No announcement yet.

Tax Religious Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just as an aside, I was treasurer at my chuch years ago, and they do pay payroll taxes.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
      My church is doing a really bad job of maximizing profit. The priest keeps urging us to give money to other causes.
      Shh...you'll give it away.

Comment

I bet they managed to squirrel a little away for some property of their own.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

That only works for commercial properties, and they are already taxed normally.

Comment

I doubt Elok attends services under a tent. I mentioned to Rah that property taxes would be a good way to go as that is one thing most in this industry have in common.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Property taxes are strictly local.

Do you want to be the local government that pushes to tax the local church?

Comment

Not in the US. Hell no. They'd probably burn you at the stake.

It's a moot point here. Most churches are watching their elderly congregations die off before selling the property to pay outstanding legal settlements.

Comment

x-you'd:

More to the point, do you want to be the local government that seizes the local church for an inability to pay the tax?

Comment

I do.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I'd love to live in a former church.

Comment

...and yeah, die-off is killing a lot of the smaller ones.

Comment

Converted churches are out there.

Comment

We're losing the big ones.

The muslims are doing well though.

Along with non-religious they are probably the fastest (and only) growing group.

Comment

The real key is to separate the profit making scams of churches vs. the real thing. Plenty of non-profits result in the enrichment of the people who run them. Those should have their non-profit status revoked and the organizations and people who run them taxed accordingly.
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                                Plenty of non-profits result in the enrichment of the people who run them. Those should have their non-profit status revoked and the organizations and people who run them taxed accordingly.
                                What do you mean by "enrichment"? On the one hand there are cases of obvious abuse where mega-church pastors funnel millions into their own pockets from gullible donors. However, the top executives at large legitimate non-profits draw large salaries, but they would draw equal or larger salaries at for-profit organizations of the same size, and their salaries are taxed.
                                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                                X