No announcement yet.

I have survived my second annual thinning of the herd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It didn't happen before. I've also developed this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome recently. I wonder if the two are related.

EDIT: I can't eat fresh carrots, celery, bell peppers, or raw nuts any more without feeling like my mouth is on fire and getting very nauseous. It really sucks.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• So you can't eat fruits, nuts or berries? That would suck.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I'm fine with all fuits and berries. The only foods I've ever seen a reaction to are the ones I listed. If the nuts are roasted, or if the other foods are cooked in some way I am generally okay.

It's apparently a relatively common side-effect of pollen allergies (which I've had for ~10 years)
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          So?

Honestly, am I the only one who thinks this is a little off-putting. I mean think about KH always referencing his job and putting in a lot of hours, posting about the IQ's of his compatriots in his department, posting this herd culling thing, posting about how he's the 'rockstar' of his group, even comparing his height with people he works with, etc. Everything is in relation to his co-workers.

It's brought up a lot but maybe no one noticed it all coming together like this? I can't be the only one that thinks this isn't the way a man should define himself, right?

It's pretty standard to invest a lot in the first meaningful employment as an adult. You should try it some time.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
            So you can't eat fruits, nuts or berries? That would suck.
            The way KH answered straight threw me off... You are a sly one, Sloww
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• I read his link. There wasn't too much sly about it.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• I believe slowwie was being straight-up. On the other hand, every time I say "eating nuts" I laugh...
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Acknowledging that there is risk involved, I love nuts. Once I start, I can't stop. I don't care much for sea salt. It isn't salty. They should call it something else. Sea Nothing.
                  I'm also a big fan of fruits and berries. If I could have potatoes too, I could live on them fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                    I believe slowwie was being straight-up. On the other hand, every time I say "eating nuts" I laugh...
                    Guess that it's time for Asher to chime in
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• placeholder in case KH et al actually post any evidence regarding the minimum wage and their claim it destroys job.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                        This is like asking for proof that Betelgeuse exerts gravitational pull.
                        kthxbye
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Repeat after me: unless otherwise proven, demand curves slope down.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• so there is no evidence of jobs actually being destroyed by the introduction of a minmum wage? because i posted an academic study which found that there was zero effect on employment from the introduction of the UK minimum wage...and you have posted nothing.

if it's so obvious, then why is there no evidence...?
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• I don't think you understand why I compared proving the impact of minimum wage on employment with proving that gravity exists on the surface of Betelgeuse, but thanks for playing.

There are a range of econometric studies in the literature which show everything from very little impact of minimum wage on levels of employment up to those with moderate elasticities of demand (~0.3 at the high end IIRC). None of them is worth the paper they are written on, because all of them are extraordinarily dependent on the methodology used to disaggregate the effects of minimum wage laws from the confounding variables.

Do a quick google search, read the studies (I've read at least half a dozen on this exact topic previously), despair for the empirical foundation of economics in analyzing the effect of small changes.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• yeah i mean i'm not prepared to take your word for it. i guess you didn't understand when i asked you to provide some evidence to support your position, but thanks for playing.

Comment

Working...
                                X