• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    Republicans NOW largely oppose TARP,
    Wait, Republicans oppose TARP now? Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
      Wait, Republicans oppose TARP now? Wow.
      They mainly started opposing it after the GM bailout. But that particular piece of stupid populism pales in comparison to the Democratic agenda, for instance, the GM bailout.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

They mainly started opposing it after the GM bailout. But that particular piece of stupid populism pales in comparison to the Democratic agenda, for instance, the GM bailout.
        How is one act of populism worse than another?

Comment

Is that a trick question or something?

Okay, I'll answer it: Populism such as "we should bail out auto workers" has a lot more of an impact than "I no longer support a bill that has already passed and been signed into law"

Comment

No. I'm asking why you think it's bad for the Republicans to be populist, but really bad for the Democrats to be populist.

Comment

No. I'm asking why you think it's bad for the Republicans to be populist, but really bad for the Democrats to be populist.
              I think it's very bad to be populist but the Democrats do it more often and in worse ways. Although part of this can be attributed to the fact that they were in control of congress and so were more capable of it.

Comment

Okay, I'll answer it: Populism such as "we should bail out auto workers" has a lot more of an impact than "I no longer support a bill that has already passed and been signed into law"
                Ahh, being a hypocrite and pretending to oppose legislation you voted for is okay as long as it doesn't have an impact.

Comment

Ahh, being a hypocrite and pretending to oppose legislation you voted for is okay as long as it doesn't have an impact.
                  Read my post and tell me exactly where I said it was okay:
                  But that particular piece of stupid populism
                  I think it's very bad to be populist
                  Clearly, not actually doing anything but claiming populism is better than claiming populism and then actually enacting populist legislation. I also think that disagreeing with bailouts is better than obvious payouts to auto unions and teacher's unions (that wasn't a bailout but it was part of a state aid package)

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    Yes, but people don't go to Fox News expecting actual news

Educated people don't, most Americans do.
                    You're Canadian, what do you know?
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Most things.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I read this article few years back. This thread reminded me of it. I think I agree with it.

Comment

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1301095/posts

I read this article few years back. This thread reminded me of it. I think I agree with it.
                          Within a decade, scientists would be decrying a global warming trend that threatened to raise temperatures as much as 30 degrees in the 21st century
                          Even if he meant Fahrenheit, this guy is being massively dishonest.

Comment

Oh no, it’s a population explosion!

Similarly, for all of my adult life, informed people have lived in continual anxiety about an exploding world population and the inevitable resulting mass starvation and environmental degradation.

In the 1960s, experts like Paul Ehrlich spoke with conviction: “In the 1970s the world will undergo famines—hundreds of millions of people are going to starve to death.” Ehrlich argued for compulsory population control if voluntary methods failed. In the 1970s, The Club of Rome (a global think tank) predicted a world population of 14 billion in the year 2030, with no end in sight.

Instead, fertility rates fell steadily. By the end of the century, they were about half what they were in 1950, with the result that many now expect world population to peak at 9 billion or so and then to decline. (It’s estimated to be about 6 billion today.)

And mass starvation never occurred either. Instead, per capita food production increased through the end of the century because of the “green revolution” resulting from increased agricultural efficiency and better seeds. Grain production increased as much as 600% per acre, bringing unprecedented crop yields around the world.
                            So, since that problem was solved by forward thinking people who implemented the green revolution, people should stop thinking about the future and anticipating future challenges... yeah, that makes sense.

Comment

Isn't the freerepublic a satire site?

I hope so.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So, since that problem was solved by forward thinking people who implemented the green revolution, people should stop thinking about the future and anticipating future challenges... yeah, that makes sense.
                                1. It wasn't government regulation that brought about the green revolution.
                                2. Do you think it was in response to the threat of starvation, or the fact that farms like making money and becoming 6 times as efficient at producing crops is a bit of a money spinner?
                                3. Even if you were right and this were a valid counterpoint to the essay, that leaves numerous other entirely bunk doomsday theories that were Scientifically Proven. I stand by my pillar of salt (as Michael Crichton put it).

Comment

Working...
                                X