A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
    Yeah Al Gore can suck my dick cause it's freezing off here.
    There was this joke where Ned Stark was compared to Al Gore;
    - Both were the right hand of a former leader of administration
    - Both can't stop talking about climate change all the time

But just for the record: thanks to your bloody cold winter, in the States, we're having the hottest winter since like ever overhere in Europe.
    Can you please send a bit of your winter to us please, it's getting pretty boring overhere. Haven't seen any snow or frost since last February overhere!

Summer is staying!
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Actually, your winter is merely yet more proof that this planet is in the grip of climate change.
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• PS 11C here. Contemplating coming to work in a t-shirt tomorrow...

Comment

• Ugh, now we know that Mr Fun isn't the only one who can't wait to post Facebook memes on Poly
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Hodor!

Comment

• character was good

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                Actually, your winter is merely yet more proof that this planet is in the grip of climate change.
                no it's not and that's retarded. There are actual lines of evidence for global warming and severe weather isn't among them.

When it was cold in Europe and warm here in 2010 that was also evidence for global warming. That would make global warming unfalsifiable.

But this is a thread about game of thrones so let's not grandstand on environmental issues.

Comment

Ahh, the old "it's cold outside in winter so there must not be climate change" canard. Averages, son, look up the definition.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Do you practice at stupid statements or is it a natural talent?
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                      Ahh, the old "it's cold outside in winter so there must not be climate change" canard. Averages, son, look up the definition.
                      You're reading too far into a glib complaint.

Comment

no it's not and that's retarded.
                        Unsurprisingly, the extreme cold has brought out the climate change skeptics, who point to the freeze and the recent snowstorms and say, essentially, “nyah-nyah.” (look it's you, reg! ) Now this is where I would usually point to the fact that the occasional cold snap—even one as extreme as much of the U.S. is experiencing now—doesn’t change the overall trajectory of a warming planet. Weather is what happens in the atmosphere day to day; climate is how the atmosphere behaves over long periods of time. Winters in the U.S. have been warming steadily over the past century, and even faster in recent decades, so it would take more than a few sub-zero days to cancel that out.

But not only does the cold spell not disprove climate change, it may well be that global warming could be making the occasional bout of extreme cold weather in the U.S. even more likely. Right now much of the U.S. is in the grip of a polar vortex, which is pretty much what it sounds like: a whirlwind of extremely cold, extremely dense air that forms near the poles. Usually the fast winds in the vortex—which can top 100 mph (161 k/h)—keep that cold air locked up in the Arctic. But when the winds weaken, the vortex can begin to wobble like a drunk on his fourth martini, and the Arctic air can escape and spill southward, bringing Arctic weather with it. In this case, nearly the entire polar vortex has tumbled southward, leading to record-breaking cold, as you can see in this weatherbell.com graphic:
                        Read more: Polar Vortex: Climate Change Could Be the Cause of Record Cold Weather | TIME.com http://science.time.com/2014/01/06/c...#ixzz2pndTBJ3y

Yep, I'll take my lead from the climate change experts, rather than a ****wit ****** spouting gibberish like you, reg...

Comment

• You can't disassociate extreme weather events from climate change, all weather systems are occurring in a warmer (therefore more energetic) and wetter atmosphere, so all weather events are affected.

The cause of the current sever weather is a natural fluctuation in the gulf stream, the severity of some of the events especially wind and rain falls in the UK is increased due to the ongoing anthropomorphic climate change.

And as MOBIUS said, even the scale of the fluctuation in the gulf stream might be exaggerated.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

• Can we please get a mod over here to move the OT discussion elsewhere?
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Regexcellent is quite right to point out that you reap what you sow. If you're going to use Haiyan as evidence for global warming then you can't complain that others use this freeze as a refutation.

The evidence for global warming lies in averages, not individual events.
                              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
                                Regexcellent is quite right to point out that you reap what you sow.
                                Which is why he's freezing his ass off in Rochester, NY.

Comment

Working...
                                X