Tax Religious Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there's no profit, what can you tax?
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
      What do you mean by "enrichment"? On the one hand there are cases of obvious abuse where mega-church pastors funnel millions into their own pockets from gullible donors.
      That's what I'm talking about.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
        I figure a forensic accountant can tell us what were legitimate expenses for the "non-profit" and what were fraudulent expenses meant only to enrich the ones in charge of the "non-profit". The fraudulent expenses would be treated as income and taxed.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
          We're losing the big ones.

The muslims are doing well though.

Along with non-religious they are probably the fastest (and only) growing group.
          wrong
          http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldrel.htm

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Wiki disagrees with you Jon but I'll leave it at that.

Age and religion

According to the 2001 census, the major religions in Canada have the following median age. Canada has a median age of 37.3.[45]

* Presbyterian 46.1
            * United Church 44.1
            * Anglican 43.8
            * Lutheran 43.3
            * Jewish 41.5
            * Greek Orthodox 40.7
            * Baptist 39.3
            * Buddhist 38.0
            * Roman Catholic 37.8
            * Pentecostal 33.5
            * No Religion 31.9
            * Hindu 30.2
            * Sikh 29.7
            * Muslim 28.1

Every major religion in the country is above the median. They're aging and dying off.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Though it appears (at least from 1991), Catholics have grown, and they are 43% of religious belief in Canada (and Catholics are barely above the median, FWIW).
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                Wiki disagrees with you Jon but I'll leave it at that.

Age and religion

According to the 2001 census, the major religions in Canada have the following median age. Canada has a median age of 37.3.[45]

* Presbyterian 46.1
                * United Church 44.1
                * Anglican 43.8
                * Lutheran 43.3
                * Jewish 41.5
                * Greek Orthodox 40.7
                * Baptist 39.3
                * Buddhist 38.0
                * Roman Catholic 37.8
                * Pentecostal 33.5
                * No Religion 31.9
                * Hindu 30.2
                * Sikh 29.7
                * Muslim 28.1

Every major religion in the country is above the median. They're aging and dying off.

It could not have anything to do with young people identifying as non religious and then changing their minds later in life, could it?
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                  It could not have anything to do with young people identifying as non religious and then changing their minds later in life, could it?
                  It could, although the religious indoctrination process generally works the other way.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                    Though it appears (at least from 1991), Catholics have grown, and they are 43% of religious belief in Canada (and Catholics are barely above the median, FWIW).
                    Yes, I agree. I'm wondering if immigration can account for that (as I'm sure it does for Islam, Sikh, Hindu) because "home grown" doesn't.

Comment

What are the Canadian immigration patterns? Are there many immigrants from Catholic countries (like, say, Latin America)?
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                        Religious beliefs are more focused in the very old and very young... the young kids because they usually aren't given a choice, and have it crammed down their throats by their parents... and the very old... the ones who see death as something not far away, and start thinking about what comes after.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Imran -

Again, I don't know. I took a brief look for stats on immigration/religion but came up empty.

I'm sure they are out there and I'd be curious to see non-biased numbers (I have little "faith" in religious groups claims).

Canadian immigration numbers show immigrants from diverse parts of the world but country of origin is not in itself good evidence as often religious minorities are the ones immigrating/emigrating.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                            You can stop providing tax deductions to individuals who donate to nonprofits.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yep.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I would probably be OK with that.

Sorry Wezil, I assumed you were talking about the world and not just your own country. My mistake.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X