Wisconsin Takes A Stand For Fiscal Sanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin Takes A Stand For Fiscal Sanity

State Employee Unions - you know, Teacher Unions - are absolutely worthless, providing benefits far out of line to actual value given, with no measure of accountability for performance. Thankfully, Governer Walker and the GOP in Wisconsin are doing something about it.

Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions
    StoryDiscussionImage (5)Font Sizeefault font sizeLarger font sizeWalker takes broad swipe at public employee unions
    CLAY BARBOUR and MARY SPICUZZA | Wisconsin State Journal madison.com | (761) Comments | Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:00 am

Gov. Scott Walker, flanked by Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch and Republican legislators, unveils the details Friday of his budget repair bill. The controversial proposal is being called an attack on organized labor in Wisconsin.
    M.P. KING – State Journal .
    Loading… .
    (2) More Photos
    ..Related Stories
    Related: Highlights of Gov. Walker's budget repair bill
    Related: Cieslewicz, Falk lash out at Walker over collective bargaining bill
    Related: Walker proposes selling state-owned heating plants
    Related: Statements by area political candidates on Walker's move against public unions
    Related Documents
    Related: Read Walker's collective bargaining bill
    More from this section
    School officials: Anticipated education cuts could be 'devastating'
    Conservative Bruskewitz battling county's long, liberal voting history
    Both mayoral candidates see positives from primary results
    Madison schools, others closed amid call for demonstrations
    ALRC votes to extend law limiting bars downtown, discusses changes that would loosen law
    More...
    Saying those who didn't see it coming must have been in a "coma," Gov. Scott Walker unveiled sweeping legislation that would severely curtail public employee rights and dramatically change the way Wisconsin negotiates with unions going forward.

Officials alerted the Wisconsin State Employees Union on Friday that expired collective bargaining agreements would be canceled March 13. State unions have been operating under the terms of their previous contracts, an arrangement that can be terminated with 30 days notice.

The news came on the same day the governor unveiled a budget repair bill that would remove nearly all collective bargaining rights for nearly all public employees in the state and make it easier for employers to fire workers that engage in some form of labor unrest.

To union leaders, and many Democratic lawmakers, the governor's moves represent an all-out effort to end the influence of organized labor in Wisconsin.

WSEU executive director Marty Beil, whose union represents about 22,000 state employees, did not return calls Friday. But AFT-Wisconsin President Bryan Kennedy said Walker's move is part of a nationwide effort to kill labor unions.

"It is a power grab, a coordinated effort to kill the union here," said Kennedy, whose organization represents 17,000 state employees. "This is essentially the governor saying, 'Sit down, shut up and do what you are told.'"

Walker said Friday his proposals were necessary to help the state overcome the $137 million hole in the current budget, and eventually help the state make up the $3.6 billion shortfall projected for the next biennial budget.

No more collective bargaining

Perhaps the most controversial aspect of Walker's repair bill deals with collective bargaining. The governor wants to remove those rights for most of the 175,000 state and local employees in Wisconsin, allowing workers to negotiate only over salary.

However, Walker exempted most law enforcement and firefighters from the change in collective bargaining. The governor said he could not risk public safety by potential strikes from law enforcement.

But the governor said he was prepared, should other state workers strike in protest. Walker has already talked with the National Guard about possibly filling in with the Department of Corrections if employees there attempt a work stoppage.

By ending state employees' ability to negotiate for their pensions and insurance rates, the governor will be able to increase employee pension contributions to 5.8 percent of salary and more than double their health insurance contributions.

Currently most state employees pay nothing toward their pensions and only a modest amount for their insurance. Walker said those increases alone would save the state $30 million this fiscal year and ten times that much going forward. He also said the change would allow him to avoid employee furloughs and layoffs. Walker said he would likely have had to fire 1,500 people and cut about 200,000 children off Medicaid to make up the difference.

He said those numbers get even worse going forward, perhaps costing more than 5,500 people their jobs in the next biennial budget.

Union busting?

Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, was shocked by the proposal. He said the governor seems to be "union-busting."

"State employees have the right to negotiate in good faith with the state. Without a willingness to even discuss what concessions need to be made with state employees, the governor comes across more like a dictator and less like a leader," Risser said.

Risser said he hopes Walker will meet with union leaders, instead of unilaterally imposing these measures. But the governor said Friday that he did not have 15 months to negotiate these issues with the union, the amount of time it typically takes for the state and its unions to agree on contracts.

Both Democratic and Republican lawmakers said Friday they expected Walker's bill will move quickly through the Legislature, perhaps being passed as early as next week. Republicans control the Assembly 60-38-1 and the Senate 19-14.

Future unclear

Union leaders on Friday were not sure of their next move. Collective bargaining powers are conferred on state employees by the state Legislature and can be taken away.

Paul Secunda, an associate professor at Marquette University Law School, said unions representing public workers could file lawsuits arguing their benefits were earned through past work, known as "vested benefits," and accuse the Walker administration of reneging on contractual agreements.

"That legal challenge is going on in some other states where they've tried to cut back," he said.

Secunda said unions may also argue there is a "constitutional right to collectively bargain," and that the government is interfering with those rights.

Walker said he's consulted with attorneys and, while he expects unions to sue, he feels confident the state would prevail.

