Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polytubby in the news!

Va. worker played video game for 28 hours

A Virginia Department of Transportation employee spent nearly 30 hours of department time over two weeks playing "Civilization IV," a computer role-playing game, according to a state audit.

In response to a complaint that Matthew Bolick, a Culpeper District land use engineer, was spending about six hours a day on personal use of the Internet on his computer, the state began monitoring his activity in February.

From Feb. 16 to March 3, he spent about 28 hours playing the game. He also checked various shopping websites, sports websites, Wikipedia and his children's swim team website, the audit found.

Bolick's wife, son and daughter were also using his state computer at night and on weekends, the audit found.

The audit said Bolick's game playing represented "excessive personal use on a consistent basis during work days." He spent most of his online time playing "Sid Meier's Civilization IV," an award-winning 2005 installment of Meier's popular turn-based computer game that allows players to build empires over the course of thousands of years in game time.

The audit describes it as "an interactive medieval war game that requires a high degree of user interaction."

Personal internet usage that is more than "incidental and occasional" is a violation of state policy.

The audit also cited Bolick for visiting a "questionable website" on the computer during a weekend. The site, Cracked.com, bills itself as "America's only humor site since 1958."

The cost of the investigation totaled more than $3,500, while the amount of fraud, waste or abuse identified -- 28 hours of game playing at a $39.90-an-hour pay rate -- was $1,117.20.

Calls to Bolick were not returned.

VDOT declined to comment on the specific case and said state law prevents the department from revealing whether Bolick was disciplined as a result of the audit's findings, according to VDOT spokesman Joe Vagi.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Fact Check comment submitted.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

WTF? Since when has Civ 4 been a role playing game?

Idiots.
      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

How does Ben know he uses Apolyton? Or is Ben trying to be funny?

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
          WTF? Since when has Civ 4 been a role playing game?

Idiots.
          Hence my fact check post on their site.
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Back in the '90s, I was a locations developer for a Pizza Restaurant chain and spent many happy hours playing the original Civilization. Chortle.

There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Let's see.

VA DOT. Slacker. Civver. Checks out cracked. This is so totally a polytubby. I'd be shocked if it wasn't one of us.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                Hence my fact check post on their site.

But you forgot the smilie.
                Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post

But you forgot the smilie.
                  Damnit! I knew it was missing that special thing.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                    Damnit! I knew it was missing that special thing.

Wiggy is very disappointed in you.

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; May 21, 2011, 17:56.
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
                        I used to think Civ 4 was the worse piece of trash Firaxis ever shat out (It is well known I thought Civ 3 was better...)
                        You're just wrong about everything, aren't you?
                        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I used to think Civ 4 was the worse piece of trash Firaxis ever shat out (It is well known I thought Civ 3 was better...)

BUT THEN they made Civ 5 and it almost makes me wish I HADN'T thrown away my copy of Civ 4
                          Aren't you overdue your next hissyfit and deleting all your posts?
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; May 21, 2011, 17:57.
                            Order of the Fly
                            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

The fact of the matter is that I will still be one of the last ones standing when this ****hole pit of a site finally folds, after all that you ******s tried to do to kill me.

and THATS what pisses you right the **** off the most doesn't it Rich? You failed, sun.
                              How do you know you will be "one of the last" people here?

Comment

Working...
                              X