X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Philly abortion doc charged with eight counts of murder

DA: W. Phila abortion doc killed woman, 7 infants

Inquirer Staff Report
    An abortion doctor has been arrested and charged with the murder of a patient and seven live infants whose spines were severed with scissors at a West Philadelphia clinic that has been described as a house of horrors, officials said today.

District Attorney Seth Williams said the doctor, Kermit P. Gosnell, was charged following a grand jury investigation.

Gosnell, 69, lost his medical license last year after health officials determined his clinic posed "a clear danger to the public."

Gosnell was arrested this morning, officials said. He has maintained his innocence.

The seven infants were born alive in the 6th, 7th and 8th months of pregnancy and killed by severing their spinal cords with scissors, William said.

Gosnell is charged with third-degree murder in the death of Karnamaya Mongar, 41, who died Nov. 20, 2009, after receiving an overdose of anesthetics prescribed by the physician,

Gosnell's wife and eight employees of his clinic also have been arrested.

A search of Gosnell's Women's Medical Society in West Philadelphia in March revealed that bags and bottles holding aborted fetuses were scattered throughout the building, William said,

The doctor himself was seldom present and in his absence, untrained, unsupervised workers, including a teenage girl, routinely injected dangerous sedatives into women undergoing illegal late-term abortions, Williams said.

Law enforcement officers discovered the abuses while investigating tips that the doctor had been illegally selling thousands of prescriptions for OxyContin and other narcotics.

"I am aware that abortion is a hot-button topic," Williams said. "But as district attorney, my job is to carry out the law. A doctor who knowingly and systematically mistreats female patients, to the point that one of them dies in his so-called care, commits murder under the law."

"A doctor who cuts into the necks severing the spinal cords of living, breathing babies, who would survive with proper medical attention, is committing murder under the law," the DA said.

Also charged were:

Lynda Williams, 42, of Wilmington. Third-degree murder in death of the patient and murder in the death of live infant.

Sherry West, 51, of Newark, Del. Third-degree murder in the death of the patient, performing illegal abortions, conspiracy, racketeering, tampering with records, hindering prosecution, obstructing administration of law and other related offenses.

Adrienne Moton, 33, of Upper Darby, Pa. Murder for the death of a live infant, conspiracy and racketeering.

Steven Massof, 48, of Pittsburgh. Murder for the deaths of two viable babies born alive, conspiracy, theft by deception, racketeering and other related charges.

Elizabeth Hampton, 51, of the 5000 block of Arch Street, Philadelphia. Gosnell's sister-in-law, she is charged with obstruction, hindering prosecution and perjury,

Eileen O'Neill, 54, of Phoenixville. A medical school graduate who worked as doctor at the clinic without a license or certification, she is charged with theft by deception, conspiracy, racketeering and perjury.

Tina Baldwin, of South 63rd Street, Philadelphia. An unlicensed worker, she is charged with racketeering, conspiracy, and corruption of a minor fir allegedly allowing her 15-year-old daughter to administer anesthesia to patients.

Pearl Gosnell, 49, of Philadelphia. Gosnell's wife, she is charged with performing abortion at 24 or more weeks, conspiracy and other related offenses.

Maddline Joe, 53, of the 800 block of Atwood Road, Philadelphia. The office manager she is charged with conspiracy.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Horrible. But still, nothing on Shipman...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Philly
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Abortion doctors
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Just disgusting.... so horrible....
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I was thinking of posting something snarky, but instead I'll just

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
            Abortion doctors
            +1
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Abortion doctors
              Authoritarian nannystate supporters
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

People that do bad things to other people
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

No need to rag on Christians.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    Authoritarian nannystate supporters
                    Nannies for children

Legalizing child murder
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Nannies for children

Legalizing child murder
                      American Biology Lessons.

Having big government making decisions for private citizens based on religious philosophy.

Comment

Watch this news report. It's crazy to think that these conditions could be in the US:

Police found out about it because of a drug raid, of all things.

Asher, I think this is a case of there NOT being a nannystate!

Prosecutors called the case a "complete regulatory collapse." "Pennsylvania is not a Third World country," the district attorney's office declared in the report. "There were several oversight agencies that stumbled upon and should have shut down Kermit Gosnell long ago."
                        Prosecutors said Gosnell made millions of dollars over three decades performing thousands of dangerous abortions, many of them illegal late-term procedures. His clinic had no trained nurses or medical staff other than Gosnell, a family physician not certified in obstetrics or gynecology, prosecutors said.
                        He was operating for over 3 decades! His clinic hadn't been inspected in 17 years!
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

"There's more oversight for women's hair salons than for abortion clinics in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania" - District Attorney Williams.

Comment

It's amazing how some parts of the U.S. are practically third world

Comment

Are late-term abortions illegal in Pennsylvania? That would explain why women are putting up with such treatment

Comment

Working...
                              X