X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Climate Change Email Leaks

Fox News on climate: skip the science, report the "controversy"
    By John Timmer

Accusations of biased reporting against Fox News are common enough that they're no longer, well, news. And examples of poor reporting on the science of climate change are painfully common. But it's apparently the season of the leak, and a progressive media organization has obtained a leaked e-mail from Bill Sammon, a managing editor at Fox News, in which he directly orders his reporters to provide misleading science coverage.

Reportedly, a Fox staffer forwarded an internal e-mail to Media Matters, a progressive organization that monitors conservative media outlets. Entitled "Given the controversy over the veracity of climate change data..." it continues:

...we should refrain from asserting that the planet has warmed (or cooled) in any given period without IMMEDIATELY pointing out that such theories are based upon data that critics have called into question. It is not our place as journalists to assert such notions as facts, especially as this debate intensifies.

To a large extent, this represents the triumph of the creationist movement's strategy of claiming there's a controversy about evolution, then demanding coverage of the controversy, rather than the science of evolution. It also requires a similar form of scientific ignorance, in that Sammon doesn't seem to recognize the difference between a measurement of temperature change and the theory that explains these changes.

And the position specifically abdicates any responsibility to identify facts, instead favoring an attempt to appear balanced. Yes, critics have called the temperature record into question. But these criticisms do not appear to be scientifically valid. Some focus on the temperature record created at the CRU (site of the climate e-mail theft), but this is one of three global records, all of which show nearly identical trends (the other two are from NASA and NOAA).

Others focus on the possible impacts of urbanization on the temperature record. However, an analysis of US data suggests that any distortions in temperatures readings are weak and biased toward colder temperatures. A separate analysis identified urban areas by the light they emit at night, and found that "urban effects on analyzed global change are small." (This latter paper is still in revision.)

Even if you discard all temperature records, there is plenty of other evidence that the planet has warmed: the loss of glaciers, the shrinking Arctic ice cap, habitats that have shifted towards the poles and to higher elevations, accelerated animal migrations, etc. And, if you can't be bothered with the underlying science, the US government and scientific societies have both described the reality of climate change.

In short, there may be a controversy over the existence and direction of recent temperature trends, but the controversy doesn't appear to be factual, and it certainly has nothing to do with any theoretical issues. But Sammon doesn't seem interested in learning any of this. On a personal level, that's perfectly acceptable. Unfortunately, Sammon has chosen to turn his willful ignorance into official policy for a large and influential staff of journalists.
    Go at it!
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Fox News, sadface.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

there is a controversy over evolution, the hobbits of Flores just threw a monkey wrench into the descent of man

sorry, this is about climate "change"

nope, its about Fox being little more than propaganda (I try not to add "news" to Fox)

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
        there is a controversy over evolution, the hobbits of Flores just threw a monkey wrench into the descent of man
        And in other news, gravity is in controversy after a heavier than air machine was seen in the sky.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

thats good, nah, descent

but I'd love to hear the explanation for the Hobbits and why they didn't evolve much other than shrinking. They seem to be a survivor population of Java Man (~75 kya) that got stuck on an island that came and went depending on ice ages and changing sea levels, but they're much more recent - legends say they lived up to several hundred years ago, might even be some around today.

Comment

hmm... I dont see a problem with that leaked email (sorry Fox)

It also requires a similar form of scientific ignorance, in that Sammon doesn't seem to recognize the difference between a measurement of temperature change and the theory that explains these changes.
            Thats nitpicking, politically the theory matters more than any slight increase or decrease in temps.

And the position specifically abdicates any responsibility to identify facts, instead favoring an attempt to appear balanced. Yes, critics have called the temperature record into question. But these criticisms do not appear to be scientifically valid.
            wow, who'd of thunk Fox would be accused of appearing balanced? The temp records show we're still warming up after a nasty cold snap that lasted ~500 years. Whats wrong with that? I think thats a good thing. I hope the trend continues, and if our gases help, fine by me. But lets stop playing this ridiculous game of using temp records over the last 150 years as if they represent some abnormal change in climate. And it looks to me like increased volcanic activity and reduced solar output were the primary causes of the little ice age, so I suspect those factors dwarf our emissions.

Comment

Dwarves and hobbits.

Thread of the day.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

thats good, nah, descent

but I'd love to hear the explanation for the Hobbits and why they didn't evolve much other than shrinking. They seem to be a survivor population of Java Man (~75 kya) that got stuck on an island that came and went depending on ice ages and changing sea levels, but they're much more recent - legends say they lived up to several hundred years ago, might even be some around today.
                Legends also say there's a sauropod still living in central Africa, and a plesiosaur in a Scottish lake. Anyway, the strongest argument against evolution remains the panda bear. Damned thing's too stupid to have sex properly--and on the rare occasion it does, it hardly matters, since they refuse to eat a nutritious diet and so every kid Ling-Ling has is a preemie. It's hard to imagine a species more maladaptive, yet there they are. Damned pandas.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

thats good, nah, descent

Homo floreseinsis

I don't see anything about it that "throws a monkey wrench" into the descent of man. That's just creationists wanking.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The world is a ****ing monkey wrench in creationism. God created dinos and then killed them off and buried them way underground to TEST FAITH ****ERS!!! Either creationism is a lie or God is childish ****ing idiot.
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

The email:

Sent: Tue Dec 08 12:49:51 2009
                      Subject: Given the controversy over the veracity of climate change data…
                      …we should refrain from asserting that the planet has warmed (or cooled) in any given period without IMMEDIATELY pointing out that such theories are based upon data that critics have called into question. It is not our place as journalists to assert such notions as facts, especially as this debate intensifies.

...What exactly is the problem here?
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

The agenda is something most people would have a problem with.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                          http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/al...ia-have-a-fit/

The email:

…we should refrain from asserting that the planet has warmed (or cooled) in any given period without IMMEDIATELY pointing out that such theories are based upon data that critics have called into question. It is not our place as journalists to assert such notions as facts, especially as this debate intensifies.

Journalism shouldn't assert facts. Journalism should facilitate debate?
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

The email:

Asserting that the recent increase in average global temperature is somehow a controversy?

Comment

The email:

Presenting climate change as a controversy, when 95% agree that it is a fact (to at least some degree).

Representing those few skeptics as an 'equal' adversary is deception, plain and simple. Fox should be ****ing dragged to court with their 'Fair and balanced' catchphrase.

It's no less than a precursor to the downfall of democracy: when the masses are fed lies on such a scale, the time of mob rule or ochlocracy is near.
                              Last edited by Traianvs; December 16, 2010, 16:29.
                              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
                              X