No announcement yet.

Tax Religious Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you consider a "Charity"? The ACLU is a non profit organization and thus is not taxed (and before you start saying I'm bashing the ACLU, I am a card carrying member).
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It seems like the ACLU has spent more money begging Kuciwalker for additional donations than he provided in donations
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
        Except that they are already charities. Which should be taxed.
        Tax charity
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
          Yes, taxing charities seems kind of unproductive, unless you assume that the government could provide the same service cheaper or better.
          But religion's functions are not 100% charities so they shouldn't be 100% tax free.
          There is no way you would ever get the religious to agree to a % that is pure charity. To their mind the whole thing is charity. We've had this debate here before.

I say tax them like any other business and avoid the argument.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, you're probably right, but maybe you could charge property tax only or something like that.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It's a very strange business that accepts donations but doesn't require payment for the vast majority of services rendered...
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Rah - Property taxes on organised religion would generate huge $$.

Elok - I will grant you it is a very strange business. The essentials are there though - concern with market share and desire for as much $$ as possible.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

The worst is that sometimes it's not donations but Tithes.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

How do you distinguish the two?
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Isn't a tithe just another word for a voluntary donation?

There's no legal obligation is there?

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                        Yes, taxing charities seems kind of unproductive, unless you assume that the government could provide the same service cheaper or better.
                        But religion's functions are not 100% charities so they shouldn't be 100% tax free.
                        So tax their profits, like any other business.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                          Elok - I will grant you it is a very strange business. The essentials are there though - concern with market share and desire for as much $$ as possible.
                          Er, not all religions are concerned with "market share." Some, like some types of Judaism, don't proselytize much at all. And even the phrase "market share" is something of a distortion. Are political parties businesses? Labor unions? Groups like the Lions, or the Shriners, or those Freemason folks? How many organizations do NOT seek to enlarge their membership?

Saying they all desire as much money as possible sounds like you're simply positing an improper motive because you don't like religion, and painting with extremely broad strokes again as well.
                          1011 1100

Comment

Or it could be the difference between an "insider" and "outsider".

Comment

I make no bones about not liking religion. I've yet to see one that makes any kind of sense but I see many that exploit.

Fortunately religion is an increasingly hard sell in this country. I'm glad I don't live amongst fundies (of all stripes).

Comment

My church is doing a really bad job of maximizing profit. The priest keeps urging us to give money to other causes.
                                1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                                X