X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

din0saur

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
      dat reminds me of the joke (witch i will post so u can c how awful it is)..

Y do da poly boys need so many bathro0ms? ...

... So hitler wont no witch shower 2 ho0k da gas 2
      ... horrible but
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

This thread isn't really interesting enough to revisit, Hera.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

You revisited it, hypocrite.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Thanks for your contribution. Sadly, you missed the point as usual.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

DaShi is my full time poly-stalker, I thought everyone was in on that by now.
              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Actually, in this case. That's a fair assessment.
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
                  DaShi is my full time poly-stalker, I thought everyone was in on that by now.
                  You didn't think he was exclusively yours did you?

DaShi is a stalking whore.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

The quality is schools in the U.S. is rested heavily on local property taxes and standards of living within the surrounding community. For example, the high school I'm teaching is terrible and churns out functionally illiterate adults. It's a far cry from the type of environment I grew up with.

60 years ago, it probably wouldn't have been that bad given the plethora of blue collar jobs paying living wages but today, a high school graduate who doesn't go to college or trade school will be condemned to a life of poverty unless they are some kind of entrepreneurial genius

It's not hard to envision a future where a large swath of the U.S. population is a permanently underemployed/unemployed and those with education or connections make up a small middle and upper class.
                    Last edited by Riesstiu IV; February 20, 2011, 14:58.

Comment

A large swath of illiterate, underemployed fundies?

Sounds like Pakistan.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        Who the **** cares about reading?

Math/science skills, WTF are they?

That is in the vdare link he posted earlier. Our government will only release the scores for the focus of each test in a detailed fashion so you have to go back to 2003/2006 to get data for math and science for America atleast.

This test is not particularly important, and easy to game so I wouldn't put too much stock into the results. Still American business spending does confirm these results, namely that they are having zero trouble finding qualified workers.
                        Last edited by Whoha; February 20, 2011, 17:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV View Post
                          The quality is schools in the U.S. is rested heavily on local property taxes and standards of living within the surrounding community. For example, the high school I'm teaching is terrible and churns out functionally illiterate adults. It's a far cry from the type of environment I grew up with.
                          In your opinion, would additional funding substantially improve results or is it simply a matter of bad parenting/low intelligence? Or are you a bad teacher because you have a cushy job?

Comment

I feel like haven't been teaching long enough to give a qualified answer. There is no one simple answer. The current state of education in the U.S. is a result of combination of problems that encompass sociological, cultural, and economic factors.

I will try to project my thoughts as someone teaching in a underachieving high school within a poor neighborhood.

Let me tell you the differences between a good school district in an affluent neighborhood and a poor school is like night and day. The curriculum of the standard U.S. government class I am teaching is like something out of middle school. When these kids graduate, they are simply not prepared for the real world job market.

As a teacher, I can only do so much. For example, there are students who flat out refuse to do homework and no amount contact with the parents seems to help. Many parents simply aren't involved in the lives of their children and as a consequence, there is no real incentive to do well. Sometimes the parents are just plan bad but more often than not, these students come from families with financial stress, a sick parent, or other domestic problems.

Yet the failure of education, I think, is just one of many problems decline of the community and shared identity. Everyone is in their own technological ideological bubble searching for self-actualization. There is little faith in the institutions of government. Yet who can blame them? They've seen their standards of living stagnate for thirty years. There is also a strong undercurrent of anti-intellectualism in this country. These aren't problems you can fix overnight. They're a result from decades of development.

Increased funding of schools might help but the problems in education reflect a much deeper problem within the nation.

What would help, more than anything, is if the working class or those in the bottom 50% of this nation were able to earn living wages with their education and cared enough for their nation or community to assert themselves in positive way. Perhaps if we encouraged kids who would not normally go to university to learn a trade or skill. There also needs to be greater emphasis on math and science. In the current school I teach in, there are seniors who don't even understand simple concepts from an Algebra II class.

Fixing education will require tectonic societal shifts. Unfortunately, nations that are in decline will usually rigidly adhere to the status quo. We're going to be in for a rude awakening.

Sorry if my thoughts seem kind of disjointed but I'm a bit hungover.

Comment

Personally, I think your analysis of US culture is flat-out wrong. Following that, so are your conclusions.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Of course a spoiled brat like you with no life experiences beyond mommy and daddy's comfy suburban home would know about the problems facing the nation's poorest.

Comment

Working...
                                X