• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nearly Half Of Detroiters illiterate.

Startup 2011 Tickets
    Nearly Half Of Detroiters Can't Read
    John Ellis | May 5, 2011, 3:07 PM | 3,306 | comment 41

Detroit was once the symbol of American wealth and industrial capacity. It is now everybody's emblem of decline.

The data about Detroit grow more depressing by the month. This report may be the most depressing thing you'll read all year.

In a nutshell, it says that roughly half of all the people who live in Detroit are illiterate. They can't read the back of a cereal box. They can't read a weather report. They can't read at all.

As Andrew Coulson notes in his blog at Cato: "Virtually the entire illiterate population has completed elementary school, the level at which reading is theoretically taught. That’s seven years of schooling (k-6), at a cost of roughly $100,000, for… nothing."

By way of epitaph, last month every teacher in the Detroit public school system was laid off.

Read more:http://www.businessinsider.com/nearl...#ixzz1Lc76qbmk

hard to believe.

Unions
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

So much for "No child left behind".
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It says "functionally illiterate", not illiterate, and defines that as "the inability of an individual to use reading, speaking, writing, and computational skills in everyday life situations". I have no idea how the author of that article was able to infer that this necessarily implies that half of Detroiters can't read the stuff on the back of a cereal box. Maybe the author is illiterate.

Comment

Even so, Detroit still sucks.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
            It says "functionally illiterate", not illiterate, and defines that as "the inability of an individual to use reading, speaking, writing, and computational skills in everyday life situations". I have no idea how the author of that article was able to infer that this necessarily implies that half of Detroiters can't read the stuff on the back of a cereal box. Maybe the author is illiterate.
            Stop deflecting attention from the teachers and parents who completely failed these children. If you're unable to use reading in everyday life situations, then you're ****ed for life.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

hard to believe.
              Uhmn, isn't it the american way ?
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                Stop deflecting attention from the teachers and parents who completely failed these children. If you're unable to use reading in everyday life situations, then you're ****ed for life.
                Yeah, but if you live in Detroit, you're liable to get ****ed anyway.

Comment

****, I bet half of poly is functionally illiterate using that definition.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                    Uhmn, isn't it the american way ?
                    You mean like helping anyone that asks for help? I don't see anyone petitioning Denmark for help. If you're saying we should go into isolation and build our country up and blow off those that seek help, I suppose there's a valid argument for it.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                      You mean like helping anyone that asks for help? I don't see anyone petitioning Denmark for help. If you're saying we should go into isolation and build our country up and blow off those that seek help, I suppose there's a valid argument for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                        ****, I bet half of poly is functionally illiterate using that definition.
                        You certainly are.

Comment

Does Detroit have a tv show? like CSI or whatever + "Detroit"
                          I need a foot massage

Comment

Whats the problem with the other half?
                            Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
                              Does Detroit have a tv show? like CSI or whatever + "Detroit"
                              No.

Detroit is a small city though. 700K people and declining.
                              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                              X