No announcement yet.

Computer to play Jeopardy against past champions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watson can't know for certain how day 2 will turn out, but it can get a pretty good idea based on the thousands of previous matches it has on record and the millions of simulated matches it has played. Lord Almighty this is going in circles. I'm gonna go run a few laps and then maybe pound my head against a wall.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

yeah, maybe that will beat some sense into your brain.

Let's try another path. Do you think the two humans were the best ever Jeopardy players? I'd have to think so. In a two day match, do you think they would have been as timid as Watson was on the first day or do you think they would have tried to pad the lead a bit more?
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
        On day one with 150k or more possible at stake the next day Watson can't know for certain how day two is going to go so amassing a good cushion the first day is the best strategy. He did play for a decent cushion but in my opinion not enough. And I believe that if Jenning had gotten both DDs in the DJ round on day two, it might have been the difference. So I don't think you're getting it. Watson can do all the prediction he wants, the certainty doesn't become 100%. With over 150K at stake the next day, he could have been more aggressive the first day.
        In your opinion not good enough, in fact, good enough.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

And please explain that final bet yesterday by watson.
          According to you, watson was just trying to win and was not concerned with the margin of victory, yet if that was the case, explain why watson bet more that he had to in order to win.
          If you say, well watson had already guaranteed the win and had nothing to lose so it was looking at margin of victory, why didn't watson bet more, since he could have without risk of losing.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

In your opinion not good enough, in fact, good enough.
            Yes, I agree, that in fact it was good enough, but I think the best players in the world would have played it more aggressively.
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Should get Dale in to tweak the AI.
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                Should get Dale in to tweak the AI.
                Then Jennings would have won
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'll take Mammals for 400.

Ailuropoda melanoleuca, literally meaning "black and white cat-foot" is a bear native to central-western and south western China.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

What do pandas have to do with anything?? You guys always speak in riddles!

Comment

It looks like this is my lucky day! I'll take "The Rapists" for $200.
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                        It looks like this is my lucky day! I'll take "The Rapists" for $200.
                        I'd pay to watch Watson play SNL Celebrity Jeopardy.

Also, I've watched that Watson game, why do they always answer "What is X?" instead of "Is it X?" or just "X?"
                        Last edited by onodera; February 17, 2011, 17:47.
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Didn't read the thread, just read that Watson had the whole Wikipedia plus the content of several hundred million of pages full of info at his disposal. So in short: he was cheating, unless the humanoids were allowed to google too
                          Blah

Comment

That knowledge was stored in Watson's system. It didn't have access to the internet. It simply studied beforehand, like all good Jeopardy contestants do.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

If Watson won this I can't imagine how good Sherlock is.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Rah, over the long run, the strategy that puts the computer 1 dollar over 99 percent of the time, is better than a strategy that puts him 60k up 90 percent of the time.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X