Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christina Aguilera sure knows the National Anthem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I said it tongue in cheek before but the more I think about it (and it's corroborated by the WSJ article), the fact that Fergie is white probably has everything to do with the sudden success of BEP.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

its pretty clear they changed there music quite alot. they changed to music that sells better and imho they also improved. haveing a hot white chick is a bonus but it doesnt have much to do whit there succes.

Comment

Wow, the BEP are taking some...lumps...in this thread. But what kind of lumps?
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by a.kitman View Post
            its pretty clear they changed there music quite alot. they changed to music that sells better and imho they also improved. haveing a hot white chick is a bonus but it doesnt have much to do whit there succes.
            I disagree. I don't think they changed their music much. Will.I.Am, apl., and Taboo are still rapping the same as they always did. A lot of people do think they changed a lot but these are former fans who would say the change was purely for the worse.

If you really think that Where's the Love is a better song than Joints & Jams artistically, I don't know what to think of your musical tastes. You're weird, I guess.

Here's a relevant SNL skit, by the way:

"I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              I disagree. I don't think they changed their music much. Will.I.Am, apl., and Taboo are still rapping the same as they always did.
              Black Eyed Peas aren't mainstream because of the rapping. They're mainstream despite it.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The real difference is they basically became 'corporate whores' and that skyrocketed them into the mainstream but that would not have been possible without the replacing of the Black woman with a white one

Comment

That band sucks and if you like them you are stupid.

That's right, YOUR OPINION IS WRONG.
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    Black Eyed Peas aren't mainstream because of the rapping. They're mainstream despite it.
                    I don't know whether this is an intelligent comment about the pop-appeal of their style of rap or if you're just being your usual rap sucks self?

If it's the latter, the success of Eminem speaks volumes as to why you're wrong, not to mention the success of everyone from Snoop Dogg to Puff Daddy, 2pac to Jay-Z.

If it's the former, that is possible. Their style of rap is more reminiscent of A Tribe Called Quest or De La Soul, however, those groups were pretty mainstream in their day and guys like Kanye West and Common have taken up that mantle with a lot of pop appeal so I wouldn't say that style intrinsically lacks mainstream appeal.

Comment

Rap is only good if you're okay with something that has as much musical creativity as a toddler banging pots and pans and a guy screaming in your ear about how he beats and rapes black women.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                        That band sucks and if you like them you are stupid.

That's right, YOUR OPINION IS WRONG.
                        If you're being real, whatever.

If you're mocking me for questioning a.kitman's appraisal of the 'improvement' of the group, I'm referring to those songs that he specifically cited. Where is the Love is sappy and dull with boring platitudes. I'm referring to that song specifically, not the entire Fergie-era BEP catalogue.

Comment

Rap is only good if you're okay with something that has as much musical creativity as a toddler banging pots and pans and a guy screaming in your ear about how he beats and rapes black women.
                          What the ****?

Find me a rap single created (by someone who isn't a ****** [ie- Immortal Technique]) in the past decade that features lyrics about beating and raping a woman. Do it. Seriously. I'm tired of these bull**** myths.

Comment

How about one that objectifies women or is entirely about having casual sex with women without any regard to them as something other than a piece of property?

That's close enough in my opinion.

Also you haven't even tried to debate the point about it being like a toddler banging on pots

Comment

How about one that objectifies women or is entirely about having casual sex with women without any regard to them as something other than a piece of property?

That's close enough in my opinion.

Also you haven't even tried to debate the point about it being like a toddler banging on pots
                              Let's be generous and say that 5% of rap songs involve that. 5% of rock songs probably involve suicide or satanism, so all rock is is talking about killing yourself or devil worshipping?

And you call this a debate? You're a ******.

Comment

So 2pac made a song like Keep Ya Head Up which literally is the opposite of a song demeaning women (Not to mention other songs in a similar vein like Dear Mama, Brenda's Got a Baby, Never Call You ***** Again, Baby Don't Cry, etc.)... how does that fit into your spoon-fed view of an entire genre of music?

I swear the stuff people on here say... I really swear you have never actually heard any rap songs in your life. If you had, you wouldn't be saying such blatant lies.

Comment

Working...
                                X