• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Traianvs View Post
    Presenting climate change as a controversy
    IMMEDIATELY.
    AND EVERY TIME!

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Oh and check out yet another article referring to studies linking Fox with deceit: http://www.alternet.org/story/149193...es_you_stupid/

In eight of the nine questions below, Fox News placed first in the percentage of those who were misinformed (they placed second in the question on TARP). That’s a pretty high batting average for journalistic fraud. Here is a list of what Fox News viewers believe that just aint so:

•91 percent believe the stimulus legislation lost jobs
      •72 percent believe the health reform law will increase the deficit
      •72 percent believe the economy is getting worse
      •60 percent believe climate change is not occurring
      •49 percent believe income taxes have gone up
      •63 percent believe the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts
      •56 percent believe Obama initiated the GM/Chrysler bailout
      •38 percent believe that most Republicans opposed TARP
      •63 percent believe Obama was not born in the U.S. (or that it is unclear)

The conclusion is inescapable. Fox News is deliberately misinforming its viewers and it is doing so for a reason. Every issue above is one in which the Republican Party had a vested interest. The GOP benefited from the ignorance that Fox News helped to proliferate. The results were apparent in the election last month as voters based their decisions on demonstrably false information fed to them by Fox News.
      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

But it sure is entertaining.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well, without Fox John Stewart is out of work really
          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I really don't see what people are so surprised about. Any news outlet that has an editorial board is biased. Fox is just better at being biased than most but that doesn't make the others totally clean. And yes, I pity those that can't tell the difference.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

A lie is not just another opinion or point of view. It is a lie.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yes, but people don't go to Fox News expecting actual news; there are plenty of obvious news sources that are much less biased. They go to it because it reports the news they want to hear. It's not like they're all poor deluded innocents.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Yes, but people don't go to Fox News expecting actual news

Educated people don't, most Americans do.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs View Post
                    Oh and check out yet another article referring to studies linking Fox with deceit: http://www.alternet.org/story/149193...es_you_stupid/

•91 percent believe the stimulus legislation lost jobs
                    •72 percent believe the health reform law will increase the deficit
                    •72 percent believe the economy is getting worse
                    •49 percent believe income taxes have gone up

All of these things are true.... or at least highly debatable in the case of the stimulus.
                    EDIT: You could debate whether the economy's gotten worse, too, because it's either gotten worse or better depending on how you measure it.

56 percent believe Obama initiated the GM/Chrysler bailout

If he didn't initiate it, he supported it...
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

HC is an example of the damage Fox News causes.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        HC is an example of the damage Fox News causes.
                        I don't even watch Fox News. What the **** are you talking about?

FOR EXAMPLE: The health reform law WILL increase the deficit. That CBO score was obvious bull**** and everyone knows it, including the CBO, as they mentioned in a letter to the budget committee.

Comment

Income taxes have gone up?! Since when?
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            I don't even watch Fox News.
                            Then you really have no excuse...

Comment

This study is misleading in other ways as well. Republicans NOW largely oppose TARP, even if they didn't at the time, so it shouldn't be surprising that many people have the perception that they did oppose TARP. As for the stimulus legislation not including tax cuts, considering that a lot of people can't even name their own state's capital I find that hardly surprising.

But there's another reason this study sucks. It doesn't show the control group. This is an obvious, glaring flaw. They didn't compare the results with the results among people generally, which means you have no point of reference and the conclusion is worthless.

EDIT: I'm currently looking at the source ars used to see if it had a control group but the ars article didn't show it if it did and that's what I'm complaining about

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                                Income taxes have gone up?! Since when?
                                Income taxes specifically may not have gone up, but Obama has enacted many tax hikes (although he denies this) and I'm betting a lot of people just hear income tax and think "taxes generally"

Comment

Working...
                                X