No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You need to watch it, man. It's worth it so get utorrent out and start watching.

Failing that HBO currently has the first season on HBO on demand and HBO GO.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Don't forget Oerdin - HBO has the luxury(?) of not having to provide content every 12 months. Breaking Bad took a 16 month hiatus and apparently Mad Men was just off for 17 months.

I'd be more worried about GRRM living to complete the books than HBO finding time to air them.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
        Really don't think it'll be that bad. Season 4 will probably be the last half of 3, with the start of 4/5, and season 5 will be the rest of 4/5.
        Season 4 is the last half of Book 3, but then you have Books 4/5 which combined is the amount pages as Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords (so likely 3 seasons). I can somewhat see were a potential Season 6 and 7 can have very interesting cliffhangers (and Season 7 will be awesome if its the last half of book 5, including the resolution of those plot threads at the end of the book), but Season 5 is going to be a slog to get to them.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
          Don't forget Oerdin - HBO has the luxury(?) of not having to provide content every 12 months. Breaking Bad took a 16 month hiatus and apparently Mad Men was just off for 17 months.

I'd be more worried about GRRM living to complete the books than HBO finding time to air them.
          Tell me about it. He might not get the last two books done for 20 years and he's already in his 60's so he very well may croak before he finishes them. Hell, I'm still mad at that Swedish guy who kicked the bucket and left me hanging on the Millennium series.

Comment

• Basically this is the way I see it:

Book 3 will be Seasons 3 and 4, and then:

(spoilers through Dance with Dragons)
            Spoiler:
            Season 5 will be about Dorne and Cersei's chafing at the Tyrells, probably involving storming Dragonstone and Loras getting messed up, Season 6 will end with Cersei's plan to get rid of Maergery backfiring on her so will likely include all the stuff about the Faith Militant & will also focus on the Iron Islands & the scheming between Euron and Victarion, and Season 7 will include Cersei's "punishment", Jon's death, the discovery of Aegon Targaryen, and Dany getting swept away by Drogon to land at the Khal Jhogo's khalessar. Throughout, we'll have the Tyrion travelogue and Jamie's bitterness as well as Dany trying to rule Mereen. I guess having Dorne in Season 5 will allow us to get more attached to the Martell kid that goes to woo Dany (I forget his name) before he gets barbequed. I assume that Brienne's getting strung up will happen in Season 5 to give them something else in that season - but that means Brienne is gone for 2 seasons. I guess they can throw in the Reek/Theon stuff in Season 5 as well. But this leads to nothing really shocking or amazing happening Season 5 - just moving pieces so Season 6 and 7 are good.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• What if there is only six seasons instead of seven? They'd have to edit out something or at least condense something.

Comment

• To be honest, it's going to be hard. Because in Books 4 and 5 what gets condensed is the POV chapters of the "fan favorites"...

Spoiler:
                Tyrion and Jamie are barely doing anything for one and can you imagine seasons where Peter Dinklage isn't in every episode? And in all that I didn't add in the stuff about Arya, Sansa & Littlefinger, and Bran - I imagine Litterfinger can throw Lysa out the Moon Door at the end of Season 5.

Comment

• I think that they will either need to expand parts, slow things down, have short seasons, or skip some narrative lines.

Or some combination of all of them.

I do want to purchase this set, been on my wish list since before it came out.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• The Season 1 bluray set is phenomenal. The picture (shot fully in digital, perfect transfer), the sound (DTS Master-HD lossless audio), and the extras...

My favourite are the actor-narrated hand-drawn exposition pieces explaining backstory and lore. They also have an in-episode guide which you can use to view a map of the area, the characters on screen and their history, etc.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                      I think that they will either need to expand parts, slow things down, have short seasons, or skip some narrative lines.

Or some combination of all of them.

I do want to purchase this set, been on my wish list since before it came out.

JM
                      The blu-ray is nice... and was $35 at release from Amazon (gone up now, IIRC).

Comment

• Over the past couple weekends, I watched Season 1 bluray on my 70" TV. And it was awesome.

The sound was the most impressive, though. The DD 5.1 on HBO pales in comparison...it's very...plain.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          The blu-ray is nice... and was $35 at release from Amazon (gone up now, IIRC).
                          The amount of extras was impressive. There were more gigs of extras then gigs of actual film.

Comment

• I dont' have a blueray (or a DVD) player at the moment.

I would like a PS3, but probably not this year (I don't own a TV eitheR).

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• What computer do you have? If it's a laptop then it's not worth upgrading until it's time to buy a new one but if it is a desktop then you can buy a blu-ray drive for ~$60 now.

Comment

• I have a MacbookAir.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X