Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it so hard to be a part-time bank teller (or to get any job)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alby is trying to time it such that he joins the marines when the US isn't in any active combat (hah hah). That way he can say he's a marine without having to do much.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
      Why join the marines if you hate long hours? Being deployed in Afghanistan sounds like a full time thing.
      It does, doesn't it? What else are you going to do with your time though? I mean, Oerdin might like it. He's into rocks. A normal person, it would seem kind of a drag.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Anyway so I had a group interview today for a teller position at Wells Fargo. This exposed me to just who are the other candidates... It was a large group of at least 25 and it was almost entirely black women (and yes, just for Dave Floyd, every single one was a Syreeta, Lakisha, etc.)... There were only about 3 males in all and I was the only white person there, by the way. Go figure. There were current college students there, but I suspect I was one of the few with a bachelors.

Judging from their answers to the interview questions, they all were shift or assistant managers of retail stores (mostly clothing stores) with an older black guy who had been a manager of a bunch of Blockbusters before they went under.

Since I knew Wells Fargo is a very sales-oriented bank, I went into my sales bag for my answers to the group session questions like "What is your greatest accomplishment?"... Besides standing up to speak (which funnily enough the people who talked after me all repeated), I made sure to bounce off of what other people had said previously if I could, making sure to drop their names (ie- "Like Tiara, I, too...", etc.)... if I couldn't pronounce/remember one woman's name, I said "Excuse me, what is your name again? Lakisha? Hi, Lakisha... As Lakisha was saying...", etc.

For the greatest accomplishment question, I took a gamble and went very unorthodox. I briefly flashed a bunch of things that I could be proud of (going to school while working two concurrent jobs, being promoted up quickly at every job I held, etc.), but said that I don't look to the past and what I have done with any special sentiment. I'm focused on the future and believe that my accomplishments are ahead of me, particularly with Wells Fargo, I said with a smile... I basically bypassed the question and went where no one else went with it.

good idea? Bad?

As for the current job... they're moving me to a problem store where the current GM had some emergency which I am not privy too. I'm being tasked with turning the store completely around. It's in a predominately white area in Northeast Philadelphia but has a terrible reputation for garbage service, low quality food, and dilapidated conditions. Everything is broken in that store. The shake machine doesn't work. The heat for the fries in the holding area is broken so french fries are always cold unless immediately given to customers which is not feasible with the very small fryer there. Half the grill does not work. The store is set up in a manner which almost seems to be intentional to slow down employee productivity. If corporate walked through this store, there's no way it would remain operational. The store is an embarrassment to the company. It is a mess and it now seems they really need me because they're transferring a whole new management team to the store and I'm supposed to work with another Assistant Manager to get the store on track.

The sudden move seems a good opportunity to quit but now I don't know how to face them because they've entrusted me with an important responsibility that seems to also be a test.

How can I quit without feeling guilty?
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

If it was me, I would take the problem child challenge. I like to turn things around; and think about this, taking over something running perfectly, and it dips.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            Anyway so I had a group interview today for a teller position at Wells Fargo. This exposed me to just who are the other candidates... It was a large group of at least 25 and it was almost entirely black women (and yes, just for Dave Floyd, every single one was a Syreeta, Lakisha, etc.)... There were only about 3 males in all and I was the only white person there, by the way. Go figure.
            Looking at your profile, there were no white people there.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              Stop being a baby. Alternatively, don't waste your time killing brown people in Afghanistan while crying about how you left your job as a fast food assistant to the manager.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                If it was me, I would take the problem child challenge. I like to turn things around; and think about this, taking over something running perfectly, and it dips.
                The working hours and the commute (which will now be longer) is making this problematic. People here want to comment on my posts without reading them because I'm tired of repeating for the 20th time that it's not about the raw hours or the work that is bothering me... it's the unfulfilling work (who really gives a **** if customers get their fatty food within an average of 180 seconds of beginning the order or 200 seconds? I'm tired of daily conference calls stressing the importance of this and other stupid metrics that I can't even fake giving a damn about any more ) combined with the fact that 10+ hour days on my feet, plus a 1 hr commute to work and a 2 hour commute anytime I get off between midnight and 6am (which seems constant), plus being on call all the time, plus ever-changing time of day that I'm working, plus my schedule changing all the time... it's making PTing difficult. I can't see me effectively preparing for the Marines physically with this sort of schedule. Maybe if it stabilized, I could fit it in but, especially now, my schedule is going to be even more variable.

I could sacrifice sleep but what good is that going to do for my PT? I can exercise all I want but it won't mean a thing if I don't get rest; all I'll do is expose myself to injuries.

Plus I want to take this time to work on songs and perform and I can't do that currently. I want to do that now before the Marines.
                Last edited by Al B. Sure!; May 19, 2011, 02:31.
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

The sudden move seems a good opportunity to quit but now I don't know how to face them because they've entrusted me with an important responsibility that seems to also be a test.

Remember how I said your resume infers a lack of ambition?

You're now up on the table, singing about it.

This is an opportunity to shine, to show off your problem solving skills.

You want to be a marine officer? How the **** can men trust you to lead them into battle if you can't handle something simple like this?
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

You're sending a mixed message here. On one hand you talk about entrusted and a challenge to fix, and in then you talk about unfulfilling work. Yes there can be both aspects but overall it has to be one or the other.
                    If it's an overall challenge and you feel up to it, then do it. BUT if you succeed take that back to the suits and ask what the reward is for all the extra hours commuting/hard work that you did to solve their problem. If they appear clueless and will not acknowledge your success with appropriate compensation or other considerations, then screw them. No guilt necessary.

If your not up to the challenge or are not being motivated enough, then continue to seek employment elsewhere.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

you're
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Group interview?!? That's odd.
                        Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Group interview is apparently very common the last few years.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
                            you're
                            damn it
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                              Stop being a baby. Alternatively, don't waste your time killing brown people in Afghanistan while crying about how you left your job as a fast food assistant to the manager.
                              This is mean. And funny.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

plus a 1 hr commute to work and a 2 hour commute anytime I get off between midnight and 6am (which seems constant),
                                Get a car.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X