Die iPad, Die Die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    What the ****, dude? You have like a compulsion to buy gadgets.
    It's part of why I'm good at what I do. I know **** because I play with everything.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

That post is so wide open .............

Comment

Yep.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

When you have money you can buy stuff, prole.
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Another nice thing about avoiding the iOS is VLC. Apple yoinked VLC from the iOS store and it's not going to return. Even if it did, it couldn't fully use the video capabilities to support "h264 high" profile, just the basic (like iOS by default). Since I've got zero crappy "h264 basic" videos and terabytes of "h264 high" videos, this is a problem for me.

The Android 3 tablets so far are all based on Nvidia's Tegra 2 chip. It has full HW accelerated h263/h264/WMV/VP8 encoding and decoding support, up through 1080p and including the advanced profiles. Ridiculous. The Tegra 2 can apparently decode 1080 h264 high streams at ~20Mbps and only consume 20 mW of power. That's how you get >10h of video, even if it's complex and 1080p.

VLC for Android is due next month.

Comment

See, when you have a job they pay you for your work and then you have money to spend.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Only bad thing about this latest bunch of announcements is that originally it was going to be using Vanilla Honeycomb, but now they are adding the Samsung layer on top of it. Which is the only bad thing about my Samsung Galaxy S phone. Amazing phone, superior to a iPhone 4, but the Samsung layer sometimes seems to cause hangs you don't get on standard Android 2.2 phones.

Would have to be 3G/4G for me to consider getting a tablet though. For use on the move. And we don't know how much those are yet.

Still looks like the best Pad coming out, and maybe the camera won't be as crappy as the iPad.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                  When you have money you can buy stuff, prole.
                  buying stuff is very overrated.
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                      Only bad thing about this latest bunch of announcements is that originally it was going to be using Vanilla Honeycomb, but now they are adding the Samsung layer on top of it. Which is the only bad thing about my Samsung Galaxy S phone. Amazing phone, superior to a iPhone 4, but the Samsung layer sometimes seems to cause hangs you don't get on standard Android 2.2 phones.

Would have to be 3G/4G for me to consider getting a tablet though. For use on the move. And we don't know how much those are yet.

Still looks like the best Pad coming out, and maybe the camera won't be as crappy as the iPad.
                      Isn't it possible to remove the extra UIs? I'd read it was.

It should be possible to root and reimage the device like most Android devices anyway.

Comment

Yes.

Only reason not to do that on my phone is it breaks my phone company contract. (and it's not bad enough to require it).
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

I'll be buying a Wifi Tab, so contracts ain't no thang.

Comment

I am not sure I understand paying $500 for a mobile device that's crippled by only being useful when you are around Wi-Fi. Or is it just because NA 3G is so crap?
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Or it's only really for @Home?
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                                I am not sure I understand paying $500 for a mobile device that's crippled by only being useful when you are around Wi-Fi. Or is it just because NA 3G is so crap?
                                In the US at least, most coffee shops (which are everywhere) and many other shops have WiFi. Often free.

Most places I would have wanted to use one had WiFi (same with a laptop). Exceptions are if you are lost/etc, but then use a phone.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X