Lent for a number of reasons, but basically they boiled down to

A. Like many people who participate in online discussions, I found myself turning into a totally different person--specifically, a person who happens to be a wee bit of a douchebag--online. I got involved in arguments I didn't even care about, acted glib and snotty in them, kicked people when they were down, yadda yadda. This doesn't bother most people, but I'm not most people, I'm Elok. I take everything too seriously. More importantly, however,

B. I spent a lot of time on here. Massive, kind of depressing amounts of time. On careful analysis, I think this is because I basically have no real social life. I have my wife, two old friends from college and Poly as a social crutch so I can fulfill the urge to converse without the awkwardness and fear of real interaction (yes, Al, I'm an aspie). That needs to change.

To that end (among other, equally important goals, like becoming actually independent and trying something new), I'm flying down to Peru tomorrow to teach ESL. Oh, and while I'm announcing big developments in Elok's life out of the blue, my wife is pregnant, the kid's due in January. Anyway, more importantly from your perspective, I'm going to be largely absent from Poly for the foreseeable future, at least until I get my **** together. Or some semblance of ****-togetherness, anyway. I want to check back in from time to time, but mostly I'll be trying to be human.

Yeah, this sounds a lot like one of those leaving-forever posts, but I figured it'd be a really dick move to just scram and not say anything after close to eight years hanging out here, and that outweighed the ridiculousness factor. Besides, I'm not throwing a hissy-fit and I don't think it'll be forever or even "forever," so hopefully that makes it better. I have no idea where I'll be a year, or even six months, from now, but when/if I get back to America-land or other inhabited parts it'd be cool to actually meet up with some of you gentlemen. IIRC a lot of great people on here actually live in the MD area.

My wife speculates that I just can't handle talking to you anymore since she started playing Civ--it's too painful. Little does she know we never talk/ed about Civ on here, but there's her theory.

TLDR summary: Elok going to be gone a while. Going to Peru to get groove back/get groove in first place/find out what "groove" is. Shelok pregnant. You guys cool. Bye-bye, good luck.

Actually, before I go, are there any big developments I need to know about? Did Guy see Machete like I recommended, and like it? Has HC done that "pan far" thing yet? Did Asher and BK finally kiss? I'll check tomorrow AM, the plane doesn't leave till evening.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Has HC done that "pan far" thing yet?

Comment

Suerte en Peru! Espero que encuentras lo que estas buscando.

Comment

i was just thinking the other day that this forum was missing you, it's a shame you're leaving, but i totally understand your reasons.

good luck in peru fella how long are planning to stay there, will shelock be going with you?

if you need any advice about teaching ESL in latin america or living in latin america in general, drop me a pm.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

As always you ever out TX way give me a shout. Take care of yourself Elok.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Good luck with your journeys - hope the best for both.

Oh, and congrats with the little new Elok.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Sounds like you've grown up a lot since avoiding Poly (there's a lesson there!), especially by admitting that you were a bit of a douchbag here...

Anyway, mega kudos to you for what you're doing! Have a brilliant time and that you truly 'find' yourself. Not to mention the fact that I'm jealous you're heading out to Peru...
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                Actually, before I go, are there any big developments I need to know about? Did Guy see Machete like I recommended, and like it? Has HC done that "pan far" thing yet? Did Asher and BK finally kiss? I'll check tomorrow AM, the plane doesn't leave till evening.
                This is a big development? Maybe you really do need to stay away a bit longer. Good luck!
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Good luck, Elok. Name your kid after me.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Congratulations, and good luck.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Who is this Elok dude? And why does he think we care?
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

have fun in peru

moderation, everything in moderation...

Comment

I found myself turning into a totally different person--specifically, a person who happens to be a wee bit of a douchebag--online. I got involved in arguments I didn't even care about, acted glib and snotty in them, kicked people when they were down, yadda yadda.

It's a shame that you're leaving just after you figured out how to be a good Poly poster, but good luck anyway!

Comment

There's not enough moderation around here
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Elok, all the best to you. You were always one of the better posters here and I expect our loss is your gain.

Good luck, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X