No announcement yet.

More Climate Change Email Leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think Y2K is really comparable either. I seem to recall the hysteria being pretty routinely mocked by the media, for one thing. There was nothing like the broad consensus we have with climate change.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
      I don't think Y2K is really comparable either. I seem to recall the hysteria being pretty routinely mocked by the media, for one thing. There was nothing like the broad consensus we have with climate change.
      And most of the experts cautioned against the hysteria, saying it wouldn't be nearly a big deal as the media was hyping.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
        1. It wasn't government regulation that brought about the green revolution.
        2. Do you think it was in response to the threat of starvation, or the fact that farms like making money and becoming 6 times as efficient at producing crops is a bit of a money spinner?
        3. Even if you were right and this were a valid counterpoint to the essay, that leaves numerous other entirely bunk doomsday theories that were Scientifically Proven. I stand by my pillar of salt (as Michael Crichton put it).
        1/2: Yes, governments were involved.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_revolution#History
        3. What, like Y2K? A lot of his examples have nothing to do with what the scientific consensus was.

Comment

I was never entirely clear on what kind of disasters the Y2K bug was supposed to cause anyway. Or how they would occur.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

While there was a lot of hype about Y2K, it does also get presented as a problem which never really existed. From my experience at the time though, there was a lot of stuff that got fixed. Not really end-of-the-world-stuff in terms of what I worked on, but things that needed fixing for businesses to run as they should.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              I was never entirely clear on what kind of disasters the Y2K bug was supposed to cause anyway. Or how they would occur.
              It could lead to undefined behaviour in computer programs.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

All the Fox News political agenda stuff is just amateurish. The GOP should look how things are run in Italy under our good friend Silvio, he has a lot more expertise in this field
                Blah

Comment

Y2K was a problem that existed, but didn't cause major disruption because people spend billions on contractors who spent years fixing compliance issues.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Nice

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

The best part start at about 1:15

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                      X