Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ****ing Religious ****ing ****ers!!!

Afghanistan: United Nations mission rocked by mob killings

Death toll unconfirmed after protesters storm Mazar-e-Sharif compound in response to Qur'an burning by US pastor

The United Nations mission in Afghanistan has been thrown into jeopardy after protesters enraged by the burning of the Qur'an by a Christian extremist in the US stormed a UN compound in the north of the country and killed a number of foreign staff members.

Afghan officials in the usually peaceful city of Mazar-e-Sharif gave varying accounts of what happened, with some UN officials saying the death toll could reach 20. Other reports said two UN staff members were beheaded by a mob that managed to break into the heavily defended compound.

Equally unclear were the identities of the victims, with some claiming the UN chief in the city had been killed and others saying he was wounded but survived. One police official said four of the dead were Nepali, probably former Gurkha soldiers now working as security guards, while another three were foreign diplomats.

Even if the total number of victims proves at the lower end, perhaps seven as some police sources have claimed, it will constitute the worst crisis to hit the international organisation since 2001.

Under UN rules officials will have to consider pulling out staff members or shutting down operations all together. After an attack on a UN guesthouse in 2009 killed five staff members, hundreds of workers were temporarily relocated to Dubai while the organisation spent millions closing guesthouses and outfitting a base on the outskirts of Kabul.

Staffan De Mistura, the overall head of all UN activities in the country, flew to Mazar to take stock of the disaster. One senior staff member said there had been "absolutely no discussion" of repositioning staff, but many UN workers feared the incident would mark yet another milestone in the gradual retreat of UN diplomats and aid workers into a world where they only see the inside of fortified compounds and armoured vehicles.

The violence also represents a huge setback for the country as it sets out on an ambitious programme, which many sceptics believe is unachievable, of taking full control of its own security from foreign forces by 2014. Last week Hamid Karzai, the president, announced that the commercial hub of Mazar-e-Sharif would be one of the first areas to be transferred to Afghan control this year.

Yet even in a city that has possibly the best security in the country, police were no match for the sudden outburst of violence, triggered by the activities of a fringe Christian group on the other side of the world, who burned a copy of the Qur'an in Florida on 21 March.

A previous threat by the US pastor Terry Jones last year was prevented after David Petraeus, the commander of Nato troops in Afghanistan, warned that the lives of US soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan would be endangered. Although the burning went ahead with Jones in attendance more than a week ago, it was only on Friday that the matter was the subject of outraged prayers around Afghanistan.

Afterwards thousands of people poured out of Mazar's Blue Mosque after a tub-thumping sermon by the presiding mullah, with one police official estimating that there were 4,000 people on the streets of the city.

The head of the Blue Mosque, Atiqullah Ansari, said only a minority were responsible for the violence, claiming they were the followers of a mullah who served under the Taliban regime.

"They went to the UN compound and killed the foreigners. This is what they wanted," he said.

According to people in the throng some of the demonstrators had guns which they used to attack the building.

The police responded in kind, shooting live rounds into the crowd.

The city's main hospital said it had treated 20 wounded people, most with bullet wounds. Among the four dead bodies in the hospital, one appeared to be a Nepalese national.

Local television pictures showed a mob attacking the guard kiosk of the UN compound, which is surrounded by 12ft-high concrete blast walls.

The surviving UN staff were said to be shellshocked and bewildered at the failings of security that had allowed their compound to be overwhelmed.

Across the country the UN issued a "white city" order, forcing all staff members into a state of lockdown and banning them from leaving their compounds.
    C*nty religious nutters in the US set off c*nty religious nutters in Afghanistan.

Just imagine how much better this world would be without religious people...
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Yes, darn that Martin Luther King, Jr.! Stupid religious people
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I have a dream...

A world with no religious people!

Comment

One of the women killed was my mum's childhood friend...
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

that sucks nikolai
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
            that sucks nikolai
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I heard the news in the car and had a similar reaction to this craziness.
              It's so absurd that people kill completely unrelated people thousands of miles away from a place where something happened.

It has nothing to do with emotional responding to something that happens.
              I can imagine that someone kicks the guy who burns the Quran, after seeing it happening (I would condemn that kick as well, btw.) but this is nothing emotional. It's just cold hearted fanaticism.
              It''s so terrible that people want to kill completely unrelated people to the incident. Why?

Of course I was not so absurd stupid to immediately blame and shame all religious people on this planet. Especially b/c that would be in fact a thought that would be similar to the thinking of the Afghanistan murderers. That doesn't mean that religious people tend to do very very very bad things
              Fortunately more religious people have done more good for humanity so that in the end, even if there is no god at all, religion has done more good then evil.
              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                That must be very terrible, when this kind of craziness becomes that personal.
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                  That must be very terrible, when this kind of craziness becomes that personal.
                  Yeah. Didn't know her really myself, but I have met her once or twice long ago I think. My mum ofc is crushed.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                    That really brings things home. Sorry to hear about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                      I heard the news in the car and had a similar reaction to this craziness.
                      It's so absurd that people kill completely unrelated people thousands of miles away from a place where something happened.

It has nothing to do with emotional responding to something that happens.
                      I can imagine that someone kicks the guy who burns the Quran, after seeing it happening (I would condemn that kick as well, btw.) but this is nothing emotional. It's just cold hearted fanaticism.
                      It''s so terrible that people want to kill completely unrelated people to the incident. Why?

Of course I was not so absurd stupid to immediately blame and shame all religious people on this planet. Especially b/c that would be in fact a thought that would be similar to the thinking of the Afghanistan murderers. That doesn't mean that religious people tend to do very very very bad things
                      I notice how you have conveniently avoided condemning the Christian that started this all by burning the Quran. I can only assume that this is your own blinked religious prejudice in action and is, in itself, a reason why the world would be better off without religious people...

Fortunately more religious people have done more good for humanity so that in the end, even if there is no god at all, religion has done more good then evil.
                      Really!? How can you justify that claim? I would claim that vast amounts of death, wars and suffering down the ages have religion as their direct cause...

Comment

Gurkha security but this still happened means only one thing, they were not properly armed or their rules of engagement were pathetic. I've seen it before.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Animals.

Comment

Pastor Terry Jones: Afghan U.N. Violence 'Proves' My Point
                            In a "Nightline" exclusive, the Koran burning pastor says he's not responsible for violent protest that left 11 dead in Afghanistan.
                            If he knew the outcome would lead to this? I think he is partly responsible.

Comment

Bull****. That one wanker burns a book doesnt absolve the next wanker from killing innocent people.
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                              X