"There's absolutely no grounds for it," Walker said of labor lawsuits. "As long as we're not terminating an existing contract, which we aren't."

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

And the thing is, there is no union busting going on here. Wisconsin is just looking to force public sector workers (many of whom, especially the teachers, grossly underperform their actual job responsibilities with minimal accountability) to pay a little bit more, which will still wind up being a little bit less than private sector workers. Oh, and also they lose a lot of their collective bargaining ability. Boohoo. It's not like these are private sector workers, these are government employees - they work for the people of Wisconsin, not for a Big Bad Corporation. **** 'em. They should be doing a better job anyway.
      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

As a Wisconsinite, let me just say that this man is a douche.

I have no problem with what he wants regarding health insurance. In truth, it won't effect me. I don't carry the insurance offered by our union contract. I use my wife's, and she isn't in a union.

Again, I don't have a problem with what he wants regarding my pension. My pension is simply extra money I'll have when I retire. The majority of my retirement income will come from my real estate.

What I do have a problem with, is what he wants with the CBA. Think of like a school yard bully. The only way the other kids can stand up to the school yard bully is by banding together. Walker is trying to make it so the kids can't band together.
        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

If it's a stand for fiscal sanity why are the unions that didn't contribute to the Gov's campaign being targeted? This isn't about fiscal sanity in the least. It's a ****ing dog and pony show.

It's similar to the people who want to eliminate the National Endowment for the Arts under the pretense of fiscal responsibility while all manner of inane and vastly more expensive **** gets a pass.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

So you're saying that in a budget crisis, it's fundamentally fair that unions, and especially public sector unions, retain special privileges and lower costs? Do you think it's fundamentally fair that they do so, while at the same time continue to not be held accountable for their lack of performance (ie, teachers)?

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd View Post
              So you're saying that in a budget crisis, it's fundamentally fair that unions, and especially public sector unions, retain special privileges and lower costs? Do you think it's fundamentally fair that they do so, while at the same time continue to not be held accountable for their lack of performance (ie, teachers)?
              Yes. I may not agree with what they want but it is fundamentally their right to do so and the obvious uneven way in which the unions are targeted by the Gov. makes me more sympathetic to teachers, et al.

Also, if the governor doesn't like it then he can lock out the teachers. It's his prerogative.
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I assume that by the "obvious uneven way" the unions are being targeted, you are referring to the fact that public safety workers such as police officers and firefighters are exempt? Gee, good luck getting traction with the argument that exempting public safety workers (who by the way tend to perform far better than other civil service employees) is a bad thing.

Comment

I'm of the belief all public service workers should be deemed essential (no strike). Otherwise they shouldn't be on the public payroll.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

That's another good point, Wezil. Public service workers are protected by Civil Service Law (which is mainly the reason it's ****ing impossible to fire them), which is greater protection than private sector workers receive. And oh by the way, Gov. Walker has consistently supported EXPANDING Civil Service Law.

Comment

That's another good point, Wezil. Public service workers are protected by Civil Service Law (which is mainly the reason it's ****ing impossible to fire them), which is greater protection than private sector workers receive. And oh by the way, Gov. Walker has consistently supported EXPANDING Civil Service Law.
                      So you're mad because public sector and private sector workers have different benefits and drawbacks based on what some public sector workers have legally been able to do in regards to unionization and CBAs

I mean, if being in the public sector is so good, why aren't you doing it? or if being in the private sector is os bad, why are you still in it?

Comment

I prefer to earn my pay and sleep well at night.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I'm not mad at public sector workers for availing themselves of the law. If anything, I'm mad at the lawmakers for passing the law in the first place, and Gov. Walker and the Wisconsin GOP are simply correcting the problem. And come on, we both know that public service workers are essentially employed for life, virtually regardless of performance. To get fired, they would literally have to have a threesome with a kangaroo and a retarded 4 year old in front of 27 eye witnesses, CCTV, the Pope, and all 9 SCOTUS Justices. And that's not even the protection we're talking about eliminating here. We're simply talking about eliminating CBA, as well as forcing them to pay costs much more in line with what everyone else pays, although still less.

Comment

Government is a monopoly and when government workers strike the public has no alternative (competitor) to turn to. It provides undue leverage to the union that simply does not exist for unions in the private sector. Negotiations are never on a level playing field.
                            Last edited by Wezil; February 17, 2011, 15:31.

Comment

I'm not mad at public sector workers for availing themselves of the law. If anything, I'm mad at the lawmakers for passing the law in the first place, and Gov. Walker and the Wisconsin GOP are simply correcting the problem. And come on, we both know that public service workers are essentially employed for life, virtually regardless of performance. To get fired, they would literally have to have a threesome with a kangaroo and a retarded 4 year old in front of 27 eye witnesses, CCTV, the Pope, and all 9 SCOTUS Justices. And that's not even the protection we're talking about eliminating here. We're simply talking about eliminating CBA, as well as forcing them to pay costs much more in line with what everyone else pays, although still less.
                              So you have a misconception about how good public workers have it all based on a misconception of how easy it is to fire someone?

If you want to eliminate the CBA, go for it. If you want them to pay more in line with the median in terms of costs, then you just better hope that popular support isn't on their side, and the government knows what they're doing. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X