Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America actually has a pretty good education system

Top Test Scores From Shanghai Stun Educators

With China’s debut in international standardized testing, students in Shanghai have surprised experts by outscoring their counterparts in dozens of other countries, in reading as well as in math and science, according to the results of a respected exam.
    First off its unfair to compare a city to a entire country. Secondly the experts who are surprised have no right to be, since no matter what the US does eventually China (as the country develops) will beat them utterly in international comparisons of this kind.

But the US will still have something to be proud of, Chinese in the US will continue to outperform Chinese in China and this is a testament to there really being something to America besides a mere historic accident of good demographics and a continent ripe for development.

Immigrants in the US can expect a better education for their children than they could get at home, they just can't expect results comparable to top countries or top ranking populations in the US.

Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

How is Israel at 474? Aren't Jews smart?
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
      How is Israel at 474? Aren't Jews smart?
      Obviously there are other factors besides raw IQ going into these results. Otherwise Kazakhstan wouldn't have been beaten by Serbia. And Finland wouldn't have beaten Japan.

Also only Askenazi Jews are notable for their high IQ, they have large populations of others. Israel's low IQ is mostly the result of the fact that US Askenazis had higher IQs than those in Israel, probably a founder population effect (the smarter ones went to the US). Flynn puts Israeli Askenazi IQ at 103, though I think that is a underestimation.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

@Thread title:

In other news, water is wet.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Indeed the US has a fine education system. The problem is the students.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Who the **** cares about reading?

Math/science skills, WTF are they?
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

About $1.50 from a Chinaman.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I know quite a few Chinamen that have moved here to take advantage of American education.

I also know a number of Vietnamese, Japanese, Koreans, and Taiwanese who made the same decision.

Comment

Blue is white?? Since when?
                  Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                  And notifying the next of kin
                  Once again...

Comment

Important aspects of teh chart:

China = yellow
                    US = commies
                    Whites = sad because Asians beat them
                    Muslims = misfits
                    Black = bottom of the list

Comment

Where do Jews fit into that equation, Aeson?

Comment

Israel!
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Jews do n0t fit into the chart bcuz if dey were der den da Muslims wudnt b misfits.

Dey dont fit in Isreal either... Which is y dey need da settlements.

Dey dont fit in bathro0ms 2

Comment

dat reminds me of the joke (witch i will post so u can c how awful it is)..

Y do da poly boys need so many bathro0ms? ...

... So hitler wont no witch shower 2 ho0k da gas 2

Comment

I'm sorry but can anyone translate this alphanumeric gibberish for the English speakers on the board?
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X