No announcement yet.

Die iPad, Die Die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, increasingly popular here too but using it on my phone I've found that often you need to need to get a sign in or whatever, like Starbucks you need a login card thing, or if you don't then clearly the security is slightly suspect, Wi-Fi jacking is not an insignificant risk.

The most common problem is it's much slower than the HSPDA connection anyway.

It's a bit more effort and hassle. I just have the Wi-Fi set to be off now, unless I'm at home. Not sure that'd be any different with a tab. Downside is you need some kind of data contract.

But I'm still of the opinion that they are too much money for something with highly limited utility for me.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

And, whilst a lot of coffee shops have wi-fi, pubs don't.

Beer >>>>>> Coffee.
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
        Or it's only really for @Home?
        I can't think of any place I'd use it without WiFi. If I REALLY need 3G somewhere where there's no WiFi, I can tether with the phone via WiFi hotspots.

But home has wifi, work has wifi, airports have wifi, airplanes have wifi...

Don't see a reason at all to pay for a 3G/4G plan on a tablet that never needs to use 3G/4G.

And I'd definitely never bring a tablet to a pub. I go to a pub to drink, which means carrying an expensive, fragile tablet with me is not that wise.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You never know when you might suddenly need to enter a pub.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

I guess what it comes down to is that I already have a device that does everything a tab does, except it has a smaller screen.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
              And, whilst a lot of coffee shops have wi-fi, pubs don't.

Beer >>>>>> Coffee.
              I lot of pubs (the 'nice' places, not the 'towny' places) have WiFi in the US.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

That's why I view a tablet as an extension. It won't replace my smartphone (which I will be upgrading this summer as well). It's for more leisurely internet browsing at home mostly. I don't intend to take it with me. When I leave, portability is a bigger issue -- which is why there are smartphones.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Still a lot of money for something of such limited utility though.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

If Tablets could play WOW (can the new one do so?) I would consider forgetting about getting a laptop and get a cheap Tablet instead. I just need something that is easier to work on then a phone, that I can do presentations on, and that I can play WOW/etc on (during trips).

JM
                    (The Tablets are better for lazing around the house then phones or netbooks though)
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Cheaper than a new laptop.

Comment

The iPad has iWork, which is decent, what does the Android tablets have?

How does note taking software compare?

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                          The iPad has iWork, which is decent, what does the Android tablets have?
                          Google Docs

How does note taking software compare?

JM
                          Not sure.

If you're looking for existing apps, the iPad will have way more currently. Android tablets are just too new.

iWork on iOS devices is pretty limiting. I don't think they do anything Google Docs doesn't.

Comment

I have a couple of different note taking apps on my Android phone, both of which do plenty. Not sure what you need out of one really.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Probably more about personal preference.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Google Docs has decent presentation software?

Seems to be lacking in mathematical formula/etc possibilities. I would have to play with it a bit more, but I think it isn't satisfactory. I haven't used Keynote in iOS.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X