Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christina Aguilera sure knows the National Anthem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black eyed beans suc IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      If you're being real, whatever.

If you're mocking me for questioning a.kitman's appraisal of the 'improvement' of the group, I'm referring to those songs that he specifically cited. Where is the Love is sappy and dull with boring platitudes. I'm referring to that song specifically, not the entire Fergie-era BEP catalogue.
      They are, however, an improvement WRT the objective of racking up sales by making their music more 'popular' (or 'sellable' or whatever you want to call it).

Also, say whatever you want, but BEP is definitely NOT a pure Rap group. And they basically became 'mainstream' when they switched to making more 'mainstream' music (or will you argue that Dance/Pop is not more popular than Rap?).
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
        They are, however, an improvement WRT the objective of racking up sales by making their music more 'popular' (or 'sellable' or whatever you want to call it).

Also, say whatever you want, but BEP is definitely NOT a pure Rap group. And they basically became 'mainstream' when they switched to making more 'mainstream' music (or will you argue that Dance/Pop is not more popular than Rap?).
        Did their music really change or did the characterization of their music change? Like I said, Little Richard or Chuck Berry did a song and it was on the R&B charts; Elvis sings the same song and it was on the Rock charts.

BEP consists of 3 rappers and a singer. The rappers rap. Therefore, they are a rap group and always have been.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Fergie is an amazon...
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            Did their music really change or did the characterization of their music change? Like I said, Little Richard or Chuck Berry did a song and it was on the R&B charts; Elvis sings the same song and it was on the Rock charts.

BEP consists of 3 rappers and a singer. The rappers rap. Therefore, they are a rap group and always have been.
            Seriously?
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

What the hell?

A group of rappers... they rap. Yes, Will.I.Am sings occasionally but he mostly raps. Apl raps. Taboo raps. Rhyming poetry spoken over music. Do they sing? For the most part, no. Do they play instruments? No unless you consider a turntable and/or synth, midi controller, and other music production tools instruments. What do they do? They rap. It doesn't matter what that music is, it's still rap.

Ghostface Killah rapped over a Delfonics song. Not a sample. The actual song. Is Ghostface Killah's music soul music now? No.

Do not confuse Hip Hop as a style of music with rap which is an act. Just like singing is an act that is utilized in many different types of music.

That's like saying that what Smokey Robinson does and what the guy from Lead Zeppelin does are not both singing because their music is different. It's still singing regardless.

Of course, genres are arbitrary and good acts obviously cross genres. However, that just means that BEP isn't a pure hip hop group. They still are rappers, though. Even Fergie raps (very badly at that).

As an amusing aside, to those who are aware of the existence of BEP (like Imran), did you know the names of the members of the group besides Fergie and maybe Will.i.am?
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Everything changed in 2003, when the band, then consisting of MCs apl.de.ap and Taboo and will.i.am, hired singer Stacy "Fergie" Ferguson and made a conscious decision to pursue commercial success.
                The band began working on a third LP in 2001, but things didn't come together until Fergie came on board in 2003. Along with the new, blond singer, the band adopted a more pop-friendly approach, from its guest list and fashion sense to its lyrical content.
                Not that Rolling Stone knows anything about music.
                Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Exactly. Replace the Black woman (who Rolling Stone magazine oddly made no mention of) with a white one and voila! Pop success!

Note how the article noted "blond singer". Exactly.

Comment

There is no "a" in Led Zeppelin. Never was, presumptively never will be.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

So much context was lost due to poor communication because of that typo. It all makes more sense now, I am confident I can get to sleep tonight without wondering what the hell AlB meant by that comment.

Thank you Elok for being a grammEr Nazi, you make my life much more enjoyable.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Getting the name of a band right isn't grammar (or grammer), dingus. It's just correct spelling. And we've laughed at him about it enough times that he ought to have caught on by now.
                        1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                          Black eyed beans suc IMHO
                          Elok, why didn't you catch this or say something about this?

Comment

It is important to know that there is no "a" in Lead Zeppelin.

Beans was spelt correctly.

Comment

1. Didn't notice it
                              2. Don't care about the crappy pop/rap/dance/whatever group anyway
                              3. DFG hasn't had the band's named yelled at him several dozen times on this forum
                              4. He certainly wasn't corrected once already in this very thread
                              1011 1100

Comment

I thought it was Lead as in the metal which would make a Zeppelin made out of lead impossible since it's so heavy. Instead, it's led like the past tense of lead? That makes less sense but rock band names often make no sense anyway. Or is it just a stylistic spelling of lead?

Comment

Working...
                                X